BillyGoat - pretty much mine… (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RevISK

SILVER Star
Threads
Howdy,

Been over in the 40 section for awhile but recently this ended up in my driveway. 1988.

It currently belongs to a friend of mine and she doesn’t know what she wants to do with it so it’s now under my care.

Current issues/plan…
- front ps brake= metal on metal. Ordered new rotors and pads. Hopefully don’t have rebuild the calipers (did that on my 40) but should probably order up the kits for when I’m in there, just in case.
- suspension is pretty wacky, especially up front. Birfs don’t seem (too) leaky so I’ll leave that for now. Plus, my 40 really needs a knuckle job. I’ll start with shocks and work my way down from there. The leaf springs seem pretty weenie, dobison is probably in order.
- the biggest thing: I’ve searched but can’t seem to find the right wording or really an answer: it idles fine, if a bit low (still around 600, just sounds low) but bogs down under load. In drive or any gear, at idle, it really bogs down. Wondering if it’s a sensor thing, a transmission thing, a thing thing?

Mostly a lot of cosmetic stuff and general neglect. Needs new tires, pealing clear coat arresting, replace and/or juice up the seals externally.

Really curious about the bog though.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ian

DE1FDE88-6645-411F-870D-9820D9D6EB10.jpeg

6EA50440-D9EA-4F8D-A06B-27086E6F4C2E.jpeg

Oh yeah, I did pull off the ill fitting fender flares and the remainder of the door trim that was half falling off.
281C0B5D-CF8E-404F-81B6-D77FA0FC2256.jpeg

673DE28C-605C-40BA-8FE1-56CF26F3F86B.jpeg

Ordered up a new battery tray and futzed with some of the PO brilliant wiring…
7B4864C0-5055-4AB8-8196-6A37C48AB31B.jpeg

I do kind of like the fender flares but they were installed poorly and were rubbing holes in the paint. They look like a nice add on if done right. Too many holes for stabby mcstabsalot’s installation, no pics, but I’ll treat them and fill with aluminum solid bucked rivets for meow.

This girl was purchased in Nevada. Sold as a life long desert truck. I told my friend I was suspicious about that due to the amount of rust. Certainly not terrible at all, but not a dry climate truck at all.

Then I found this and almost threw my shoulder out patting myself on the back for my Sherlock skills… 🙄

6BB0DA21-552C-4371-9DF1-A4D7CC81D34E.jpeg

Further investigation leads to it living much of her early life in Gig Harbor, WA. which for those don’t know, is certainly NOT a dry climate. Nor without salt floating around in the air.

I don’t fault my friend. She was fresh off of a divorce from a rich douchebag who treated her like sh!t and she needed a soul reset (her words, yet apt) and she bought this site unseen from a seller in Nevada for probably a very unreasonable price, but it wasn’t her money so screw it. Reset her soul by road-tripping from Nevada to Canada to the southwest and back to Texas. Somewhere along the line she earned the name BillyGoat. That was 10 years ago. Some shady mechanic work and not much else since then.

I’m here to massage BG back to life, my aim is to reset HER (the car, I’m married. Shut up) soul…
With the input of MUD, anything is possible.

Back to that bog down while under load (in gear) at idle.
I'm struggling with search phrases to pin point what could be the issue.
I'm getting pretty good in the romper room garage (40 series) but this AT, EFI world is like a mysterious mist.

Is there a timing issue at play?
Fuel delivery?
I dare not fondle the golden screw just yet...
Regardless, I am out of town for work until saturday. After I tackle the brakes, I'll see about driving it up to @aljollano for a hopeful diagnosis.

In the meantime, if anyone has any idea, I'd certainly appreciate the input...

Thank you,
Ian

Looks like a fun rescue project. The entire world thanks you for ditching the flares and stick-on body trim.

FYI - the rotors are pressed on with the wheel studs, so leave a little extra time (or press work) for a rotor swap.

I would baseline all the engine stuff (spark plugs, filters, intake air hoses (cracked)?) and then look at what else might cause the low idle. On a truck like that, I would assume that little/no PM has been done in years.

You're going to end up contributing thousands in free labor - get a bottle of wine out of the deal, ok?

Looks like a fun rescue project. The entire world thanks you for ditching the flares and stick-on body trim.

FYI - the rotors are pressed on with the wheel studs, so leave a little extra time (or press work) for a rotor swap.

I would baseline all the engine stuff (spark plugs, filters, intake air hoses (cracked)?) and then look at what else might cause the low idle. On a truck like that, I would assume that little/no PM has been done in years.

You're going to end up contributing thousands in free labor - get a bottle of wine out of the deal, ok?
Hey Steve,

This is great info, thanks. The fender flare removal was protested by her at first but I put my foot down once I discovered the damage they were doing to the truck not to mention my eyes.

I saw that stud/rotor thing in some random youtube vid, think it's wise to grab some fresh studs? Don't have a press, but have used the "bang the nut" method to get studs out on different rotors in the past.

You are correct on the baselining, need to do that for sure. Was just hoping it wasn't anything serious with the tranny, but the more I look and thing about it, I don't think it's too far from normal. Just an adjustment or cleansing (I hope).

The free labor is an investment if the truck becomes mine, it's cash if it gets sold to someone else or she takes it back.
I'm more of a case of beer guy anyway, as long as it is good.

Thanks for your time,
Ian

You don't have to have a press for the wheel studs, and I'm not sure I'd replace the studs if the threads are not boogered. A press is just a bit more elegant than banging on lug nuts.

I see where you are going - if she loves the truck, you've done a good thing, and if you buy it, you've done a good thing for yourself as well. And if she keeps it, you (should be) still first in line when she sells it.

You don't have to have a press for the wheel studs, and I'm not sure I'd replace the studs if the threads are not boogered. A press is just a bit more elegant than banging on lug nuts.

I see where you are going - if she loves the truck, you've done a good thing, and if you buy it, you've done a good thing for yourself as well. And if she keeps it, you (should be) still first in line when she sells it.
It just dawned on me that those are lawn darts in your profile pic. We are of similar vintage it would seem...

Welp, eyebrows deep in a simple brake job on the 62 series.

Knew the rotors needed replacing as evidence from the grinding sound when I picked it up. Should’ve known this would be a full knuckle job and hub refresh. My dumb ass bought new rotors and pads thinking it would be that easy. Dumb ass.

Waiting on parts…
4B857A31-0B18-4FD5-8224-775E98537BD5.jpeg
FACB7B20-8F60-4244-9562-11CB7A5F4663.jpeg
6ED4630E-D1F1-46E4-ACDA-A82A90024EC2.jpeg
DD7227C8-EC1C-4444-BF0F-6553FF5AC1B0.jpeg

While waiting on parts, I’ve been cleaning and then cleaning some more. Then I clean before I clean again. That cheap harbor freight parts washer is looking pretty attractive…
C176E3C3-B9FE-4782-9187-34CF7ACF8ABB.jpeg
3D569E01-C554-4E89-9EBA-B1475EAB6004.jpeg
EB1F47F9-2CEE-4838-ABB1-C8984F3695BF.jpeg
692CF8FE-4C3E-4176-8C77-C0AD59E46D58.jpeg

5EE68328-5420-44FB-9036-BC8624B9BE46.jpeg

Clean your cold start injector folks.

IMG_9887.jpeg

For the bog, check if the egr valve is stuck open. My 62 had a horrible bog when I got it and I found the egr valve stuck wide open. I desmogged mine and it ran great after that.

Thanks for this, I’m about to check that out.

Ian

I bypassed the EGR and it made no difference.

I’m going after a desmog here next.

Still have the bog at idle under load (in drive at a stoplight for instance). Runs fine otherwise, except for this morning it wouldn’t start for some reason. Ended up taking the sTundra to our local cruiser meetup and when I got back, she fired up fine.

So far I’ve:
- new and properly gapped plugs
- new fuel filter
- swapped hoses on charcoal canister
- cleaned, tested and reset TPS
- cleaned cold start injector
- air filter
- stared at it, a lot.

Next is hoses and Desmog kit. Should probably clean all the nasty out of the manifold too.

Anything else?

Thanks ye all,
Ian

Oh yeah, I did pull off the ill fitting fender flares and the remainder of the door trim that was half falling off.
View attachment 3318187
View attachment 3318192

Ordered up a new battery tray and futzed with some of the PO brilliant wiring…
View attachment 3318186

I do kind of like the fender flares but they were installed poorly and were rubbing holes in the paint. They look like a nice add on if done right. Too many holes for stabby mcstabsalot’s installation, no pics, but I’ll treat them and fill with aluminum solid bucked rivets for meow.
I got some nice stainless battery trays for mine online .

I got some nice stainless battery trays for mine online .
Ended up getting an oem one from Toyota.
Refreshed the gusset, ospho’d and painted.

Considered the ss one but the OEM was not expensive.

That parts washer is so nice to have after scrubbing greasy parts in flimsy Rubbermaid boxes for years. Just need to get a good quality degreaser for it. I love mine.
My son got a small rock tumbler for Xmas a few years ago. He lost interest but I throw my small parts, bolts and what not and run it with some mineral spirits. They come out purty.

I’ve read that Mineral Spirits in a parts washer is pretty legit, what do you use?

My son got a small rock tumbler for Xmas a few years ago. He lost interest but I throw my small parts, bolts and what not and run it with some mineral spirits. They come out purty.

I’ve read that Mineral Spirits in a parts washer is pretty legit, what do you use?
Man, I was just looking at the harbor freight tumbler. I can’t keep buying new nuts and bolts all the time. It’s so expensive.

I’ve been using the harbor freight concentrated biodegradable degreaser. It’s not my favorite. I bought it so I’m using it till it’s gone. It works okay enough.

My dad used gasoline or mineral spirits in his when I was growing up. But man did it reek to high heaven… I also wonder about an electric pump submerged in explosively flammable liquids. However, gas and mineral spirits are amazing solvents and I have used them as a pre soak in the past. Gas works especially well on heavy sticky grease.

Man, I was just looking at the harbor freight tumbler. I can’t keep buying new nuts and bolts all the time. It’s so expensive.

I’ve been using the harbor freight concentrated biodegradable degreaser. It’s not my favorite. I bought it so I’m using it till it’s gone. It works okay enough.

My dad used gasoline or mineral spirits in his when I was growing up. But man did it reek to high heaven… I also wonder about an electric pump submerged in explosively flammable liquids. However, gas and mineral spirits are amazing solvents and I have used them as a pre soak in the past. Gas works especially well on heavy sticky grease.
The tumbler is clutch for cleaning hardware.
For heavily rusted stuff I’ll use vinegar instead and run it awhile longer. Throwing some coarse sand in there helps too.

A metal fab shop around here uses an electric cement mixer and fine gravel to prep and clean parts, they come out looking great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom