Birfield damage *Pics* (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I broke my passenger birfield in the mud :eek:

Wanted to show ya'll some pics and hopefully you can help figure out what this seal looking thing is and where it came from. I had to pull the 3rd member to get it out(it was inside axle housing). You can tell in the top picture it is too big to make it through the hole in the cavity. CruiserDan said there isn't suppose to be inside inside there like that, so where the hell did it come from?
Zring.jpg
Zbirf.jpg
Zabsring.jpg

Oh ya, I ordered two Longfields yesterday. I am going to make the driver side OEM birfield a spare. Anyways, here are some more pictures, let me know if you see anything that is a problem or needs to be repaired.
Zstar.jpg
Zcav.jpg

Here is some of the junk I found in there.
Zcarnage.jpg

That is the centering ring that we talked about. The photo identifies it for me. At one time it was inside the housing out near the end. The flopping bits broke it loose. If you look on the opposite side you will see the other one. You have an expensive mess on your hands.

Last edited:
You are going to need an ABS front harness assembly. 04895-60060, list $530.04.....:eek:

You are also going to need an OEM birf to get the ABS ring. The aftermarket ones do not come with rings and the rings are not serviced seprately.

cruiserdan said:
You have an expensive mess on your hands.

:eek:

Please guide me in the right direction

Take a picture of the back side of the spindle please.

If you can't tell, both the owner and the car are sick now.
Zcar.jpg

So what happened? Sorry about the birfs. :doh:

cruiserdan said:
You are going to need an ABS front harness assembly. 04895-60060, list $530.04.....:eek:

You are also going to need an OEM birf to get the ABS ring. The aftermarket ones do not come with rings and the rings are not serviced seprately.

I think I have decided to go w/o abs. Seems like it will cost a 1000 or so to get it, with the harness and rings. I have been driving with out for about 3 months now.

I cannot get the spindle pics at the moment.

Ouch!

Are you getting new inner axles from Long too? Your splines are fairly beat on the end, nothing some detailed filing won't fix, but be prepared both when removing the old star and installing the new birf.

cruiseroutfit said:
Ouch!

Are you getting new inner axles from Long too? Your splines are fairly beat on the end, nothing some detailed filing won't fix, but be prepared both when removing the old star and installing the new birf.

I will not be getting new inners from long or anyone at this point, looks like I got plenty of money to spend already :rolleyes: . Do they make inners for 80-series cruisers? I really need to to get by with what I have.

i'm sooooo glad

i drive the old stuff!
:eek: looks and sounds expensive....even at wholesale pricing ;)

It's getting so it's cheaper to source a used entire front end :(.

elmariachi said:
Can that centering ring be reinstalled/welded back in place? If not, how will he stab the shaft without scuffing up the new inner seal?

Semlin delt with that issue some tme back. He was able to reposition it. It's not clear to me if they are originally tacked in place or if they are a press fit.

In the sixth picture what is the piece on the far right and what is it that looks like copper wiring?

It might be the spindle bushing, that is why I asked for a photo of the back of the spindle.

elmariachi said:
Can that centering ring be reinstalled/welded back in place? If not, how will he stab the shaft without scuffing up the new inner seal?

Lay the truck on its side, and let gravity do its work ;)

I know of alot of earlier axles that don't have the centering rings, they just have to be really careful and precise with the inner axle seal, and even at that, they run the risk of scuffing it up.

I think they are pressed in, as I have moved them before (its been a while, I can't recall 100% and that was on earlier Toy axles)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom