Birfield (cage and star) wear - Is this normal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OB-1

SILVER Star
Threads
So I'm getting ready to put everything back together in the next day or so (finally) on my front axle rebuild and wanted to ease my worries about the cage and star wear.

I'm wondering if this looks like normal or abnormal wear. Should I be replacing the birf if it looks like this or am I just over-thinking it?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
DSC02081.jpg
DSC02079.jpg
DSC02093.jpg

And this is what the star looks like.
DSC02094.jpg
DSC02097.jpg
DSC02098.jpg

And the inside of the birf.
DSC02086.jpg
DSC02083.jpg
DSC02084.jpg

I had a birf that was that worn....those 'grooves' in the star and bell aren't there when new.

Ordered up a pair of stock replacements on EBay (CV Unlimited)....IIRC, $165ea for the 1996 version and they included the ABS ring.

Thanks for the info Woody. That's exactly what I was worried about.

I guess I should have mentioned I have 157,000 on the clock.

I'm unsure as to any previous work done on it, probably the first time the front axle is getting serviced. I did have some minor clicking when turning, although I'm not certain as to what side it was coming from.

Mine didn't look that bad (I don't think at least) and I have way more miles that you Jorge.
If you're worried about it get new ones, it comes down to how you feel about it. When I finally get you out on one of our trail rides we'll see how they hold up :grinpimp:

Speaking of it you get it done by saturday evening come out to Uwharrie and join us.

Mine didn't look that bad (I don't think at least) and I have way more miles that you Jorge.
If you're worried about it get new ones, it comes down to how you feel about it. When I finally get you out on one of our trail rides we'll see how they hold up :grinpimp:

Speaking of it you get it done by saturday evening come out to Uwharrie and join us.

Well, I was really hoping not to have to replace them right now. I'm wondering if they will be ok for another 60k miles.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to test them out that early. Been out of town too many weekends recently. Maybe next time.

Well there's your answer right there. Don't replace them.... if they do start to be a problem or do break.... you know now how to get to them and replace them. Put them back in and let them ride.

For purposes of comparison, here's mine @ 125K.

526997090_rsD6N-M.jpg

-KK

For purposes of comparison, here's mine @ 125K.

526997090_rsD6N-M.jpg

-KK

Thanks Kurt. Of course, yours is in better condition but with a slightly similar wear pattern.

Did you replace them? And if you didn't, how are they holding up?

Birf%20Damage.jpg

I didn't pull mine apart, but you can see in this photo, every slot in the cage has a chink missing, and the star has matching chinks as well. You can also see how the slots have worn larger.
The wear around the rim of the bell is older, unrelated damage.

This birf was not clicking--although I never really tired to get it to click. I replaced it with a less-used birf (can't remember mileage). I am confident it would have gone thousands more miles, and who knows when it would have given out if it wasn't wheeled (maybe never).

This birf actually has a noticeable amount of play between in the outer stub and the inner shaft--and I can feel that things are tighter in the truck now that I've replaced it.

Anyway, I wouldn't sweat your birf wear one bit. Replace it when you're ready and keep driving your truck.

This birf actually has a noticeable amount of play between in the outer stub and the inner shaft--and I can feel that things are tighter in the truck now that I've replaced it.

Anyway, I wouldn't sweat your birf wear one bit. Replace it when you're ready and keep driving your truck.

Thanks for the info Hayes. I don't recall mine having any excessive play before I took it apart.

I think I'm going to go ahead and grease her up and slap her back together...the birf that is :grinpimp:. I'll start budgeting for replacement birfs in the meantime. Hopefully I will get the recommended 60k from this rebuild before I have to open her up again.

Thanks for the input everyone. :cheers:

Jorge is this your daily driver??
I can't remember if you told me that it was.

Jorge is this your daily driver??
I can't remember if you told me that it was.

No, especially since I've been working on the rebuild for the past 3 weeks :eek: (in between my out-of-town trips).

At the most I drive it a couple of days a week - roughly 100 miles. But I want to be able to take it on the occasional trip to the mountains or the coast without any worries. I'm also planning on doing the entire length of the Blue Ridge Parkway with some side trails and camping in the next year or so.

OB 1, mine looked the same at 150k, they are now paper weights at my desk. I had mine replaced a few months ago, NO MORE CLICKING! I ordered my replacements from Christo at Slee off-road. The light duty replacements were 225 each, the other necessary parts I ordered from CDan. Probably 6-700$ in all.

Shaun

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom