Birf prepare list (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lx450landcruiser

Threads
Ok all the info is on this board but it took some time to find all the tools and what not so i thought maybe ill just post a list of stuff i used and wouldnt wanna do with out for the job.

So......

Tools include

Brake cleaner (the more you get the faster the cleaning will go)

Mineral spirits (I would say at least a gallon)

A tooth brush is handy as is a wire brush (to get the crud off)

Lots of shop towels (Again the more you have the faster cleaning will go)

Plasitc sheets are nice as is card board (place it on the floor for dissesembly, then put a new sheet down for assembly. keeps things clean)

Brass hammer

Brass Drift (at least one)

Gasket or seal puller

Wood handle (for seating and driving in inner seal)

Fish scale (to test pre load)

54mm or 2 1/8 socekt (must be semi thin and deep as it has to fit in the hub and miss the stud)

Snap ring pliers

Flat head screw driver (Best to have one u dont care about that you can grind to a bit of a point, this way u can pop off the dust cap and also use it to pry parts apart)

Jack stands

Jack

Torq wrench (for specific torq ratings on assembly)

Wrench or rachet in sizes 10,12,14,17, 24 (I may be forgetting a few?)

Drain pan (for diff fluid)

Small pump (for replacement of diff fluid)

Small puddy knife (helps with the grease part)

Freezer (to freeze the races so they fall in easier)

At least 5 tubes of synthetic moly greese

Hose clamp (this is if you break the birf apart, u will use it to tighten the c clip to slid the birf back together)

Half a fence post with rag stuffed in one end (this is your birf breaking tool)

Can of black paint ( this is optional while ur in there cleaning things up shoot some coats over stuff so it wont rust)

I may or may not have missed some things so if you can think of anything please add here so people can simply look here.

good luck
mike

Excellent list. I went through some 8 cans of brake cleaner, and agree the more you have the faster things will go as eyeing a dwindling stock of it will make you use it less liberally, and thus slow you down. Get a half dozen pairs of nitrile gloves for the cleaning part as brake cleaner is a known carcinogen. Also, add a coat hanger or similar to suspend the calipers out of harm's way while working on each side.

To this I would add a precleaning procedure I've used twice that makes the job WAY more pleasant and WAY less messy. Buy two cans of Gunk foaming engine cleaner or the like. With newspaper under the birf the day before the job, use the screwdrivers and toothbrushes to get 90 percent of the dried, dirty crud off the knuckle area and top of axle housing. Then drive to a spray carwash stall with a piece of plastic to kneel on on thee wet floor. Get down there and soak the knuckle areas well, then kick back for 5 minutes chatting on the cell phone or whatever. Then spray them off trying not to get the hard spray too close to things such as the ABS wire connector (let the cleaner do the work, then spray off vs directly blasting things with high pressure). Repeat. Now when you start opening things up you'll just find a little pocket of gritty dirt here and there and will be amazed at how clean things are. No huge pile of greasy grimy crud to deal with.

DougM

I always have a couple of bowls or old soup cans to hold my small parts, nuts and bolts. Put some mineral spirits in them and you can clean them in there, too.

lx450landcruiser said:
Ok all the info is on this board but it took some time to find all the tools and what not so i thought maybe ill just post a list of stuff i used and wouldnt wanna do with out for the job.

So......

Tools include

Mineral spirits (I would say at least a gallon)
mike
What is Mineral Spirits?

Brass Drift (at least one)

A good source is a metal yard or good hardware store will carry brass stock in a selection of sizes and shapes, round, hex, flat,,,, pick a size and shape, cut as long as needed. I use brass and aluminum all the time to pummel stuff where I don't want to leave a mark! :D

Then drive to a spray carwash stall with a piece of plastic to kneel on on thee wet floor. Get down there and soak the knuckle areas well, then kick back for 5 minutes chatting on the cell phone or whatever. Then spray them off trying not to get the hard spray too close to things such as the ABS wire connector (let the cleaner do the work, then spray off vs directly blasting things with high pressure). Repeat.

I do this often as part of my PM, it's much easier to spray off a little bit often than scrape off years worth and working on a clean under carriage is much nicer! When you get the birfs out, load them up with all the big parts and hose them off at the carwash, it makes short work of the grease. Add another round of quarters and clean the wash bay for the next guy when your done.

Safety glasses as some of the break cleaner will splash back in your eye, at least it always seems to for me :crybaby:

Lat week end I help do one and a parts cleaner filled with Castrol Super Clean cut down the cleaning time a lot. Just not sure if you want to buy a parts cleaner.

Also add a helper to your list if possible.

Box of rubber gloves-just keep changing them as needed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom