"big bumper" causes death

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by floatinghat, Mar 5, 2004.

1. floatinghat

floatinghat

I heard on the radio this morning there is a law suit in Salem Oregon. The cause of death according to the mother was caused by the modified "big bumper". I guess her kid was in a car accident with a pick up that had a "big bumper". Has anyone every had a liability concern?

andre

2. PHAEDRUS

PHAEDRUS

as long as you are within dot regulations I dont see what the deal would be. boviously if you have a home grown bar with spikes there will be issues. but that is why you have car insurance and set your limits to 100/300 at least. well that is unless you dont mind filing bankruptcy and paying reparations for the rest of your life.
    Dave

3. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

Interesting. What would she say if her son was instead hit by a far more deadly semi truck that weighed far more than a truck with an extra 120lbs of bumper? I feel for anybody who loses a loved one, but to assign blame based upon someone's legal choice to add a bumper doesn't seem right. I'd be interested in more details.

4. cary

cary

[quote author=Phaedrus link=board=2;threadid=12616;start=msg115979#msg115979 date=1078530145]
    as long as you are within dot regulations I dont see what the deal would be. boviously if you have a home grown bar with spikes there will be issues. but that is why you have car insurance and set your limits to 100/300 at least. well that is unless you dont mind filing bankruptcy and paying reparations for the rest of your life.
    Dave
    [/quote]

Two words "Umbrella Policy"

Cary

5. scottm

scottm

Media:
    Albums:
    I guess any modification that added weight could also be a factor.

6. semlin

semlin discouraged user

Media:
    Albums:
    hmm, unless the bumper was not street legal I don't see a case. The trouble will start if she joins ARB as a defendant for designing such a scarey bumper. Then we will all start paying for ARB's new insurance premiums and trying to figure out why they all of a sudden have handy warning stickers on them saying "warning, running into people or cars with this bumper attached to your truck may cause more damage than running into them with a factory bumper. Always avoid running into people or other cars when this bumper is attached". Or maybe "not for on-road use - detach when pavement encountered".

7. BigMac

BigMac SILVER Star

Cary's 100% right - and don't wait too long to get one. I was denied an umbrella policy by USAA because I had, gasp, Teenagers. BigMac

8. scottm

scottm

Media:
    Albums:
    [quote author=BigMac link=board=2;threadid=12616;start=msg116071#msg116071 date=1078537621]Cary's 100% right - and don't wait too long to get one. I was denied an umbrella policy by USAA because I had, gasp, Teenagers.[/quote]
    I got mine from USAA just before my oldest started driving, I figured I wouldn't be able to get it after.

9. bjowett

bjowett

10. ppc

ppc M Go Blue

[quote author=BigMac link=board=2;threadid=12616;start=msg116071#msg116071 date=1078537621]
    Cary's 100% right - and don't wait too long to get one. I was denied an umbrella policy by USAA because I had, gasp, Teenagers. BigMac
    [/quote]

Umbrella??
    And I was denied in the PRK because I owned a "jetski". I told them it was a PWC !!??. They didn't know what that meant even though that is what it said on the title!! They also had a problem with the KZ650. I still don't know how I could cause that much damage considering the outcome of a collision that I was guaranteed to loose and the only property damaged would be my melon??.

11. drexx

drexx

06Mar2004 (UTC +8)

Maybe this is related news?

=================================================================

DO big bumpers pose a danger out on the roads?
    Katu.com - Portland,OR,USA
    ... The first Portland fatal auto accident last year involved a Toyota
    Land Cruiser with an add-on front bumper that t-boned a BMW, killing the
    driver of that car. ...
    http://www.katu.com/news/story.asp?ID=64949

=================================================================

12. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

[glow=black,2,2] As far as the law goes , I don't really know one way or the other .

However ............ I had the unfortunate task of pulling two teenage boys from a wreakage on the highway a few years ago , and trying to resuscitate one of them enroute to the trauma hospital . One image is forever etched in my mind from that call ............ the distinct impression of a massive steel truck bumper in the side of the boys' car's sheetmetal . A pickup with a huge steel bumper t-boned the boys car . I could literally see a complete relief of the bumper , right down to bolts .

Lets face it .... that guys with the pickup truck added that bumper for a reason ... maybe it was for survival from a deer strike , or moose , or MVC ..... and it did it's job , as my patient can attest do ; it annihilated him !

In all honesty I drive my 80 for it's size amongst other things . I know that I might have the upper hand in an MVC one day ..... but if and when I approach the idea of outfitting an ARB or other aftermarket hunk of metal to it's front , I will sense a psychological tug that sends me back to that accident scene . Back to that impression .. back to that carnage ... and I will have some serious considering to do .

Sometimes I think bigger is better , of course .... then in other moments of clarity , I wonder if we'd all be safer if vehicles were somehow on a more level , controlled playing field . Size , mass etc . Sure takes the fun out of things , I know ... and only exists in some far off dream world where safety reigns supreme .... but I bet for an eternity , those boys will wish they'd existed in such a world .....

This is all , granted , myopic .. and rather unrealistic . But it IS from the heart ... do with it as you will .........................[/glow]

[color=555555]T[/color][color=2E3136]T[/color][color=555555]Y[/color][color=2E3136]Y[/color][color=555555]L[/color][color=2E3136]L[/color][color=555555]E[/color][color=2E3136]E[/color][color=555555]R[/color][color=2E3136]R[/color]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.