Big White Smoke

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Quick run down, you may remember some of my posts.

1: Poorly rebuilt F motor.
a: Random bolt found screwed in to oil return line on oil pressure reg. Caused exploding oil filter.
b. Gasket on oil pressure reg. installed upside down. Blocked flow.
c. Pic-A-nut 1 15/16" freeze plugs instead of 50mm. Radiator fluid shower.

2: Cr@ppy Weber/Solex 34/34 Carb.
a: Gasket mis-installed from factory! Improper air/fuel mix.
b: Had to spend some bucks for a high alt jet kit.

I ditched the Weber. Anyone wanna buy it? Didn't think so... Back to the stock. Running great not bogging in 4th. Sweet! Lets take her to the DMV for the first (long) test drive. Got the new sticker in under 20 min!! (unheard of at our DMV) Out to the rig put the new sticker on. Start her up and off to the tire shop to see about a good spare. No luck on the spare. Hop in and start her up LOTS OF WHITE SMOKE. Chuga chuga chuga and as it starts to run better the smoke fades. Drive to the next tire shop. Same deal lots of smoke after restarting but fades away after a min.

Is it from a huge amount of fuel caught in the intake? The carb has sat for 8 years and was covered in dust and had a spider & web inside. I poured gas through it and sprayed it down with carb cleaner. Might very well need a Jim C.

Could it be coolant from a bad head gasket?? :mad:

Thanks in advance :wrench:
25608_1427502655714_1477240513_1118630_4816515_n.jpg

Could be coolant...does it smell sweet? If it is, you might get lucky
and cure it by checking torque/tightness of head bolts.

-Phrog

1972 FJ40
2003 100

If it smells like fuel,you could have fuel dripping in to the manifold after the engine is shut off. I don't know which carb you are running, but things like leaking casting plugs, carb gaskets and power valves can cause it.

I ditched the Weber. Anyone wanna buy it? Didn't think so...
:

Most people know, that when you finally take a weber off a LandCruiser, you're supposed to throw the weber as far as you can into the bushes outside the garage.
Most people do not know that in order to completely rid your LandCruiser of the weber curse, you must also throw rocks in the direction that you threw the weber. Some old-timers suggest that you yell obscenities in the general direction that you threw the weber. This may not be necessary but it is therapeutic.
I think that if you properly clean your garage, your white smoke problem will clear right up.

Most people know, that when you finally take a weber off a LandCruiser, you're supposed to throw the weber as far as you can into the bushes outside the garage.
Most people do not know that in order to completely rid your LandCruiser of the weber curse, you must also throw rocks in the direction that you threw the weber. Some old-timers suggest that you yell obscenities in the general direction that you threw the weber. This may not be necessary but it is therapeutic.
I think that if you properly clean your garage, your white smoke problem will clear right up.

So you're saying Jim C. the carb? :)

Hey I was sold at the "saves gas" line of the description, plus it was new not 30+ years old. I now know how very tricky it is to adjust.

I will put the torque wench on the bolts to check, I hope its not the head gasket.

Side question, what is a 72 f motor with said 70K worth? Has everything but the fly/bell.

Check you radiator fluid and see if low. A lot of gas dripping down the manifold would more likely billow backish smoke. White smoke most likely water, I say leaking head gasket, would allow water into the cylinder while sitting.

F motors aren't worth much, someone might give you a couple hundred dollars.

The carb could need a rebuild. Check with JimC or MarkA for a rebuild or Trollhole for a new carb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom