1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Birfield - How is it different compare to

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by 410225, Feb 10, 2004.

1. 410225

I have noticed Land Rover Discovery has the birfield almost same concept as Landcruiser but repacking the labor, there is a huge difference. Is this two totally different set up? I apologize my lack of mechanical aptitude but from simple observation and cost comparison between 97 Discovery and 97 Landcruiser, I find this interesting.

2. shocker

shocker

I believe Discoveries come from the factory with gear oil and not grease in their CV joints. A mixture of grease and gear oil can be added if so desired by the owner.

Anyway, swapping out the lubricant in a Disco involves simply draining the old, and filling with new. Depending on the job, the knuckle may be dissasembled to replace seals, especially knuckle wipers which obviously develop quite a leak with this setup. I know, big surprise, a Land Rover with a leak.

Aside from that (to add some 80's content to this thread), the Disco's birfield is the same size as earlier Land Cruisers (40, 55, 60 series), where as the 80 series is about 1.5 times as big.

And just some more information, so that I can flex my noodle, Series II Discoveries (1999 - 2004) dispensed with the enclosed birfield style joint and intead use one protected by a rubber boot, similar to what you'd see in an IFS vehicle.

3. Junk

Junk

I think that Land Rover doesn't charge much because they don't expect you to have much money left after paying your weekly repair bill as it is. There's not much reason to maintain a dico since they are disposable. Can you think of other things that are disposable?

4. 410225

Junk,

Surprisingly, my wife's 97Disco has been extremely reliable. Yes, there is an oil leak but hey, it is Land Rover. Except that, we did not have to put major money into it except for the oil change and regular maintenance. WHo knows since she only has 67k mi on her rig.

Everybody knows the reliability of Toyota and that is why I bought the Landcruiser.

5. PHAEDRUS

PHAEDRUS

MN,
    from several freinds of mine with discos including a service manager at the disco dealer dump it before 80k, thats when the trans will puke and then you are out 3k.
    Dave

6. Rogue

Rogue

This picture was posted on pirate last week. The birf on the right is an 80 birf. The left is I believe from a older Cruiser or possibly a Toy Mini.

7. Junk

Junk

Rogue, you spend too much time on the internet. :flipoff2:

8. shocker

shocker

9. Junk

Junk

Shocker, next time wipe them off after you sit on them but BEFORE the pics. :flipoff2: :D

10. Rogue

Rogue

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=11300;start=msg102574#msg102574 date=1076434017]
    Rogue, you spend too much time on the internet. :flipoff2:
    [/quote]

And my grades reflect it. :flipoff2:

11. shocker

shocker

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=11300;start=msg102598#msg102598 date=1076435756]
    Shocker, next time wipe them off after you sit on them but BEFORE the pics. :flipoff2: :D
    [/quote]

Well, I DID use moly grease :-* :flipoff2:

12. alia176

alia176

Albums:
    Some LR owners, including myself, have switched to Corn Head grease from John Deere. Seemingly, it has the same properties as the "one shot" grease from LR. A few people on the POR board have switched to using grease in the birfs. Size wise, the 80 birfs seem much larger than the LR birfs. You can use the same birfs out of Chrysler mini vans for a cost savings measure. In the case of the LR, the birf housing (or CV housing) is attached to the axle housing using 12 or so bolts. One can replace the swipe seal w/o taking apart the whole assembly by simply moving the brake caliper and the ABS sensor out of the way.