birf length difference (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lt1fire

SILVER Star
Threads
Which part of the axle makes using longer birfs ok. Only reason I ask is I have an axle with 4.88 gears and an ARB locker that I am putting in my 92 but I am going to reuse my birfs from the 92. What part from my old axle will I have ot re-use to make this possible.

Unless I am misinterpreting your question, I think you're referring to the later birfs with longer splines--at the drive flange. If you put longer birfs (~1995+??) in your older truck, you just need new drive flanges with longer splines to match. I did this on my 1993.

Unless I am misinterpreting your question, I think you're referring to the later birfs with longer splines--at the drive flange. If you put longer birfs (~1995+??) in your older truck, you just need new drive flanges with longer splines to match. I did this on my 1993.

Actually i'm putting shorter birfs in a new axle but you answered my question. I thought that is what it was but I needed to make sure... thanks.

91-94 use a shorter outer axle lenght / thinner drive flange. 95-97 use longer shaft / thicker flange. You can use the later axles in older truck, just have to use the newer flanges too. We stock them, because all our birfields are done in the later longer design.

Which part of the axle makes using longer birfs ok. Only reason I ask is I have an axle with 4.88 gears and an ARB locker that I am putting in my 92 but I am going to reuse my birfs from the 92. What part from my old axle will I have ot re-use to make this possible.

91-94 use a shorter outer axle lenght / thinner drive flange. 95-97 use longer shaft / thicker flange. You can use the later axles in older truck, just have to use the newer flanges too. We stock them, because all our birfields are done in the later longer design.
Are your 4340 birfs Longfields?

The one benefit of the shorter birfs is that you can run Aisin Hubs when you convert to part time, rather than Warns or the ones Slee sells... It would be nice if Bobby would make the short version, then we could run cro-mo hub gears as well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom