Big Bear Run NEW DATE 7/7/18 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bhicks

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Updating old thread with new date. See my last post.

Last edited:
So my plans got killed today. I got up early and got all the kids ready, lunch packed and then went to head out and the 80 wouldn't start. Battery was totally dead. I jumped it and let it run for about 20 minutes and then went to restart and still dead. I tested the battery and it was toast. It is over 6 years old and gone through some really cold winters. It's been slow to start for a few months. I headed down the Costco to pick up a new one and then got stuck doing Christmas shopping. By the time I got back it was too late to go wheelin so I'm going tomorrow (Saturday 11/11). Will probably head out around 9:30-10:00am. Anyone is welcome to join me. I live right off HWY 38 and am open to meeting right off the hwy and then heading up to Big Bear. We may also just head down to the Highland Reservoir going the back way for some more mild wheeling/exploring.

Last edited:
Oops. That last post was supposed to say Saturday and not Friday. I'm heading to Big Bear tomorrow (SATURDAY 11/11). Not sure I will get back to this thread so just shoot me a message if your interested.

We decided to just do some exploring in the 80 and went down to the backside of the Highland dam. We were the only ones there. Did some fishing and exploring the area. Kids had a great time. We went out the back way through the Thomas Hunting grounds and saw a ton of guys with guns. If they only knew the dear were down by the dam and not up in the hunting grounds. We saw 3 dear down in the valley by the water and one walked right in front of us.

20171111_104649_resized.jpg

20171111_113155_resized.jpg

We decided to just do some exploring in the 80 and went down to the backside of the Highland dam. We were the only ones there. Did some fishing and exploring the area. Kids had a great time. We went out the back way through the Thomas Hunting grounds and saw a ton of guys with guns. If they only knew the dear were down by the dam and not up in the hunting grounds. We saw 3 dear down in the valley by the water and one walked right in front of us.

Looks like a fun, relaxing day. Any fish at the dam?

Looks like a fun, relaxing day. Any fish at the dam?
Yes and no on the fish. They are in there but we caught nothing. We were there mid day so they weren't jumping. I have fished down there at sunset and just killed it. I will be going back next week with a couple float tubes and will cruise out to the deeper spots to see if I can pull out a 5 pounder. Most are in the 10"-14" range but there are a few large ones in there.

I'm heading back out for some more wheelin on Tuesday 11/21. I have the entire week off. Will definitely be whieelin in Big Bear this time. Anyone is welcome to join. We leave Forest Falls around 9am. Will be down onto hwy 38 around 9:15am.

I'm heading back out for some more wheelin on Tuesday 11/21. I have the entire week off. Will definitely be whieelin in Big Bear this time. Anyone is welcome to join. We leave Forest Falls around 9am. Will be down onto hwy 38 around 9:15am.

Wish I could join- I'm driving the family to Texas to visit my brother for Thanksgiving.

Anyone interested in joining us tomorrow?

Wish I could, but I have to work :frown:

I might be making another run up in Big Bear on Saturday 7/7. Anyone want to join? I guess the trail will be determined by who decides to join us.

We are camping at Hana Flat and will monitor the thread to see if we can cross paths.

Frank

Well..... Tomorrow wheeling in Big Bear is a no go. My home town of Forest Falls is on fire right now. Got a mandatory evacuation this afternoon. HWY 38 is shut down. I loaded up the cruiser with 3 dogs, 4 kids, a cat, wife, and a bunch of useless crap my wife told me we "had" to bring. I will have to go wheelin another day.

Best of luck to you and your family, be safe out there.

Best of luck, hope it all turns out well. We had zero cell service at Hana Flat couldn't easily check back here.

Frank

Roads are still closed to Forest Falls. We had flash floods in the canyon yesterday that took out the main road. Prevented fire fighters from protecting homes in the canyon. It was enough rain to create floods but not enough to put out the fire. Go figure. The town was super excited to here about the rain until the bad news came in. The word is spreading around that they will open up the HWY some time tomorrow. Hopefully that is the case.

Last edited:
Be safe. Dave Druck posted on FB that they were ok too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom