big turbo manual trans land cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I emailed a few of the shops that built some of the turbo 1FZ trucks and was curious about the fuel management they used. I asked what kind of budget unit they would recommend.

Their answer was Motec. I think the base Motec system is $6K. :eek: I guess when your customers have more money than God... one doesn't use budget products.

I'm running a GT35R turbo (rated at 600hp) with a Turbonetics cast log style manifold, intercooler, and 3 to 2.5" downpipe with zero tuning on a stock computer. I imagine it makes around 325hp/425 ft/lbs tq at 8psi and 91 octane. I have a wideband O2 sensor and the readout always shows rich so it may not be optimal... but it is safe.

Remember these are 6,000LB+ trucks so unless you throw some serious power at them... the increase isn't going to knock your socks off.

The understanding is that a stock 1FZ engine with upgraded Toyota head gasket and head bolts will take around 600-700hp worth of punishment. After that the weak link is the connecting rods and then the pistons. So unless you plan to do a fully built motor set your goals under 600hp.

As the saying goes... you have to pay to play. And to make big power from one of these engines costs $$$$$$. Lots of it.

A piggy back unit like the emanage and a wideband 02 can help a bunch.

I have had the best results on mass air flow engines when I put the MAF after the turbo and intercooler. The sensor is reading the airflow the way it is entering the engine as opposed to entering the turbo system. The intake air temperature sensor is in the MAF sensor so putting it after the turbo system allows it to get an accurate reading of the intake air temperature. Going thru the MAF then the turbo means that the air temperature reading will be much lower than what the air temp entering the engine really is. This is a common cause for running rich.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom