Bikini top without header using roll bar (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Portland Oregon, Keeping it real in Lents
So I have the top off and the sun is killing my wife. She hates riding in my 40 and burns her legs on the seats when she gets in. I wanted a bikini top but did not want to install a header. Since I have a full roll cage I decided to try and use the front bar as the header. I went with a best top old school bikini top (the one they sell everywhere for like $50 or so) from 4 wheel parts. I bought some eyelets and since I do not have a leather punch set to cut the holes I just drilled with a small bit and stretched the holes over the eyelets and crimped them on the back. They are not a great design and I should have gone with a full grommet style. If they fail or fall out I will switch them. The plan is to use paracord to attach it through the eyelets to the front bar and stretch it over the middle bar with the attached straps. Here are pics of what I used and the finished product. I ran out of light to get installed today but I will post pics tomorrow and see how it does at 55 which is pretty much as fast as I am willing to get this thing going.

IMG_5930.jpg

IMG_5931.jpg

IMG_5932.jpg

There is a company that makes these for Jeeps, but would work for anything. Only attaches to the roll bar not the windshield frame, so you can still fold the windshield down and keep you bikini top. Made out of mesh so the air still flows through and does not flap, looked nice at the jeep shows years ago. Post us some pictures once you get this installed.

This is what I did. It was sunbrella material we had sitting around the house. Put eylets in the material then wove paracord around the roll cage. Perfect solution!
20150606_162217.jpg
20150606_162233.jpg

I screwed the header channel to the top front bar of my cage. The only thing I had to do was to shorten the length of the (SOR) bikini top by folding it and sewing the fold together. Now I can put my windshield down, and when the windshield is up, the bikini top isn't pulling on it and vibrating it (and the rear-view mirror) all the time.

But I like your idea of grommets, to be able to tie the sides of the bikini top to the cage to keep it from flapping. I had thought of sewing on some Velcro strips to do the same thing but the grommets would probably be quicker and easier.

MicahMan I did the same thing, Found the thickest weave material i could find at loses and wrapped it with para cord, I love still being able to see up top and cuts down on the sun 1000%

IMAG1212.jpg

IMAG1213.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom