Birf job completed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Over the course of two evenings and one full day I tackled the front birf service on my 1996 LC w/ 133,000 miles. This site and the Birf DVD enabled me to complete the job without any problems what so ever !!! I'm sure this was the first Birf service the truck has received, when I drained the Diff fluid it was greenish and gloppy - the birf's though still had plenty of grease in them.

Some thoughts about how I did mine for those getting ready to tackle the job.

I had both wheels off the ground - but only broke down one side at a time.
This helped me to fit my torq. wrench on some fasteners because I was able to turn the wheels to the right or left as needed. I did however have to block the opposite wheel while tightening some of the bolts to keep everything from just spinning - I would do it the same way next time.

Cleaning everything will take you 3/4 of the time you spend doing this service - I didn't try to clean the outside of the knuckles prior to taking them apart. I read on hear some suggestions about degreasers and a trip to the carwash prior to starting - I SHOULD HAVE DONE THIS - I would have saved some time.

I bought a 1.5 inch grease needle for the end of the flexible hose on the grease gun, it worked GREAT !!! The needle made filling the knuckle/birf cavity a piece of cake. It also made packing the Birf's very simple. ( this is not the sharp needle but the one the that is slightly larger in dia.)

I'm very particular about cleaning stuff - I went thru 11 cans of brake parts cleaner and one gallon of degreaser. I went thru 11 rolls of paper towelsand a bunch of rubber gloves.

As with another very recent Birf poster, I used 3 tubes of Moly (Valvoline) and I tube of Moblie 1 syn. WB grease.

The condition of the truck was excellent, the spindles, axles, birf's all looked great. I replaced the trunion bearings, which did show some slight wear. I reused the wheel bearings that looked good even though one of the outer ones was pretty gunked up (but cleaned up well).

I had purchased a Lysle (sp. ?) bearing/seal driver set - it is a MUST HAVE , in my opinion . Made seal and race installation effortless.

I only have one remaining question - how long/ or how many miles should I drive the LC before draining and refilling the Diff. again???

thanks for all the great info and posts on this board.

Zach

zklebe said:
I only have one remaining question - how long/ or how many miles should I drive the LC before draining and refilling the Diff. again???

Zach

Zach--

I assume you drained and refilled upon completion of the birf. job--right?

If so, did you use dino or synth?

My schedule is as follows (and I am a bit anal):

After the first birf. job, I filled with dino and drove for about 1000 miles or so (one month) and then did a drain and refill. This will tell you a bunch if you got the inner oil seal on correctly, or if it is bleeding through, either direction.

Then I did a synthetic Mobil 1 diff. fluid for the rest of the year. Now, I just drain and refill about every 3K miles...I know it don't need it necessarily, but for me the extra $20 on a bucket of cheap gear oil is worth it.

Best and congrats.
-onur
Akron, OH

With fresh gear oil in now, you can run until the next specified diff oil change. Whatever minor amounts of grease that might be in the diff/axle housing won't influence the properties of the diff oil - unless yours came out of the diff very thick like pudding. If it drained normally, but was simply off color, you're good to go with a normal schedule. If thick, I'd drain and refill in a few months and then be back on a normal schedule.

It's wise to recheck the torque of the 4 large nuts on the bottom of the knuckles after a month - some have had these loosen up. And yes, that pre birf job cleanup pays huge dividends as you can now appreciate. Half that cleanup time and the materials you used would have been eliminated with a pair of $4 spray cans of degreaser and $5 worth of quarters at the car wash.

Good job!

DougM

replys

Thanks guys for the replys. Yes I drained and refilled as part of the diff service.

I will probably drain and refill after 1000 miles. I plan on using dino - it will encourage me to change it more frequently. I still have to come up with a better delivery system for the diff. oil. I bought a funnel with a short hose on it. The funnel is marked but I guess I really need to add about three feet of hose to raise it above the the engine so I can hang it from the raised hood.

I will make a note on the calender to recheck the torque on the lower four bolts !

Thanks

Zach

zklebe said:
I still have to come up with a better delivery system for the diff. oil. I bought a funnel with a short hose on it.

I tried the funnel approach the first time, too. Quite a trick getting sufficient angle to fill without pouring gear oil all over :doh:

I've found a few different versions of hand pumps that work very well. They screw into the top of the container (quart, gallon, etc.) with a 18" or so hose. Makes filling the transfer case and diffs a breeze. :)

Some local auto parts stores had them. Amsoil also has them.

When I did my axle service, the wheel bearings were all fine, but one of the trunion bearings was galled. My front left camber was off beforehand, and a few of the Elders have suggested trunion bearings could be the cause. Haven't had an alignment since, so I don't know results yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom