Bilsteins gone bad after 7 years and 51,000 miles. What now? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to posting on here and am grateful to all of you 'experts' on Landcruisers that I've learned from in order to fix up our baby. So we have a 2002 Landcruiser (USA - the one pictured), and replaced the original shocks in 2014 with Bilstein's (apologies I forgot the exact ones). About a year ago now, we started getting a rattle going over bumps and road cracks, it's progressed to a louder noise. Upon inspection, our expert (San Diego Trux) found the bushing on the rear bilsteins are worn causing the knocking noise. Even though the rear shocks may still be under warranty, I'm less than pleased about their short life-span (especially since we've only driven the vehicle on highway and never off-road) and don't want to go after two replacement bilsteins, unless you think they're worth it and we'll just buy new front ones too?

Either way, I think this is a blessing, since SD Trux recommended new torsion bars and springs (labeled the current ones as 'worn'). So here's the ask - my wife loves this baby and we're getting old. We're looking for a comfortable, tight, ride with no height increase. It would be great to find any shock/torsion upgrade that made our ride less noisy and more comfortable without sacrificing handling.

Please let me know your recommendation or point me to the relevant articles on here. Thanks so much.

Don’t bilsteins have lifetime warranty

Shock bushings are usually generic and a couple of dollars each. I'd just have the bushes replaced. They're just a 'rubber' disc and no indication that the actual shocks (dampers) are bad.

Paid labour wise: Replacing the bushes on all four shocks is probably an extra hour over fitting new units, but it's a job anyone with a jack and a set of ring spanners can do at home.

Picture for generic reference only, and not an indication of exactly what you need to purchase and install

1626852955055.png

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll take a look see. I've noticed more 'bouciness' in the back but that maybe me. Is there a way to test the shock itself, if there's no physical evidence of degradation (oil sweating, etc.)?

You can remove the shock and manually compress and extend the shock to feel for dead spots, but that's a bunch of work for 100-series rears. That check is also pretty subjective for anything other than a gross failure.

Grab some bushings and see where they lead you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom