Builds BIG RED - Our 1984 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stolen pic off the interwebz, but it will kinda look like this once the new bumper is on!
upload_2018-4-6_17-56-13.png

Blake! i think I speak for the people when I say we want updated on Big Red. Haha
hehe hey friend! An update would be good. But the update i have isn't good haha. I haven't driven it since July. July 27th to be exact!

Early in Jul my alternator siezed up and shredded my fan belt. I didn't notice it in time and it got so hot that the pressure cracked my radiator. So State Automotive welded the radiator back up and put a new alternator in. But the new alternator wasn't putting out enough power, couldn't even power the radio and the headlights at the same time. And for some reason it was overheating like crazy. every stop light it would get up to like 250*F.

So i garaged it until i had time to take it back to State for them to re-fix it. The problem is the guy who usually works on it (knows GM swaps in Toyotas well) had some medical issues and was out of work for a long time. I just heard he is back at work now though so I will contact State and see if they can get Big Red squared back up again. It's been a long 5 months only having one working car in our family!

Oh also our one working car got totaled in a frontal collision with a distracted teenager in a Nissan Maxima. So we replaced it with a 2006 UZJ100. So now we have a 100 and 60 chillin in the garage together. I kinda like seeing both of them in there!

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

hehe hey friend! An update would be good. But the update i have isn't good haha. I haven't driven it since July. July 27th to be exact!

Early in Jul my alternator siezed up and shredded my fan belt. I didn't notice it in time and it got so hot that the pressure cracked my radiator. So State Automotive welded the radiator back up and put a new alternator in. But the new alternator wasn't putting out enough power, couldn't even power the radio and the headlights at the same time. And for some reason it was overheating like crazy. every stop light it would get up to like 250*F.

So i garaged it until i had time to take it back to State for them to re-fix it. The problem is the guy who usually works on it (knows GM swaps in Toyotas well) had some medical issues and was out of work for a long time. I just heard he is back at work now though so I will contact State and see if they can get Big Red squared back up again. It's been a long 5 months only having one working car in our family!

Oh also our one working car got totaled in a frontal collision with a distracted teenager in a Nissan Maxima. So we replaced it with a 2006 UZJ100. So now we have a 100 and 60 chillin in the garage together. I kinda like seeing both of them in there!

View attachment 1847472

View attachment 1847473
Oh no! Refixes are tough.. Hopefully they can get her up and going again! But in the meantime, congrats on the hundo! They're a dream rig, for sure. We'll have to break it in sometime!

nice build and you are in Utah County. I live in Heber City and work in American Fork

dougbert

By far my favorite read on here....ty!

QUICK UPDATE: Big Red is up and running again! So far so good. It's running very well. The shop ended up putting in a new radiator and alternator. The alternator is made for a Corvette haha. It puts out tons of juice! I'm going to drive it as is for as long as i can, but eventually i want to get rid of the SBC 350. I'd love to put in a 12HT-H55F combo but I would even be happy with an LS over the 350.

Last edited:
Any updates to this truck?
Not much really. I've been so slammed with my business (Cruiser Gear) that haven't really even driven this rig more than moving it from one driveway to the other a couple times in 2020. It's been neglected for sure makes me sad. But being too busy with a growing business isn't something I can complain about haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom