Birf DVD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any other way of getting a copy of elmariachi's birf dvd? I pm'd him a while back and haven't heard back. I'd be glad to pay for it of course. Thanks

Some of you folks out there already have a copy of this dvd. It shouldn't be too much trouble to make a copy of the dvd on your computer. I will pay you $10 plus shipping for the trouble.

If I can get my hands on a copy I can make copies and send them out for the price of shipping.

Skii,

Um, I don't know any way to say this politely. You're basically suggesting someone make a copy of a DVD Elmariachi makes and sells? And also offering to make them yourself and start shipping them? You might consider deleting your thread.

DougM

While I agree its very questionable on an ethics standpoint, if elmariachi won't respond to PM's, what other options might be available?

I don't have an answer to that other than to say everybody's life has busy periods, vacations, injuries, and a whole myriad of uncertainties. I don't know him at all, but a need for fast response doesn't trump ethics in my book.

DougM

I don't have an answer to that other than to say everybody's life has busy periods, vacations, injuries, and a whole myriad of uncertainties. I don't know him at all, but a need for fast response doesn't trump ethics in my book.

DougM

Ah, the wonderful grey world of intellectual property.

If I borrow the DVD, that's okay. If I go over to the owners house and watch it, that's okay. If I have a copy made....it's not okay (even if I cannot get the original)?

If elmariachi isn't available--which he isn't, his last activity was last year (Last Activity: 12-30-09 04:57 AM)--then it's something of a grey area.

I think it's less of a case of a "fast response" and more of "any response at all."

Legally and ethically speaking if you have someone mail you their original DVD, you use it, then mail it back to them when done, you're 100% good. So there's always that route.

I had pm'd him like 2 weeks ago about the DVD and figured it was a no go anyways.

But between the FSM and reading the FAQ thing here a million times I don't see why you would need a DVD though it would be nice if you could get a hold of one though I won't be using one on my first front end rebuild later this week.

Huh - bummer. Didn't know he's been gone.

DougM

It is far from unreasonable to consider that when someone offers a product that later becomes discontinued or no longer available it can be sold as used. I can then sell this used item to someone if I like. I admit that distribution can be called into question but my intention was to help out a few people on this forum, certainly not for a profit, hence "for the price of shipping".

But please, unless you can furnish a legitimate term of 'ethics' your argument remains empty, invalid and simply a rash assumption. We're going to need to do better than typical blogesque 'in my book' pontifications.

I don't a thing about copy right law. Does anyone know if the guy selling this DVD did? i.e., I think you have to actually do something to copyright the materials, otherwise the youtube place where I'm watching Moad videos is sooooo in trouble.

So, any markings on the DVD or content which states that it is copy right protected?

I don't a thing about copy right law. Does anyone know if the guy selling this DVD did? i.e., I think you have to actually do something to copyright the materials, otherwise the youtube place where I'm watching Moad videos is sooooo in trouble.

So, any markings on the DVD or content which states that it is copy right protected?

Everything by law is copyrighted. Including this sentence.

Now if it's not registered, then the damages that can be claimed are hugely limited. But legally you cannot make a copy of a work, even if it's a "dead" work where the original creator cannot be found (or reached).

Just reading that...maybe. I guess that is why lawyers get the big bucks.

Not sure an opinion is copyrightable. But I'll make sure not to quote you.

I would also be interested in this DVD if anyone can get there hands on it.

I have read the FAQ'S about the rebuild over and over and read a bunch of post but I learn and understand thing better if I can watch it first.

I agree with Skil, whats the harm with helping out fellow mud members. If you have a problem with it just don't make/get a copy from someone.

Cheers

Well me being a novice mechanic doing my first front axle rebuild going by the FAQ and FSM and myself having a camcorder I can record my thing later this week and then burn some DVD's and send them out practically free if people want them.

If someone happens to make one before the 1-1.5 weeks from now they can do the same if they want. :)

DVD

GOOD NEWS he is STILL around. just got my DVD today from him. he was out of town/traveling for a while. use his email though this site. he said in a post somewhere that he doesnt check PMs much anymore.

Nice... Glad to hear he's still around.
I would like to grab a DVD just to see what I'll be jumping into sometime in the future.

Good to hear.

Ordered a dvd from him tonight, went the extra mile so I would have it in my hands friday for the service. Thanks again Jim!

Hi Guys,

For those of you who have chosen NOT to pirate my DVD, my kids say thanks (they get the money), and it is still available. If you search and read the two posts where I offer it for sale, I ask to not send me PMs, as I rarely check my PM box. I have replied to all the inquiries I have received as of today at 9AM. For future note, please email me if you want a DVD, and we typically ship on Saturdays. Price is $25 each including USPS first class mail for the Continental US. Versus $1000 for labor at a repair facility, I'd say that's not a bad deal.

Thanks guys.

Jim

Last edited:
BTW, to Idaho Doug specifically, I am still around Mud from time to time. I am still actively involved with the Lone Star club here in Texas, though I have bought a new Tundra (to pull my Shelby Cobra with) and am in the process of selling this my SEVENTH 80 Series (which never needed a head gasket.)

I was an active member of the 80 Series mailing list LONG before Mud (1996), back when we discovered the Australian cupholder to be the coolest mod you could ever hope for. A lot has changed since then; new faces, new trucks, new mods. I have done just about everything you can do to an 80 Series and have enjoyed every minute of it. I wish I had more garage space to keep this truck, but at least its going to a good Texas Hill Country home. For those of you who find this thread, I have done about 30 steering knuckle rebuilds in the last 18 years, give me a jingle. Via email. ;)

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom