Bicycles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want a bike for a reasonable ammount with granny low gears. (see this off roading stuff reaaaly takes every aspect :doh: )
Anyone know such a bike?

Whoa, there. Need a little more info. Such as budget, type of terrain to be ridden, skill level, etc.
Cheers,
Sean

Budget... geeZ... <750
Terrain... well, steep hills, curbs
Skill... I can ride in a circle w/o falling off! But other than that, none whatsoever.

Any Trek, GT, Specialized, etc.

Find one with a chromoly frame and midline components. FWIW, I really like my Trek Singletrack 930. It's old now (1997 model), but it's really been a reliable bike.

Wal-Mart sells some "name brand" bikes like Mongoose and Schwinn, but they are not the high quality ones of days past. Head out to some local bike shops and ask questions. Take test rides. The shop I bought my bike from, let me try out a Trek for a day before I bought it.

Ebay is your friend. Are you looking for a full suspension?

One recommendation will be a Gary Fisher Sugar. (what I currently ride). Very comfortable bike. You may find a Sugar 2 or 3 for around that price range used.

Good luck!

Hmm, sounds good!

tonkota said:
Any Trek, GT, Specialized, etc.

Find one with a chromoly frame and midline components. FWIW, I really like my Trek Singletrack 930. It's old now (1997 model), but it's really been a reliable bike.

It's going to be hard to find a nice cromo frame (not saying the arn't out there) but just about everything in that price range is Alum now.

OZCAL said:
Left turns or right turns?
:D
Both actually... oooo, I pwn! :flipoff2:

Lo gears are pretty mainstream these days since they went to micro-drive. Back in the early 90's they were delivering triple cranks with 48-38-28, which is what my first mountain bike came with. I picked up a microdrive 42-32-22 from Nashbar in the STX model for something like $39 a few years later, so no biggie. 8 speed cassettes usually run in the 11-28 range, but there's also a 13-32 that will really give you LOW gears.

One thing about those low gears: it's REALLY easy to overtorque them going up hill and end up going over backwards if you've got any real leg strength. :doh:

65swb45 said:
Lo gears are pretty mainstream these days since they went to micro-drive. Back in the early 90's they were delivering triple cranks with 48-38-28, which is what my first mountain bike came with. I picked up a microdrive 42-32-22 from Nashbar in the STX model for something like $39 a few years later, so no biggie. 8 speed cassettes usually run in the 11-28 range, but there's also a 13-32 that will really give you LOW gears.

One thing about those low gears: it's REALLY easy to overtorque them going up hill and end up going over backwards if you've got any real leg strength. :doh:
LOL. :bounce: :bounce2:
So the casette is the one in the rear?

Please go to a shop. Wal-Mart or the like will not size you for the correct size bike. They will not offer you a repair contract. They will not make suggestions as to what kind of bike you should buy. Plus, do you really want a bike built by a minimum wage 17 year old?

I was a bike mechanic/sales guy for about 6 years. Anything by Trek/Gary Fisher, Specialized, Cannondale or others will meet your needs. Ask questions, take test rides, buy what rides the way you like, not what the magazines says is cool.

Hodag

Local shops will usually set it up for you, fit you to the ride, and give you a free tune up and readjustment after the cables stretch out and set.

Shop bikes are worth spending a few extra bucks for as the superstores pay outside help to build the bikes and the Big Box Droids have no fricken clue whatsoever.

Local shops will take better care of you, they know their stuff, and they can recommend trails and paths that the Droids have no knowledge of.

Besides, WalMart is the devil!!!

Here's a good site on MTbikes. I ride a '04 Speacilized Enduro Pro, it's a good all around full suspension trail bike. Can't go wrong with a Speacialized but will pay more than $750 for a new one, a decent one anyways. This site has a bunch of used bikes in the classified section. I always think it's better to pay more for quality bike that will last awhile but I guess it all depends on what you want it for :)

http://www.mtbr.com/

Thanks for all the sugguestions! My bike needs a tune up biiiig time. 7th gear slips alot. :D The comp dosent even work no more. :D

If you are looking for new, contact Razor. I guess he has a bike shop in CO and has GREAT prices on a couple of bikes I asked him about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom