Big Lug Problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So went wheelin on the weekend and had an awesome time but returned home to a clickin in the front end. Through a couple of days driving(work and wherever) clickin got worse and after inspection found that I had broken 1 lug and 2 others had stripped and now just spin in the drum and can't be tightened. 2 were tight and 1 was finger tight. Now not exactly sure how this happened but it did and since I want to do the disc conversion here on the 70 40, but for the time being is there any type of temp fix for the ones that are stripped? Can they be welded in? Would a JB weld hold at all? I am a month or so from doing the conversion and if I don't do anything I will still continue to drive it the way it is so any suggestions would be appreciated. Wheel nuts go
1.tight 2. tight 3.broken 4.Finger tight(now tight) 5.stripped 6.stripped

Eternal-just don't be in oncoming traffic on the highway with me(or I guess riding with me either)

i would remove the bad ones and inspect them if the knerling in just stripped on the stud then just replace them if its in the hub i guess jb weld might help. there is a tourqe setting for lug nuts but dont rember off the top of my head

If the knurls are stripped on the studs, just replace them. If the knurled holes are stripped, do the disks sooner. I don't think JB weld is up to the task, and how many times do ya wanna cut the lugs off your wheels if it fails again?

Is the wheel loose? Don't be surprised if it's a birf clicking.

safest bet is to pull the hub and the bad studs. Since you intend the disc conversion soon, do this cheap/easy. If it's the knurls, as noted above, just replace. If the holes no longer keep the knurls tight, then weld them into place on the backside....a short tack should suffice, high heat and good penetration. IMO, any less than 4 "working" lugs on a 6-bolt rim is dangerous, and if two adjoining are bad it's dangerous regardless.

I had clicking this week with mine, and discovered that the drivers side outer wheel bearing was trashed and dry....easy spot when 4 of the rollers fall out upon disassembly. AutoZone carries Timkens in stock for $30 per set (inner/outer/races/innerseal) I installed my spare set last night and the AZ's I picked up at lunch are now my trail spares....

AutoZone carries Timkens in stock for $30 per set (inner/outer/races/innerseal)  I installed my spare set last night and the AZ's I picked up at lunch are now my trail spares....
woah! i didnt know that! i think i am going to head over there real soon!

Pretty much all 'yotas have the4 same lugnut torque spec of 76 ftlbs. I typically torque my cruiser's a little higher... overkill perhaps,.. just wanna make sure they're not going to come off when I don't want them to (on the trail).

dont I feel stupid right about now, my wheel nuts came loose sometime over the past week and I hadn't checked them for at least 2 weeks, on the back right wheel. Steering suddenly felt loose on the highway at 100kph so i pulled over. Back wheel about to fall off. 4 nuts left, all on last thread. Alloy wheel stud holes 1.5x normal size, all stud holes in hub worn out of round, 2 studs snapped and sitting inside drum.

tightened the remaining nuts and drove it to the next exit and found a nice quiet side street to ditch it in. Wheel about to fall off again. Hrm car trailer time. &nbsp:Down to the local wreckers when i get the landrover from home, to find a new hub housing i spose. And no more bloody alloy wheels either.

Sam
'79bj40
'76 serIII landrover

alloy's are notorious for coming loose.....they need to be torqued 3-4 times over a week to ensure they stay tight in the long run, then checked regularly....

...which is in part why I ran cheap steelies for so long...

well its definately back to steel again for me, i had no problem for years with the steels -- (nice white ROH wheels too), So I spose i was just blinded by the shinyness of polished alloy. &nbsp:Dad is going to come down in his TD 100series with a trailer to take mine back home, then I'll be stuck driving the landy for a week or so while i find the parts to rebuild mine.

looks like I'll be flat out like a lizard drinking when i should be going camping for the long weekend. :(

Sam
'79bj40
'76 serIII landrover

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom