BIG SUR trip,fri.sat. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,just thought I would post up a few pics.from this weekends Big Sur trip.Just the wife and myself,went down for one night.Took the Old Coast road,right at the Bixby bridge.It's a way easy 2wd.dirt road,but way senic and fun.Only takes about an hour.But I got to put the 4runner in 4wd a couple of time just messing around.
BIG SUR FEB 2009 010.jpg
BIG SUR FEB 2009 006.jpg
BIG SUR FEB 2009 024.jpg

Here are some more pics.Lots of fire damage down there from this last summers fires.They are really prepared for for mud slides.Hiking pic.is Andrew Molera St.park.
We went as far down as Gorda and checked out the yurts you can stay at.Pretty cool,it's called Treebones resort,and it's right by a great surf spot called Willow Creek.You can also acess the back country via Los Burros rd.good 4wd.dirt rd. that goes for miles.
BIG SUR FEB 2009 025.jpg
BIG SUR FEB 2009 030.jpg
BIG SUR FEB 2009 037.jpg

Yurt at Treebones resort,old cabin at Andrew M.st.pk. Ocean shot at Sandollar beach.
BIG SUR FEB 2009 041.jpg
BIG SUR FEB 2009 028.jpg
BIG SUR FEB 2009 031.jpg

Any more details regarding Los Burros Rd. and the possability of camping? Thanks.

Dr.Gonzo,Los Burros rd.is right off hwy.1 just past the Willow creek beach acess going south and it's before the little town of Gorda.There is good free campsites off this road,some have great views of the ocean.They are primitive with no water or fire(best to call local ranger station for info.on fires-Pacific ValleyRanger Station is close)It's in Los Padres N.F.
The other developed campgrounds in the area are called Plaskett Creek& Kirk creek.
Pick up a copy of "California Coastal Byways" by Tony Huegel,great map book,I have the 1995 edition.There is a ton of info.on the backroads in this book.
You can go from sea level to about 5,155' at cone peak.All on good dirt roads,mostly 2wd.There are some good side spur roads that will need 4-low,poss lockers.But they are overgrown with not so soft bushes! The first one is a left turn at an unsigned road 2.4 miles from hwy.1.This is called willow creek trail,it's only about 3.4 miles round trip,but you can't drive the whole way.The trail gets too small,so you have to hike some.There is creek acess,an old "Indiana Jones"style suspension bridge that spans 80 yards across the gorge!

Looks like good times!

I was right on the other side of the mountains from you, hanging on a friend's land in the middle of Fort Hunter Liggett. Springtime out there is going to be outstanding!

Thanks for the pics.

:beer:

I've spent a lot of time on those backroads. They are easy 2WD roads... until typical Big Sur rain storms when things then get interesting quickly!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom