binding CDL stuck? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 97 fj 80. Binds when turning like the CLD locked. The light is not on though. It is still like something is locked. stops when completely turned right or left. I could use either some links or help testing and how to disengage the CDL. I have read there are relays and connection points, but wouldn't the light on the dash have to be on if the cdl were engaged?

I just re built the axle and birfields with all new bearings.

thanks

rich

Did this happen before you rebuilt the axle?

If the plug on the transfer case is unplugged, the light will not turn on.

Thanks for the responses. This was an issue before the axle job. I actually thought this axle fix might help since the birfield was clicking. New bearings and all. I now realize there is somethink going on with binding. The light did come on when I put it in low a few months ago. I will check again tonight. Based on what I read. Check the fuse (not sure which one)? Check a relay somewhere?, check that plug on the T case?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

If it's binding, that is a likely indicator that the viscous coupler has failed. Remove it and enjoy the clunk. Or get a used one for cheap and put it in. Can be done relatively easily.....

Is the CDL working correctly? When selected does the actuator work, light come on, and go off? If so, shift the transfer to neutral, this will disable park, so chock the wheels, jack up a corner, with the CDL off, should be able to turn that tire. It will have drag, but should be able to turn it by hand. If not, the CDL is sticking locked, unlikely if the light goes off when unlocked or the VC is dead. If the actuator is running and light is working as expected, most likely the VC is locked or excessively binding. We remove them and toss in the recycle, they are pretty much worthless.

My first cruiser had this when I bought it. Couldn’t make u turns or pull into parking spaces. Ripped the VC out and it fixed it. Hardest part was getting the retaining ring out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom