Birfield forensics ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any idea of what what caused this damage? 72 fj40 I bought three years ago. Just getting around to rebuilding the knuckles. Did the passenger side first. Other than being too loose all was in good shape. Replaced upper/lower bearings and axle seal. Torqued everything down with the original shims and it was still too loose. Replaced shims with the 2 supplied with the rebuild kit and came up with 5 lbs of resistance and called it done. Drivers side was different #1 The nuts on the knuckle arm were loose and the cone washers are missing. They were replaced with just flat washers. #2 The bottom knuckle bearing cap was also loose but have the cone washers in place. I could move the knuckle up and down enough to see, feel and hear. Once the axle was out, knuckle removed and things cleaned a bit I can see this damage (clearance issue?). My guess is that perhaps previously a birfield joint broke and was replaced? I don’t see damage on the current joint.

36AE0A18-5CD8-4B3C-882D-C63F24FB4382.jpeg

7A8E0103-FA34-4F1B-82F0-5542DDC3DDA1.jpeg

BE056F84-B397-4DF7-A1B3-428099F4E044.jpeg

If the knuckle was very loose it could probably cause that wear. Also look at the condition of the locking hub
Any idea of what what caused this damage? 72 fj40 I bought three years ago. Just getting around to rebuilding the knuckles. Did the passenger side first. Other than being too loose all was in good shape. Replaced upper/lower bearings and axle seal. Torqued everything down with the original shims and it was still too loose. Replaced shims with the 2 supplied with the rebuild kit and came up with 5 lbs of resistance and called it done. Drivers side was different #1 The nuts on the knuckle arm were loose and the cone washers are missing. They were replaced with just flat washers. #2 The bottom knuckle bearing cap was also loose but have the cone washers in place. I could move the knuckle up and down enough to see, feel and hear. Once the axle was out, knuckle removed and things cleaned a bit I can see this damage (clearance issue?). My guess is that perhaps previously a birfield joint broke and was replaced? I don’t see damage on the current joint.

View attachment 2625380

View attachment 2625381

View attachment 2625382

and the spindle bushing.

A broken birfiled would show scarring and random gauging all around the inside of the knuckle and ball. Your scarring appears to be limited to the top and bottom of the knuckle and ball. My guess is with the trunion bearings being bad and the knuckle moving up and down, the birfield large end was rubbing inside the top and bottom of the axle housing ball.

Cleaning the knuckle I found a piece of metal. No clue as to what it was? I may have tossed more pieces out with the old grease. It is hardened steel and by itself could of caused the damage before it found itself a spot to rest. Looks maybe like a roller out of a bearing? Although the bearings I removed were bad they weren’t destroyed?

30BD0558-B2F9-4E4F-B09A-A75272311062.png

16B991F9-8784-4FB1-AE44-90B47668464A.png

11C10A9A-B7D8-4948-A587-0684E5FBEE8F.jpeg

Perhaps a broken birfield at one time, repaired, but pieces left in there to do damage ?

I know this is an old post but I just found it. I found similar damage from a previous issue this last week when I started my front axle tear down.

FRONT AXLE PREVIOUS DAMAGE.jpg

both pictures look like they were ground out by prior owner to fit fj60 birfields in, they are bigger and need to be clearanced. It does not look to me like it is from rubbing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom