Big time nervous newbie. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nice looking truck. this forum will be your second addiction after your cruiser! there is so much info here you’ll be fine diving right in. and what you just paid for it is just a drop in the bucket if you start modifying stuff!! it’s fun and this forum is also full of enablers that will keep your wallet empty. but you’ll smile every time you drive it that’s guaranteed (until something breaks LOL). you’re knuckle rebuild is kind of a cruiser owners right of passage. it’s messy takes a while but really is fun and not too hard. baseline it to get it running well and then jump into the other maintenance. don’t let your knuckles go dry though while doing the other stuff. then it’ll be bigger job replacing brass bushings etc. ask me know i know.

great tip. I was tempted to power wash everything underneath when I got it home but decided against it. Suspected the goo might be holding something together.

Welcome to the addiction. I’m in Austin. Let me know if I can help you any way.

A.J
Thanks man. Might take you up on it if I get in a bind.

nice looking truck. this forum will be your second addiction after your cruiser! there is so much info here you’ll be fine diving right in. and what you just paid for it is just a drop in the bucket if you start modifying stuff!! it’s fun and this forum is also full of enablers that will keep your wallet empty. but you’ll smile every time you drive it that’s guaranteed (until something breaks LOL). you’re knuckle rebuild is kind of a cruiser owners right of passage. it’s messy takes a while but really is fun and not too hard. baseline it to get it running well and then jump into the other maintenance. don’t let your knuckles go dry though while doing the other stuff. then it’ll be bigger job replacing brass bushings etc. ask me know i know.
Appreciate the heads up on the wallet issue. Looks like I’ll need to pace myself.

Get a copy of the Factory service manual, and take your time,
If I can do it, you can do it :)

What year fj62 is it?

Eric-
1989. Sitting in a yard in Buckholtz, Texas for 6 years. I ordered the manual from Helminc today. Not even sure which engine is in it.

1989. Sitting in a yard in Buckholtz, Texas for 6 years. I ordered the manual from Helminc today. Not even sure which engine is in it.

the engine should be the Toyota 3FE. 4.0 liter inline 6 cylinder with fuel injection.

the engine should be the Toyota 3FE. 4.0 liter inline 6 cylinder with fuel injection.
I think you are right. I think I noticed that
Excellent comments above.
Nothing on these rigs is too difficult to take on.
Research A440F kickdown cable adjustment as its rare not to have shift oddities in the automatics. Fixable.
Lots of info on high idle, rough idle (hint...often the temp switch near your thermostat telling the engine its cold when its warm) and a few other fun nuances to 62s.
Factory service manual is a must....even at what they are charging for them these days.
Excellent information. I’ll research both of those issues tonight. Best to look on these forums or another place? I was hoping plugs, points, wires would help the rough idle. But that would be too easy! d

Excellent information. I’ll research both of those issues tonight. Best to look on these forums or another place? I was hoping plugs, points, wires would help the rough idle. But that would be too easy! d

you don’t have points. In fact most vehicles built after about 1980 don’t have points.

Thanks for the recommendation! It’s at the local dealer. I like to spend $100 and get their knowledge and then learn what I need to do to fix what they find! I’m just trying to focus on the engine and drivetrain with them. I’m very hesitant to attempt valves or rings or inside the engine things. Appreciate the good vibes. D
Congratulations on your find. Reminds me of a 62 I found sitting idle for 10 years on a ranch down the road from my place. I assume yours has been sitting 7-8 years based on the inspection sticker. If not you’ll be miles ahead of where I was. If it’s been off the road that long there will be a number of things you’ll want to address. The fuel tank/pump will be a tough one to resolve but there are work arounds. Curious if the dealer has experienced techs (old school) that can asses/work on this generation truck. I’m not familiar with the Austin dealers but it’s rare to find one that does. If that’s the case, you do have many resources in the austin market that can help you out. Feel free to reach out if there’s any insight or information I can share. Jimmy

This forum is the place. In general rough idle will come down to one or more of the following (sme interact with each other)
My build thread (link in my signature lie) and several others will cover the main issues (mine was tempsensor)

1. Check timing being sure to put the vehicle in diagnostic mode by using a paperclip in your test port
2. Check for any air leaks in your air induction system including soft air cleaner tubes, gaskets on throttle body, EGR etc
3. Replace your PCV valve (cheap and easy)
4. Temp sensor
5. Adjust valves
6. Learn about the magic brass screw located in your throttlebody. It fine tunes idle by letting more or less air in After you’ve done the other stuff. It has a small O ring on it that likely needs to be replaced as well, unscrew/replace/screw back in
7. Research how to adjust your TPS (throttle position sensor)

Its a fun journey in search of perfection. Do one action at a time so if gos south you know what didnt help.

enjoy the journey and know that there are very few things you can do to really screw up these rigs. They are quite resilient.

Last edited:
This forum is the place. In general rough idle will come down to one or more of the following (sme interact with each other)
My build thread (link in my signature lie) and several others will cover the main issues (mine was tempsensor)

1. Check timing being sure to put the vehicle in diagnostic mode by using a paperclip in your test port
2. Check for any air leaks in your air induction system including soft air cleaner tubes, gaskets on throttle body, EGR etc
3. Replace your PCV valve (cheap and easy)
4. Temp sensor
5. Adjust valves
6. Learn about the magic brass screw located in your throttlebody. It fine tunes idle by letting more or less air in After you’ve done the other stuff. It has a small O ring on it that likely needs to be replaced as well, unscrew/replace/screw back in
7. Research how to adjust your TPS (throttle position sensor)

Its a fun journey in search of perfection. Do one action at a time so if gos south you know what didnt help.

enjoy the journey and know that there are very few things you can do to really screw up these rigs. They are quite resilient.
Wow! Thx. I’ll follow to the letter when I get the FRM. D

Caked on dirt and grease around the knuckles is kinda normal. Its going to ooze out a little. I wouldn't worry about rebuilding the knuckles and replacing axle seals unless you have wet runny gear oil running down the inside of the wheel and tire. If your worried about how much grease is in there there is a metal plug you can pull and squeeze some in there.
You want molybdenum disulphide lithium grease for the knuckle and it gets about 3/4 full, not packed.

I'm not sure what year it is , but here's a link to a 84+ FSM that includes 62s

You'll really want a physical copy eventually.

Good luck!

Caked on dirt and grease around the knuckles is kinda normal. Its going to ooze out a little. I wouldn't worry about rebuilding the knuckles and replacing axle seals unless you have wet runny gear oil running down the inside of the wheel and tire. If your worried about how much grease is in there there is a metal plug you can pull and squeeze some in there.
You want molybdenum disulphide lithium grease for the knuckle and it gets about 3/4 full, not packed.
Thx g-man

I'm not sure what year it is , but here's a link to a 84+ FSM that includes 62s

You'll really want a physical copy eventually.

Good luck!

Thx bud. I ordered on last night.

The seats are salvageable. I'd have a local shop recover the ripped seat bolster and the other front seat bolsters in a matching vinyl. The fabric can be cleaned. This is how you do it.

Some FSM's are available here at no cost in pdf form. Click on the "Resources" button at the top of the page, find "catagories" column to the left, click on "toyota" and continue to drill down, ie Land Cruiser, then 60 series, then find the FSM in the center column and click on the one you want then the orange "download" button on the upper right side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom