1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big nut on EGR pipe size

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by RJHR, Mar 14, 2004.

1. RJHR

RJHR

Can anyone tell me what size nut the EGR pipe is? I am still experiencing P0401 joys, now it is time for the next step, and that will be to remove and clean the EGR. First the big nut... then, are there any SSTs required for removing the EGR?

Thanks!

2. landtoy80

landtoy80

Small pipe wrench or big vice-grip.
    I removed mine without removing the stud posts but you should or thing could brake.

3. Beowulf

Beowulf

RJHR,

It's 32mm. Use Robo Grips or equivalent; a spanner of that size is HUGE. I think George ended up removing the hood in order to swing a 32mm wrench.

I cannot recall anyone that has successfully "cleaned" the EGR valve. Some of us replaced good ones with new ones only to be left with a P0401. Are you following the tests in the FSM?

Will you share with us what you have tested and tried so far?

-B-

4. RJHR

RJHR

-B-

I do not have the FSM, and so far I am progressing using the advice I have garnered from this forum and the 80 series list.

I sold my ancient Camry about three weeks ago. I replaced it with a new Accord. My wife immediately claimed the Accord and asked me to drive her 1997 LX450, as I drive far fewer miles. The next AM, the check light was on in the LX (110K mi).

I first cleaned the EGR temp sensor, then went 15 miles check light free.

I then cleaned the VSV, and went another 15 miles check light free.

Today I greased the propellor shafts and swapped in Mobil One synthetics in the differentials. Unbelieveably, this did not make the check engine light go away either! :)

If there is a protocol I should be using for determining what my exact cause of insufficient EG flow is,, please fire away - from what I have seen, the true key to curing P0401 remains a mystery.

Cheers,
    - Rick

5. Beowulf

Beowulf

Rick,

The true cure is not a mystery. The problem is that some of us were hoping there is a root cause and that always replacing p/n xyzzz-5551212 will fix the problem. The reality is that it is a multi-component system with interconnecting wires and hoses to the 4 primary pieces of the EGR system. The protocol for repair is in the FSM so you'll want to get that or search all the posts on the P0401 as all the pages have been scanned and posted by now.

>> I then cleaned the VSV ... <<

Please explain. How did you clean it? Which VSV? How did you get to it? What was "cleaned."

-B-

6. RJHR

RJHR

Sorry, not the VSV, the vacuum modulator (dashpot type), right next to the EGR. I saw posts where several folks had this completely plugged with carbon. Mine was not. I used carb cleaner, took it apart and cleaned the filter and then put it back together.

So I guess I am back to searching for what to do next, including searching for FSM pages.

Thanks,
    RJHR

7. Beowulf

Beowulf

Rick,
    There is a LOT of material here, it's just not completely organized. Kurt is working on a P0401 FAQ but it might be too much for one person to tackle. Kurt, Junk, and Todd (Gumby) have recurring P0401 and they have been unable to clear them for good.

Several people have fixed theirs with the EGR modulator cleaning. Several others have fixed theirs with replacement of the VSV for EGR. Be sure the suspect part tests bad before you replace it. I replaced the EGR modulator and the EGR valve and cleaned these and the temp sensor two or three times. Finally took it to a mechanic.

-B-

8. Junk

Junk

Gee, B, wish you would have remembered it was 32mm when I asked you a few weeks ago :rolleyes:. Ended up removing the studs and using the open end wrench.

The FAQ on this has been started - read the faq sticky at the top of the forum - there is a link to his write up. Anyone that posts something and someone thinks it should be added needs to send me a note or post a link to the end of Kurt's thread - his thread is still active.

EGR is just a frickin mess. I hate it.

9. Beowulf

Beowulf

>> ... wish you would have remembered it was 32mm when I asked you a few weeks ago ... <<

Actually, I didn't remember but before posting I did a Google search using the Keywords "George 32mm" and "EGR" and it popped up as the 1st choice in a LCML message, confirming my guess on the size.

Search, Junk, Search. :D

-B-

10. Junk

Junk

oh, if you were only within arm reach right now ....... :D

11. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

I've never had a problem with mine but will be doing a thorough inspection on Tuesday. If I find something else to add I'll throw it in.

And listen to B, you should be able to test the system components to find the failing item. So start somewhere and if you get stuck post a question. For example: you should have cleaned the temp sensor then dropped it in a oil bath, heated it to xxx degs (sorry my manual's in the garage) and read xxx ohms resistance to confirm it was working within design parameters. If it checks out ok then no reason to look at that again, move onto the next item. Eventually you'll find the problem. A systematic approach will make it easy for everyone to follow along. And be sure to always fully check out an item so your absolutly sure it's ok. Cleaning and test drives, cleaning and test drives just drags out the whole process and you'll be living with that code for months.

12. Beowulf

Beowulf

RJHR,

>> Cleaning and test drives, cleaning and test drives just drags out the whole process <<

And don't forget that the P0401 is a 2 trip logic, where trip = "Drive cycle" (i.e. reach and sustain xx MPH for xx minutes, fluids at xxx temp, repeat twice, etc.) Gumby gave us the specifics on what an OBD-II "Drive cycle" is supposed to be so if you're interested, do a search for the details.

-B-

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">