Bicycles

Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
226
Location
Honolulu, HI
I want a bike for a reasonable ammount with granny low gears. (see this off roading stuff reaaaly takes every aspect :doh: )
Anyone know such a bike?
 

MTNRAT

 
 
Joined
Mar 27, 2003
Messages
1,185
Location
Fernie B.C.
Whoa, there. Need a little more info. Such as budget, type of terrain to be ridden, skill level, etc.
Cheers,
Sean
 
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
226
Location
Honolulu, HI
Budget... geeZ... <750
Terrain... well, steep hills, curbs
Skill... I can ride in a circle w/o falling off! But other than that, none whatsoever.
 

tonkota

 
Joined
Sep 28, 2004
Messages
2,130
Location
Spokane, WA
Any Trek, GT, Specialized, etc.

Find one with a chromoly frame and midline components. FWIW, I really like my Trek Singletrack 930. It's old now (1997 model), but it's really been a reliable bike.

Wal-Mart sells some "name brand" bikes like Mongoose and Schwinn, but they are not the high quality ones of days past. Head out to some local bike shops and ask questions. Take test rides. The shop I bought my bike from, let me try out a Trek for a day before I bought it.
 

WildYoats

SILVER Star
 
 
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
524
Location
Utah
Ebay is your friend. Are you looking for a full suspension?

One recommendation will be a Gary Fisher Sugar. (what I currently ride). Very comfortable bike. You may find a Sugar 2 or 3 for around that price range used.

Good luck!
 

wesintl

 
 
Joined
Mar 14, 2003
Messages
4,523
Location
Between Here and There
tonkota said:
Any Trek, GT, Specialized, etc.

Find one with a chromoly frame and midline components. FWIW, I really like my Trek Singletrack 930. It's old now (1997 model), but it's really been a reliable bike.
It's going to be hard to find a nice cromo frame (not saying the arn't out there) but just about everything in that price range is Alum now.
 

tonkota

 
Joined
Sep 28, 2004
Messages
2,130
Location
Spokane, WA
wesintl said:
It's going to be hard to find a nice cromo frame (not saying the arn't out there) but just about everything in that price range is Alum now.
Really? I haven't been bike shoping for some time. I'd like to get another one someday for the wife. Maybe I should upgrade and let her have the old one? :)
 

65swb45

Elder Statesman
Supporting Vendor
 
 
Joined
Apr 14, 2004
Messages
25,526
Location
818-953-9230
Lo gears are pretty mainstream these days since they went to micro-drive. Back in the early 90's they were delivering triple cranks with 48-38-28, which is what my first mountain bike came with. I picked up a microdrive 42-32-22 from Nashbar in the STX model for something like $39 a few years later, so no biggie. 8 speed cassettes usually run in the 11-28 range, but there's also a 13-32 that will really give you LOW gears.

One thing about those low gears: it's REALLY easy to overtorque them going up hill and end up going over backwards if you've got any real leg strength. :doh:
 
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
226
Location
Honolulu, HI
65swb45 said:
Lo gears are pretty mainstream these days since they went to micro-drive. Back in the early 90's they were delivering triple cranks with 48-38-28, which is what my first mountain bike came with. I picked up a microdrive 42-32-22 from Nashbar in the STX model for something like $39 a few years later, so no biggie. 8 speed cassettes usually run in the 11-28 range, but there's also a 13-32 that will really give you LOW gears.

One thing about those low gears: it's REALLY easy to overtorque them going up hill and end up going over backwards if you've got any real leg strength. :doh:
LOL. :bounce: :bounce2:
So the casette is the one in the rear?
 

hodag

 
Joined
Jun 24, 2005
Messages
702
Location
Omaha, Nebraska
Please go to a shop. Wal-Mart or the like will not size you for the correct size bike. They will not offer you a repair contract. They will not make suggestions as to what kind of bike you should buy. Plus, do you really want a bike built by a minimum wage 17 year old?

I was a bike mechanic/sales guy for about 6 years. Anything by Trek/Gary Fisher, Specialized, Cannondale or others will meet your needs. Ask questions, take test rides, buy what rides the way you like, not what the magazines says is cool.

Hodag
 
Joined
Dec 13, 2004
Messages
763
Location
Red Triangle
Local shops will usually set it up for you, fit you to the ride, and give you a free tune up and readjustment after the cables stretch out and set.

Shop bikes are worth spending a few extra bucks for as the superstores pay outside help to build the bikes and the Big Box Droids have no fricken clue whatsoever.

Local shops will take better care of you, they know their stuff, and they can recommend trails and paths that the Droids have no knowledge of.

Besides, WalMart is the devil!!!
 

PAFJ

 
Joined
Jul 27, 2005
Messages
1,643
Location
Roseville, CA
Here's a good site on MTbikes. I ride a '04 Speacilized Enduro Pro, it's a good all around full suspension trail bike. Can't go wrong with a Speacialized but will pay more than $750 for a new one, a decent one anyways. This site has a bunch of used bikes in the classified section. I always think it's better to pay more for quality bike that will last awhile but I guess it all depends on what you want it for :)

http://www.mtbr.com/
 
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
226
Location
Honolulu, HI
Thanks for all the sugguestions! My bike needs a tune up biiiig time. 7th gear slips alot. :D The comp dosent even work no more. :D
 
Joined
Mar 9, 2004
Messages
601
Location
Flagstaff, AZ
If you are looking for new, contact Razor. I guess he has a bike shop in CO and has GREAT prices on a couple of bikes I asked him about.
 
Top Bottom