BIG BLOCK motor in a fj60 ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Who has a big block chevy, ford, or whatever in a fj60?
I was wanting to build a offroad/camping weekend fun toy, and also later build a Hotrod. So I got to thinking, I live here in Denver, Co. with big mountain passes. Maybe I should just put a big motor in an fj60 and it can be both, my weekend toy/camping 4x4 trail rig, and my hotrod with the BIG motor.

I was planning on 502 Ramjet, 4L80E tranny, Atlas t-case, dana 70 rear axle, dana 60 front axle, 38"- 42" tires on 20inch rims, and then maybe bob the rear of the fj60.
63" chevy rear springs.

I think it sounds cool, and I would spend less money, only one toy, not two.
So input please, I woudn`t use none of the OEM toyota parts with this motor, plus adapters are a waste of money, just go BIG everywhere.

Thanks,
Scott

I seem to remember that a mud member has a 60 with a 502 (Merc?) motor in it. Maybe located in Texas. Maybe search, or check out the Lone Star Club site.

I saw a 454 in a 60 that Over the Hill 4x4 did. It looked nice, no real fitment problems that I could see.

X2 on Waggoner5's rig- holy cleanliness!!!! beautiful install on that one!

The BBC is a tight fit compared to the SBC from what I've heard (& heavy too). Wagonner5's is just sick.

A traditional (Gen 1?) 383 (400 crank in a 350 block) is a pretty hot setup from both torque (400 lb/ft) & HP (350+) standpoints. Jeg's has such a crate motor for about $3,500-4,000 with a 2-yr/20K mi warranty.

A 460 is probably heavier than a 454. The new GM V8s (6.2L) are powerful & economical by comparison.

I have a stock '98 5.7 Vortec with factory FI & 4L60E that I like a lot in my '84 FJ60 (quick but not blistering) & a mildly stepped-on 460 & C6 in my '56 F100 (adequate performance, but then it has a 10'x8' glass rack/cabinet body).

Last edited:
Im glad you mentioned putting in new axles, i can see pinions popping like crazy with that setup. You really cant go wrong with a well built chevy-wedge-ferd, to me its more a matter of what works with the rest of the drivetrain your looking to run. I personally like the wedge, i think it has the best block architecture, and you can swap dizzys without pulling the intake.

Personally, i think you should put a warmed over 383 in your 60 and leave the speed for another project. A big 60 on 42s will never be truly fast, plus i dont think you want to be going that fast with a big lift and tall, squishy meats. Plus, i think there is a point where on the trail too much is not a good thing, you can break anything if you try hard enough and you dont have to try that hard with 600+ ft-lbs of torque.

A 460 is probably heavier than a 454. The new GM V8s (6.2L) are powerful & economical by comparison.
I do really like the idea of the new GM 6.2 Vortec. Im definitly putting a dana60/70 under it, I`m in the mountains alot by myself, I don`t like breaking, and if someone is going to carry spare axles, and thirds, look at all that extra weight they carry, so just go big dana`s and forget about the axle`s.

If it was all about power for me, I would stick a large turbo diesel V8 in there. Or the cummins 6 cylinder. The boost then heck out of it and intercool. far more power than a big block gasser v8.

And it could drive more than 200 miles a tank.

My 62 is going back under the knife soon. The 502 is coming out and a new 6 litre is going in. The only thing I have ever broken is a rear driveshaft. The engine does fit nice though. The LT1 was lost in the engine compartment in both size and power.

My 62 is going back under the knife soon. The 502 is coming out and a new 6 litre is going in. The only thing I have ever broken is a rear driveshaft. The engine does fit nice though. The LT1 was lost in the engine compartment in both size and power.

How much cam is in one of those marine 502s, thats gotta be a hell of a lot of torque.

Do ya have a 460 to compare/measure? Mine is sitting in my shop in Castle Rock next to the Vortec 5.7'd 60. Wait 'till April & you can visit 3BadFJs (of SolidRock Offroad slider & bumper fame) across the alley at the same time.

How much cam is in one of those marine 502s, thats gotta be a hell of a lot of torque.

535ftlbs. 430ftlbs at 1800 RPM. Its enough to break Toyota CVs at any RPM. I did have both boxes engaged when I broke.

535ftlbs. 430ftlbs at 1800 RPM. Its enough to break Toyota CVs at any RPM. I did have both boxes engaged when I broke.

What kind of birfields were you running? Did you ever try it with 30 spline longs? How about rear axles?

-Matt

I have a 350 Ramjet in mine. I don't see the need for any more power. My truck will do 0-60 real fast. Not race car fast but fast. It climbs Teton Pass easy at 55mph.

I would question the strength of the frame with big block power. I am a newb though so what do I know!?

I do really like the idea of the new GM 6.2 Vortec. Im definitly putting a dana60/70 under it, I`m in the mountains alot by myself, I don`t like breaking, and if someone is going to carry spare axles, and thirds, look at all that extra weight they carry, so just go big dana`s and forget about the axle`s.

dang old thread !! but i had to add something here.. forget forgetting about the "big danas" i broke 35 spline d60 front axles with a 22re and duals in a mini..... i have also broken them in a jeep tj and a 4.0
i cant imagine a heavy rig like a 60 with that much power making even a d60 front live very long..if ya wheel hard at all.. ya gonna have to do the whole rcv's or chromo axle thing with either long joints or ctm's, which is what i am running in the TJ now..
that is some pretty serious $$ but ya still have the t case and u joints/d shafts to worry about as well .... more $$$$
i would think the 350 ram jet pmp&o mentioned would be a nice set up

Last edited:
I would question the strength of the frame with big block power. I am a newb though so what do I know!?

frame holds up just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom