Binding when turning left (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My truck has developed a new issue in the last couple of days. When I turn the wheel left, especially at a stand still, the wheel will turn hard, then loose, then hard again, with sounds coming from just behind the steering wheel in the column. When turning right it cycles smoothly enough. After some searches I believe it could be related to slip joint, u-joints, or possibly the rack. I hope it’s not rack related as a rebuilt one was installed within the last year.

Question for you guys is, does it makes sense the binding is one directional if it’s the u-joints or slip joint....or does this directional binding point more towards the rack? Just trying to figure out where to start my inspection, it’s cold out today with freshly fallen snow. Brrr

Could be binding joints in the intermediate steering shaft, take around here for those threads. Not a hard swap. You can grease them to see if it reduces binding and go from there.

Slip joint and u joints are generally only referenced in relation to the driveshafts - which aren't going to be steering dependent.

I'm not ruling out something with the rack, but highly unlikely with your symptoms. Usually they just leak. Have you checked fluid level in the reservoir?

Could be binding joints in the intermediate steering shaft, take around here for those threads. Not a hard swap. You can grease them to see if it reduces binding and go from there.

Slip joint and u joints are generally only referenced in relation to the driveshafts - which aren't going to be steering dependent.

I'm not ruling out something with the rack, but highly unlikely with your symptoms. Usually they just leak. Have you checked fluid level in the reservoir?
Thank you for the input, the rack is not leaking at all, which is good, fluid level has not changed and is at the proper level. I mad an appointment at the dealership on monday for them to inspect, which I know will likely end in a pricey repair bill. Unfortunately I just don't have the time to do this in the next week or so due to crazy year end work schedule and my preferred foreign car mechanic is closed for business until after the 1st of the yr.

How are your rack bushings?

My rack was on its way out, though there was no leaking. I had a similar binding issue, but it wasn't as severe. My bushings were toast so I had them replaced and it helped. Ultimately the binding returned even worse and a new Toyota rack remedied it.

How are your rack bushings?

My rack was on its way out, though there was no leaking. I had a similar binding issue, but it wasn't as severe. My bushings were toast so I had them replaced and it helped. Ultimately the binding returned even worse and a new Toyota rack remedied it.
The rack bushings were replaced when the rebuilt rack went in about a year ago. The big d bushing is poly. Really hoping it’s not the rack as there is definitely Something up with the steering column.

The rack bushings were replaced when the rebuilt rack went in about a year ago. The big d bushing is poly. Really hoping it’s not the rack as there is definitely Something up with the steering column.

Who rebuilt the rack? I missed you had a rebuild unit installed. The rack preload might need to be adjusted. Do you have any unusual noise from the power steering?

Who rebuilt the rack? I missed you had a rebuild unit installed. The rack preload might need to be adjusted. Do you have any unusual noise from the power steering?
The rack was Detroit Axle, it was cheap, perhaps it will bite me. Zero noise from power steering pump, flushed the ps system with fresh synthetic atf about four months ago.

I'd try the coupling first as it's cheaper and easier. It sucks to consider, but the rack might be a suspect, too. Not sure if yours is an LC or LX, but FWIW, should you need to go for a new rack, the Toyota part is compatible with similar-year Lexus models. Meaning, you can save some coin and buy a LC rack for an LX.

The rack was Detroit Axle, it was cheap, perhaps it will bite me. Zero noise from power steering pump, flushed the ps system with fresh synthetic atf about four months ago.

Check the pretension adjustment. If it's loose it will slip and/or try to jump teeth (binding). If its too tight or wasn't greased it will bind.

I'd throw it up in the air on jack stands and have someone turn it back and forth for you while you look at things.

My first guess though is the intermediate steering shaft binding.

Hey just to double check on this, is it binding when "rolling" but also when sitting at a stand still, right?

Hey just to double check on this, is it binding when "rolling" but also when sitting at a stand still, right?
It binds turning left at a stop every time. It binds intermittently when rolling, worse so at slower speeds. Though I haven’t driven it much since I noticed this issue for fear of causing a wreck.

Got it, was asking just to make sure this wasn't a CV binding and popping during turning, as they can momentarily add resistance to the steering if you've got one going bad.

So I just got off the phone with the dealership....they say that one of the steering rack bushings "fell out" and that when turning the wheel it's bumping into the dipstick tube, causing the binding. I'm having a hard time believing the bushing simply fell out, I said well is the bolt there, they said yes, but no bushing. WTF? Anyways, they said they would not address the bushing and would only replace the entire rack. I said no thanks. I'll pick it up tonight and put it up on jack stands and see what's what, so frustrating.

Who did the install of the rack?
I used a mobile mechanic service... at the time I thought it was a genius move, now not so much.

9B2D0D8F-6E20-4594-8AAB-3C89C7BEA3FB.jpeg

Oddly enough I have the poly bushings on hand and if it’s just the front bushing that’s missing it shouldn’t be too bad to deal with. I am concerned that they may have zeroed in on the rack and didn’t check out the column. Hoping to deal with the bushing this evening, I’ll post up some pics and update later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom