Bilsteins on lifted 100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiser100

Comfortably Numb
Threads
I'm looking to replace the OME 100/101's on my 100 with Bilsteins. Looking through their product catalog I came across the 5125 Series shock with similar extended/collapsed lengths as the OME's:

Front (inches)
OME N101 ext-17.32, col-11.41
BIL BE5-6251-H5 ext-18.50, col-12.03

Rear (inches)
OME N100 ext-24.01, col-14.17
BIL BE5-A463-H6 ext-24.35, col-15.11

Questions:
I'll need to do a stem to eye conversion (I thought I read a thread at some point where someone did this but can't locate it); I found these adapters:
stem-eye.jpg
Will they work?

And, since the ext length on the front is over an inch more than the OME, would limiting straps be advisable?

Thanks
stem-eye.jpg

What's the price of them? I'm due for shocks badly

It varies between btwn $75 and $90 each. Bilstein is currently having a buy 3 get 1 free sale, so for less than $275 I could get new shocks... 4WP has them for $83.99 each - middle of the pack. They also sell the stem/eye converters for $24.99 a pair.

Front (inches)

And, since the ext length on the front is over an inch more than the OME, would limiting straps be advisable?

Thanks

This one makes me nervous. Who knows though. Maybe somebody has run them. I'd also be nervous about bottoming the shock out. Might need to lower the bump stop by .6" or so. Not sure. And straps look needed to limit travel.

Why not just use the Bilsteins that are made for the 100 series cruiser? Liam and dclee are using them on lifted 100's. No adapters needed.

yup....no issues. In fact, Cam at IronPig said no issues, which is why i went that route.

I'll look into that... couldn't find the ext/col numbers yesterday for the "stock" shock.

adaptors

the shock adapters add 1.5" to the length too. this will be way too long. The OME and the LC specific bilstiens are replacement length. There are some bilsteins that are bolt in and about 1" longer than stock, however you must have a diff drop, upper control arms, etc. This is nice since you can add more downtravel on a lifted truck so it rides well. If you dont intend to do these things, than run one of the stock length shocks (oem, ome, bilstein or whatever) and accept that downtravel is limited on a lifted vehicle.

I'm looking to replace the OME 100/101's on my 100 with Bilsteins. Looking through their product catalog I came across the 5125 Series shock with similar extended/collapsed lengths as the OME's:

Front (inches)

Rear (inches)
OME N100 ext-24.01, col-14.17
BIL BE5-A463-H6 ext-24.35, col-15.11

Questions:
I'll need to do a stem to eye conversion (I thought I read a thread at some point where someone did this but can't locate it); I found these adapters:
View attachment 319581
Will they work?

Thanks

Last edited:
I've read that the OME's are 1" longer than stock while the over the counter Bilsteins are the same length as stock.

For this reason, OME seems like the shock of choice (in the American market), unless one wants to do additional mods. However, there seems to be a significant number of negative owner reviews, especially in the Australian market, where I get the impression, owners tend to do more high speed dirt road driving, and the OMEs don't hold up so well.

There's also the OME L option (intended for 80s) that seems to be very well liked by those who are using them. However I believe you have to use some of the hardware from the standard OME shocks to make them work ( maybe difficult to purchase this way).

I think I'll end up going with the standard OME. Unless the longer Bilsteins become available on the American Market. Couldn't the longer Aussie Bilsteins
be run without the modded control arms; with just the diff drop? Those control arms are priced out of my range.

yep.. aussie billies work fine without new CA's

No really...seriously...I'd like to know where to buy these.

No really...seriously...I'd like to know where to buy these.

Try Christo Slee. He used to bring them in for the customizer in Oz (Darren McRae, also on this forum). They're not anywhere near cheap, though...

Is the added improvement the longer shots offer, over locally had OME, worth the extra $? I know that's up to me, but condsider that I am much more of a high speed desert driver than a rock crawler. The only rocks I really plan on crawling are those in my way...

Thanks,
perk

if i had to pay full retail for the aussie billie than i would have gone OME... i got a sweet deal on mine new and not installed from a guy on ebay.au

still twice the cost of OME but for me it was well worth it since i drive interestate 60 miles a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom