Big puddle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, so I am not much of a “mudder” more of a beach off-roader, but I have been watching the Expedition Overland series during this downtime and decided to hit a local trail to ward off the boredom. Things were going great, fun little trail about a mile from my house ... hard to find in Mass. I crossed a few muddy areas and all was great until I hit a puddle that almost swallowed me! Water that felt about a quarter up the doors! I almost stalled in the middle, but made it out!
Did the rest of the trail and made it home with no issues. Pulled some branches out of the undercarriage and gave the rig a good power wash.
Is there anything else I need to be concerned with after a fairly deep (for me) submersion? Transfer case breather? (Is that a thing?)
Starter? Sorry for the Newbie type questions, but my cruiser is an ugly garage queen... doesn’t get muddy often.

Well, the real truth is to pretty much open up the axles to see if water got in. Now, saying that, replacing already worn parts , (overhaul), is also not a bad idea. Any water in axles can really be a bad thing over time.

Check your diff levels and check to see if it's milky or overfilled. Sometimes oil and water separate after sitting for a while. Grease the u joints, and all the other fittings to force water out. The muddy water is like sand paper on drum brake linings. If your going to wheel it some , your going to want to repack bearing periodically, along with adjusting drum brakes. Grease often, check fluids, clean batt cables, etc. You might want to carefully hose out the rad fins too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom