Big Red SOA Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In December 2010, we found this FJ60 in pristine condition. Best of all we bought it from the second owner in California who only drove it on weekends and rode his bike to work. He told us the the head gasket was blown and needed replacement. So that was our expectation. We thought we would replace the head gasket, get it running and then swap in a L31 motor that we had just bought. Turns out the head gasket was not blown. However, the carburetor was, and was leaking superfluous amounts of gas into the head and down to the oil pan. So I removed the old carb and replaced it with one from my other FJ60 and changed the motor oil. Pulled the choke out, gave her 3-5 pumps on the accelerator and BANGARANG! She lives!!! Took her to Chevron for a drink and drove her on home.

Next weekend, I drove her down the Cajon pass (15fwy) to Wasabi's shop for a custom C&T SOA.
IMG_1709.jpg
IMG_1712.jpg
IMG_1714.jpg

Last edited:
On Saturday April 2, we removed the entire front and rear axles and flipped the springs on top of the perches for mock up. On Saturday April 9, Wasabi stripped all shackle hangers and shackles from front and started welding the reverse shackles in place.
IMG_1739.jpg
IMG_1740.jpg

Last edited:
I run stock Toyota 16" steelies on all my cruisers with 1.5" aluminum spacers.

Thanks to the excellent resources here on mud, I am going with the following:

Ruff Stuff - SOA parts (u bolt plates, u bolts, perches, shock mounts)
Marlin Crawler - Hi steer and extended SS braided brake lines
Valley Hybrids - Knuckle rebuild kit
Wasabi - Blood, sweat and beers
I'm still looking for the best deal on Bilstein 7100 /reservior shocks. Anyone?

BTW: Marlin's running a sale on the fj60 hi steers this week!!!

"This week we have our Hilux/FJ40/FJ60 High Steer kits on sale at nearly 20% off, but it doesn't stop there! If you order our High Steer kit during this 1-Week Sale, then we'll also throw in our Competition Series 25mm Pin Upgrade kit at an additional 20% off! Combine kits, run the strongest High Steer setup available, and save over $125!! Offer expires Friday April 15th."

..Ruff Stuff - SOA parts (u bolt plates, u bolts, perches, shock mounts) "

Make sure its not the "zero" perch mine didnt work as planed now I have to redo the axle again :frown:

Week three front axle and hubs being cleaned and prepped for cut and turn
IMG_1715.jpg
IMG_1741.jpg
IMG_1784.jpg

Last edited:
them ruff stuff perches need lots of grinding to fit... good luck witht the project

mine needed to be grinded to overlap the axle welds... and my front diff perch: one hole one top didnt clear one of the diff studs... the other hole wasnt fitting on the housing... and the inside bracket totally didnt fit...

IMG_0019.jpg

and if i recall, the leaf pack center bolt didnt fit(OME)

Last edited:
lookin good! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom