Big end bearings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,
I know this has been discussed before and I’ve read the threads.

I’ve got a 92 1HDT and was considering having the BEB done for peace of mind. However when I called up for a quote the guy told me that if it’s running fine then not to touch it as you’ll let all the Toyota magic out 😂 I’ve seen and read horror stories about them letting go and a bit unsure what path to take as Ive also seen some people have no issues with them.

What do you think? Is it worth getting them done anyway? It’s just ticked over 300K km and I bought it about 6K km ago.

Hey guys,
I know this has been discussed before and I’ve read the threads.

I’ve got a 92 1HDT and was considering having the BEB done for peace of mind. However when I called up for a quote the guy told me that if it’s running fine then not to touch it as you’ll let all the Toyota magic out 😂 I’ve seen and read horror stories about them letting go and a bit unsure what path to take as Ive also seen some people have no issues with them.

What do you think? Is it worth getting them done anyway? It’s just ticked over 300K km and I bought it about 6K km ago.

Get an oil analysis done. They can tell you if they're failing.

Thanks mate.

Can the analysis specify which parts are on their way out or does it just come back with a list of elements/minerals found? In which case what materials are the beb usually made out of.

👍🏻

It will tell you if there's bearing material in the oil or not. It won't tell you which bearings.

There's two approaches to the BEB.

1, there's people who say change them every 100k km religiously, and break into a cold sweat if you suggest it may not be necessary

B. There's people who do an oil analysis and make a judgement call based on the result.

3. There's people who are oblivious, and will do 5, 6, 7, 800 K km on the original bearings.

I'm in camp B. So an oil analysis, and keep the Toyota magic in as long as possible.

It will tell you if there's bearing material in the oil or not. It won't tell you which bearings.

There's two approaches to the BEB.

1, there's people who say change them every 100k km religiously, and break into a cold sweat if you suggest it may not be necessary

B. There's people who do an oil analysis and make a judgement call based on the result.

3. There's people who are oblivious, and will do 5, 6, 7, 800 K km on the original bearings.

I'm in camp B. So an oil analysis, and keep the Toyota magic in as long as possible.

I am also I'm camp b.

Mine were changed right before I bought it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom