birf assembly question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm about to re-assemble my birfields. I have the c-ring that goes on the very end of the inner axle shaft and get pushed thru the inner race (star piece). Is there supposed to be another c-ring that sits against the exposed side of the inner race?

When I read articles about the birf job on older trucks it appears that there is a c-ring on each side of the inner race but mine only came apart with the one on the inner side.

I'm guessing the 80's are different - or someone left it off on a previous job?

Does anyone even know what I talking about? Wish I had pictures.

Aaron

Just 1 C clip is used on the 80's. I am not sure why but even the manual incorrectly shows 2, may be the 60's used 2?

awesome, thanks for the info.

Yep, just the one c-clip.

If you haven't done it yet, get some zip ties, press the c-clip into the groove by tightening the zip tie, then insert into the birfield with a firm thunk. Then cut the zip tie out and you are good to go.

Or you can wrestle it with a screwdriver for an hour like everyone else does :)

Yep, just the one c-clip.

If you haven't done it yet, get some zip ties, press the c-clip into the groove by tightening the zip tie, then insert into the birfield with a firm thunk. Then cut the zip tie out and you are good to go.

Or you can wrestle it with a screwdriver for an hour like everyone else does :)

I used a hose clamp on the long side to compress the clip & it went right in. On the short side, it wouldn't cooperate for some reason.

During my wrestling with it, my dad came over to visit so I put him to work. I just had him hold the axle & I tried the screw driver method. It's not really too tough. Keeping the axle strait and not moving with even downward pressure is the key. :cheers:

Zip tie os 100% and takes 60 seconds :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom