Birf Job - Parts Washer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.ralphmawyerphotography.com
Is a 3.5 gal parts washer from Northern Tools or Harbor Freight sufficient for this job or do I just get a big 5 gal bucket. The 20 gal is overkill for me for a one time job(more or less). Open to convincing...but I'm about ready to budget for an additonal garage to care and feed this beast. ;)

Along that line has anyone used a non-petro based parts cleaner...though I guess after the cleaning it pretty much becomes oil-based from a disposal standpoint.

I used the 20 gal one that goes on sale for $50 - 79. The small one (3.5) would be useful for washing the nuts and bolts, but I don't know how well it would work for the birfs. I know a lot of guys just soak the business end in a 5 gal bucket.

As for cleaner I went to the local chem lab and was able to buy 100% Naptha. I think the parts cleaner HF sells probably works just fine. GOod luck!

This has been discussed some...if you search you might find some other opinons instead of waiting for them to reply.

In the past when I did these jobs for customers at their house I would use the 6-8 quart slop pans (fluid catchment) from checker or autozone. Then buy a parts brush. I used either diesel or plan old gas(yes I know the hazards, but gas strips the best). Clean with brake parts cleaner the bearing and rotors. I usually set a piece of ply wood on saw horses to act as a bench. Thus I could lay out all the parts before and after I tore down the axle. All the stuff I used could go on the roof rack or inside the cruiser( I work out of my 80 for awhile). The jacks and the 2.5 ton floor jack, two boxes of tools. I am so spoiled at the shop now days. A parts washer for one job is a waste to me. later robbie

If only a one time job I'm not sure it would be worth your while. I started a thread a while back and it was kicked around here in outfitting. Soon as my garage is finished I am going with the 20 gal version from harbor freight.

take a look here if you want

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom