Bigwapiti's 2011 Tundra build...'Big Nambe' (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Atomic Fabworks sliders are on...

All,

I got the sliders bolted on yesterday at Atomic Fabworks. They got them back from the powdercoater, and they are exceptional. It's almost a shame that these are going to be beat on, but oh well. Anyway, ON TO THE PICS!

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

I had a choice between 3 different hole patterns for the top plate. Atomic drew them up and sent me a detailed schematic of each pattern. I am glad that I went with this pattern over anything else. The raised dimples provide great traction so far, I am curious to see if this will change in the rain. Access to the BajaRack now is no longer an issue.

IMG_0271.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

There is a slight bend in the rear of both sliders to sweep down and 'flow' where the bed dips down behind the cab. I wanted a kick-out in the rear, but I wanted one that kicked out gradually. To my eye, I really like how the kick-out sweeps outward over the rear half of the slider.

IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0279.jpg

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

The sliders are 6 inches from the pinchweld up front and 8 inches at their widest. You can see that these accomodate my 'paw' well.

The sliders are mounted using grade 8 hardware and custom fabbed brackets. All in all, Atomic Fabworks did an excellent job. If you are in need of any kind of fabwork, give Atomic a call ~ http://www.atomicfabworks.com/. Ask for either Steve or Kelly.

Regards,

BWJ

Last edited:
Pelican / Armstrong SGMTK1

All,

I just got back from acquiring the ultimate (my opinion) mobile toolkit available. It was a stroke of luck, and this was a gift from my wife ( :Wow1: ). It is an Armstrong SGMTK1 (General Mechanics Tool Kit). This was a Craigslist find, and I am in shock as to how much I got it for. It is brand new and complete. The gentleman that I bought this from was given this kit while overseas. He already had a comprehensive tool kit, and did not need this one. His loss is my substantial gain...For all of you ebay / craigslist hawks, he said that there were PALLETS of these kits remaining following all of the mechanics getting theirs. I figure its only a matter of time before these kits trickle down to ebay and craigslist...Happy hunting.

Case is the Pelican 0450. The tools are from Armstrong Industrial Hand Tools (subsidiary of the Danaher corporation). 7 drawer configuration. Laser cut outs and friction fit are exceptional...

Again this acquisition was truly serendipitous...

By the way, EXO (Expedition One) front / rear bumpers are shipped. Ordered a Warn VR-10000. Masterpull schwag is here...

As soon as the EXO bumpers arrive, I'll get the mock up pics posted up. Going to go with a rear tire carrier. Toying with the idea of mounting the SGMTK1 on the swing out as well...Not sure, she is heavy...

Regards,

BWJ

Last edited:
Nice looking set. I had never heard of anythign like this. Does it have metric as well?

Yep, sure does...SAE and Metric...

Regards,

BWJ

Damn, I thought Charles had found a good reason that I did not HAVE to get one of these!

Those are actually standard issue to every mechanic in the Army in one variation of tools or another, depending on the equipment being serviced. Odds are, that one belongs on someone's property book.

They are a very nice set, I used one extensively. It's where I took the idea to cut out rubber floor mat so each tool has a spot in my box.

Colin,

You have a PM...

Regards,

BWJ

Nice set up there, BWJ. Can't wait to see pics of the bumpers - very interested to see how that rear bumper goes on, etc.

Expedition One bumper ~ Front

All,
Here is the 'PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN' post. I just got back from Atomic Fabworks to start the bumper project. I only have the front bumper for now. The rear will be here soon ~ currently it is being 'tweaked' at EXO. Bumper is exceptional in every aspect - very clean and welds are bomber.

IMG_0437-1.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0439.jpg

Plan was to measure 2 Fyrlyts and the Dually D2s to see if we need to make adjustments. Holes are perfect and can accomodate a 3rd light if necessary. Fyrlyts are 150W 12v Osram bulbs ~ Will Kuhns at Sierra Expeditions carry these exclusively. He says that these new lights will throw plenty of light. He assured me that I am going to see the output and my words will be 'Holy Shiiiaaat'.

IMG_0450.jpg
Also putting a Rigid industries 40" E series LED light bar on the Bajarack. Atomic is now working on fabricating tabs for the LED light bar / Bajarack and spacer mounts for the Dually D2s / EXO bumper...I will post a complete review of the lights at a later time complete with photos and video ~ stay tuned.

IMG_0447.jpg

Going to powdercoat next week...Woot woot!

Regards,

BWJ

THere was a great article on those Fyrlyts lights in the last Toyota 4wd magazine. They really look awesome. Fully adjustable and bright as the sun! Sounds like a great choice.

BWJ

would it be possible to check out your sliders in person?

Thanks in advance

Jeremy

BWJ

would it be possible to check out your sliders in person?

Thanks in advance

Jeremy

Sure thing...PM'D

Regards,

BWJ

Expedition One (EXO) bumper is on...

All,

I just got my truck back from Atomic Fabworks. They installed the Expedition One front bumper with all the goods that go with it. Got the bumper back from RML powdercoating 2 weeks ago. Here is the 'pile' of goodies that needed to be installed. The guys at Atomic were great to work with, and they dove right in...

I chose to go with powdercoating this time as opposed to Ameraguard lining. I think that this powdercoating is more robust as opposed to the PC that I got from my previous Armorology bumper. I'll see how it lasts...Anyways, onto the install...The disassembly of my OEM bumper was quite an eye opener to me - IT IS A TIN CAN. All it seemed to be was a few 10mm bolts (4x) and a bunch of plastic clips...not good. I was able to sell the OEM bumpers / mirrors / grille to an auto parts salvage yard with one phone call. The proceeds of which almost covered the cost of the rear EXO bumper...woot woot!

The Expedition One (EXO) bumper is very stout. The frame mounting bracket and re-inforcements are well engineered. We were all impressed as to how beefy this unit truly is. Compared to the OEM bumper, there is no comparison. If I were to hit a deer with my rig, I have no doubt that I will remain a few links above said deer, literally, on the food chain. Here is the solenoid pack mounted and ready to go.

Dream almost realized...

Overall, Atomic was excellent in the install and wiring. I am grateful to have such a fully functional installer / fabricator in close proximity. More pics later.

Regards,

BWJ

2" Shackles installed...

All,

Along with getting the EXO front bumper put on, I also had 2" shackles put on as well. Originally, I upgraded to Deaver-add-a-leaf springs instead of 1" blocks due to my cargo needs. After all was said and done, I sat level driving daily and 'sagged' when I towed the Sherpa II.

IMG_0236.jpg

I considered airbags, however, shackles seemed to be a solution with fewer headaches (moving parts) down the road. Anyway, I was able to acquire these from a fabricator on the Tundra boards. He is out of Utah, and these are beefy to say the least. Here is a pictorial chronology of my rear suspension dilemma / solution...

Stock

IMG_0880.jpg

Toytec Ultimate 3/1 ~ used a Deaver-add-a-leaf instead of 1" block...

Currentprofile.jpg

Coach's 2" shackles installed

IMG_0482.jpg

More eye candy...

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0523.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

Ride is noticeably better than before. I have a rake now when I drive, and level / slightly raked when I tow. I may change this up over time, however, it seems to work for right now...

Regards,

BWJ

EXO bumper pics...

All,

Well it's been about 1 week since I had my EXO front bumper on. I am glad the front is on. Again, Atomic Fabworks did an INCREDIBLE job installing / wiring / and fabricating to make this dream a realization. EXO is currently developing a rear tire carrier for the Tundra. I may go with this as an option...

Initially, I purchased an IBS dual battery system from Sierra Expeditions. This system is elegant in its design, and It's has been bullet proof so far. As you know, I decided to mount the auxillary battery in the bed cabinet system. I also purchased a Blue Sea systems 12 fuse block and 100 amp resetable circuit breaker.

Note: Atomic Fabworks did the electrical wiring and I am going to meet with Steve to go over the wiring schematics / specifics soon. I am not familiar with electrical wiring, so please don't ask me questions about the ins and outs of the wiring...

IMG_0527.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg

The LED lights are all wired to the auxillary while the winch and FRYLYTS are wired to the main. My lighting 'grouppo' consists of 2 FYRLYTs / 2 Rigid industries Dually D2s as fogs / a 40" Rigid LED light bar overhead on the Bajarack / and a Dually D2 diffused lens as a back up light. The light output on these lights are INSANE, however, they are different - Halogen vs. LED. I will post a comparison / night shot post soon...

IMG_0482.jpg

IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

IMG_0496.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

I decided to go with switches from OTRATTW. They laser cut all of their switches and they are crisp and clean. I had them mounted to a removable plate that fit into the console. The switch turns on when the interior lights are on, and the small LED indicating bar lights up when the switch is activated. I'm still working on the passenger eject button as to what to do when activated...

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

There is also a Warn VR 10,000 winch with 3/8" MasterPull Superline Winchline and a Winch Stop Thimble. In case you are wondering, this is a hockey puck that I bored out. Cheap mod = $ 1.60...

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0499.jpg

For security, I decided to use several different nuts and bolts. It's a shame that we have to spend anytime with this, however, it is a cruel, fallen world that we live in...I went with two different sized pin-in-torx screws and two different kinds of tamper resistant nuts. McMaster Carr sells these at a reasonable price. Cheaper that other retailers...

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0529.jpg

IMG_0531.jpg

It is a combination of these nuts and bolts that will hopefully slow the thieves down and require too much time and effort. Overall, I am pleased with how the EXO front bumper with accessories turned out. I am currently waiting for Expedition One to put the finishing touches on my rear bumper with tire carrier...

Nights pics will come shortly...Stay tuned.

Regards,

BWJ

Last edited:
Why not just tac weld the bolts easier i think.

Sent from my phone using IH8MUD

I wouldn't worry about at this point, I think you have it covered with the hardware you've bought.

I think ur safe. Im just cheap and have a welder. I also am not sure the grade of security hardware.

Sent from my phone using IH8MUD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom