Big time nervous newbie. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hammer45

SILVER Star
Threads
Just bought an FJ62 that had been parked as a farm truck for years. I had been watching it for 6 years and knocked on the door one day and BAM! Now I paid way too much and it is leaking at least 5 fluids if I include the gas gauge dropping and the 4 inch thick goo on the knuckles that must be differential grease! We have 4 4Runners and now this one. Never had a 4x4. I’m gonna need lots of advice to get this diamond in the rough to be more tough than rough.
4582847C-927D-47C1-B2C6-233FDFB58767.jpeg

48BBEABF-5352-4EC7-92AC-914587C14938.jpeg

7E48E9A5-6DDD-4CF0-BB32-129D94D1CEB2.jpeg

26DD8A88-A211-4A01-ACC4-9EAF8BBAB7CA.jpeg

Last edited:
don't be nervous, just start doing stuff! You're in Austin like half of this forum apparently so I'm sure you have local Cruiserheads nearby

Looks like fun. Get you a FSM and Dig in... t’s all a learning experience

I would start with fluids, brakes, knuckles, seals and gaskets, carb and tune and go from there

If you need work done on your truck look up @CenTXFJ60. Great mudder and awesome guy. Know him well.

Excellent comments above.
Nothing on these rigs is too difficult to take on.
Research A440F kickdown cable adjustment as its rare not to have shift oddities in the automatics. Fixable.
Lots of info on high idle, rough idle (hint...often the temp switch near your thermostat telling the engine its cold when its warm) and a few other fun nuances to 62s.
Factory service manual is a must....even at what they are charging for them these days.

Even simpler than a 4 runner. I thought 4 runners were 4wd?

Looks like fun. Get you a FSM and Dig in... t’s all a learning experience

I would start with fluids, brakes, knuckles, seals and gaskets, carb and tune and go from there
No carb on a 62 so the learning curve is probably a little steeper in that department.

Get a copy of the Factory service manual, and take your time,
If I can do it, you can do it :)

What year fj62 is it?

Eric-

Congratulations!

Create a plan and enjoy the journey, most don’t add the receipts along the way, when maintaining an older car is calculated in, we all over paid!

Welcome to the addiction. I’m in Austin. Let me know if I can help you any way.

A.J

nice looking truck. this forum will be your second addiction after your cruiser! there is so much info here you’ll be fine diving right in. and what you just paid for it is just a drop in the bucket if you start modifying stuff!! it’s fun and this forum is also full of enablers that will keep your wallet empty. but you’ll smile every time you drive it that’s guaranteed (until something breaks LOL). you’re knuckle rebuild is kind of a cruiser owners right of passage. it’s messy takes a while but really is fun and not too hard. baseline it to get it running well and then jump into the other maintenance. don’t let your knuckles go dry though while doing the other stuff. then it’ll be bigger job replacing brass bushings etc. ask me know i know.

@Hammer45 I am right there with ya! I bought a 60 about 4 months ago. I have no real experience in mechanics other than changing oil. Now one fix has led to another and so on. I ask many ridiculous questions but someone always takes pitty and lends a patient hand to answer them. It is pretty fun learning a new skill.

If you need work done on your truck look up @CenTXFJ60. Great mudder and awesome guy. Know him well.

Thanks for the recommendation! It’s at the local dealer. I like to spend $100 and get their knowledge and then learn what I need to do to fix what they find! I’m just trying to focus on the engine and drivetrain with them. I’m very hesitant to attempt valves or rings or inside the engine things. Appreciate the good vibes. D

@Hammer45 I am right there with ya! I bought a 60 about 4 months ago. I have no real experience in mechanics other than changing oil. Now one fix has led to another and so on. I ask many ridiculous questions but someone always takes pitty and lends a patient hand to answer them. It is pretty fun learning a new skill.

so glad to hear! When I read the lists of mods, I get about 25% of the jargon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom