Bilstein Warranty 5100 vs 5125 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mopdog

SILVER Star
Threads
I am shopping for shocks. The Bilstein comparisons have been well discussed on here. I have not seen any info here on the separate warranties on each. 5100s are Limited Lifetime while 5125’s are only 90 days. I found part numbers for the 5125’s. Does anyone that has put 5100s on an SOA 40 have part numbers?

260608A3-E71D-4DCE-B927-20AE07BC3A58.jpeg

3DFE3AE8-E4FE-427A-98EB-AA9D7465FC85.jpeg

This thread has them for lifts… may be helpful

Unfortunately those 5100 numbers are now 5125s. I’ll have to get some flexed measurements and hit their charts to find 5100s that are the same length. One of the Ford Truck numbers look close. From what I can find most of the 5100s, depending on application have the same body and valving as the 5125s but are sold as stock replacements so they have a longer warranty than the 5125s. The 5125s are marketed for lifted vehicles implying that they would be subject to harsher treatment.

Reading the warranty would have to ask what does the life of the damper mean? Wears out it's no longer covered. Life time warranty only covers defects in materials and workmanship. Just stating the life of the damper means they don't expect it to last forever and replace it for free. What's cover under the life time warranty would probably show up in the first ninety days if the vehicles doesn't sit like tend to do.

True, but 90 days doesn’t seem like very long. At least you have a chance at some sort of help from the manufacturer if you are inside the warranty period. Using the 5100 off road, racing, or putting them on a vehicle they were not specifically intended for voids the warranty as well.

I always thought shocks were wear items afterall :meh:

in reality: I had one shock fail about 3-4 years after install, and I had wheeled the truck hard during those years - replaced it with the same model and kept on wheeling :steer: - in my 18+ years of ownership, I needed to replace the Bilsteins all around only once

disclosure: the Bilstein headquarters is less than 20 miles from where I grew up, so you could consider me biased :p

They are well reviewed and seem like the best value in shocks for a 40. I’ll probably run them. A 90 day warranty just doesn’t seem congruent with a quality part. Of course companies put actual s*** in a box and stamp it guaranteed all the time so who knows.

In my own opinion, shocks are wear items. I go through a full set of shocks on my wife's 3rd gen 4runner every 2-3 years.

But our problem is the condition of our roads. Zimbabwe is known as the pothole capital of the world for a reason.

Idaho has rough roads both rural and urban. The number of freeze thaw cycles here is murder on pavement. If I got 3 or 4 years out of a set of premium shocks I wouldn’t complain. If I got 4 months and the manufacturer told me to pound sand I wouldn’t be overly happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom