Big bend late February 2022 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Posting this over here per recommendation. Hopefully this is the better spot.

I’m planning to head to big bend in late February, more than likely going solo with my 7 year old. It’s his birthday trip and planning to stay 5-7 nights depending on feedback. Timing is late February.

I’m starting my research, and it looks like backcountry camping is first come first serve only reservable at the park office.

Is 5 nights enough to explore what needs to be seen at big bend?
Any hidden gems that aren’t known on the average google search?

Planning on running black gap trail, it doesn’t look to technical other than the one rock ledge area.

Planning to have my aux fuel tank installed by then, which will allow me to have 40+ gallons of fuel on board.

Hot spring along the rio is a planned stop, hoping it’s not packed with people.

Hoping to learn some camera settings to be able to capture some of the dark sky and land scape.

Oh and obviously I’ll be taking the 100 unless something drastic happens.

Pic for the thread.

A95E2E6C-DFBE-4FCA-B656-AD3A19FA326F.png

February is beautiful in Big Bend, you’ll love it. Black gap is nothing to sweat about, you’ll cruise through and then enjoy a nice walk around Mariscal Mine. The roads out there are a little rough from the recent rains but they aren’t anything that your cruiser can’t handle. 5 days is enough to knock out some hikes and drives but it really is an immense park (especially once you factor in Big Bend Ranch and Black Gap WMA). The hot springs is great, if you’re that way you should head up old ore road and do the short hike to Ernst Tanaja. BBNP makes some interesting driving books that give you history tidbits along the drive, would recommend,

Some of the backcountry camping is reservable but only the more popular campsites. IIRC the sites on river road were not reservable but some closer to the Chisos and old ore road sites were reservable online. Gas isn’t much of an issue, there is reliable fuel just west of the park in Study Butte, in the park near Panther Junction and north in Marathon. It will be a perfect place to play with dark sky photography, there are many great spots but along the river on the east side (La Clocha) gets you a great view of the Chisos and Sierre Del Carmen’s at sunrise/sunset.

E90F93AB-720A-4DB2-92D0-BAC5A9142ECC.jpeg

8204550D-D1D2-4C6C-93D0-298FFAF341EF.jpeg

I have spent time in both parks and I prefer the SP over the NP. Headed out the first weekend in March for a long weekend.

There are sites along Old Ore that can be reserved ahead of time online. The rest of the sites can only be reserved in person at the park up to 24 hrs in advance, and you can reserve up to 14 (IIRC) consecutive nights. My most recent trip was last March and we saw a ton with 4 nights in the backcountry. Shoot me a PM for my itinerary from that trip. March is a very busy time in the park so you will need backup itineraries if your first choice doesn't quite work out. But the more remote sites are less likely to be taken even during spring break season. I haven't been to the SP yet but I've read it is more rugged. Nothing technical in the NP but it's an awesome place.

Watching this closely, I'm planning to go to big bend with my 4 year old during the same time window!

@geanes, you gonna chime in on this......BBNP and SP are an annual event for geanes.(Presidents Holiday)........has a ton of great ideas like Christmas Mountain, etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom