Bib Hinge Color? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We're in the painting stages on my son's 1973 FJ40 and I was curious if the bib hinge should be body color or black to match the frame?

The one I took off was painted body color and rusted badly. The new one I sourced is nice shiny black powder coat.

Thanks!

Black :clap:

I assumed they were all the same, I have 3 trucks and they are all black. None of which can be verified that they came that way from Toyota.

I did look at a 1966 40 last week with 18,### original miles and it is all original even the owner and it was black. I hope to own this truck in the near future. :D

The cast portion of the hinge is body color from the factory on a 73. Was actually painted right on the bib, bolts and all. Terrible idea, because the primer underneath promoted rust. The pressed steel peice on the frame is black as I recall. You have probably noticed the slot in the hinge allowing the bib to be pulled off easily. As near as I could tell the front bib, fenders and aprons were assembled as one peice and painted together. They must have been placed on the first, then the tub dropped on the frame with the engine and drivetrain already installed.

Paint all parts seperate this time, the primer coat under the aprons and where the bib bolted on promoted rust also. Same thing with the windshiled hinges, door hinges, etc...

Use a good solid rubber or belting under the bib. The stock fabric peice promoted rust also. However, a very soft rubber there will promote vibrations in the bib and headlights at night. So it needs to be stiff.

The color my son settled on is 1975 Olive Green....I believe code 653. The version that looks green not brown.

I'll include some pictures from last Sunday. These are our first coats of primer. We plan 2 more coats of primer after we block, then sand those with 400 and finally primer sealer prior to painting.

If all goes well we'll have paint on this weekend.
IMG00015-20100509-1758.jpg
IMG00016-20100509-1758.jpg
IMG00021-20100509-1830.jpg

Green vs brown is subjective. It's olive and it's the best color. :flipoff2:

I mentioned that is the green(ish) color because it looks green......on the stir stick. I know there is an Olive Brown too......

This is green like Kermit the frog.

Rechecked the paint code we got.....637.....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom