bfg tire pressure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings,

I recall this being discussed a while back however I could not locate the thread.

I just installed BFG's 285/75/16's. Stamped on the tire reads 65psi cold. I would not think that I should run that high of pressure. I told them to inflate to 40 psi. Is there an optimum pressure to run these tires for road use?

Thanks in advance,

Steve
94 115,000

40/45 on the street is fine.

65 psi will likely cause kidney damage. I run 15psi on trails, 35psi around town, and 40-50psi out on the open road with my 285/75/16 GY MT/Rs which also call for 65 psi cold.

The higher the pressure the harsher the ride will be, but your truck will be capable of slightly better mileage figures.

As we all know (especially us former Explorer owners), more air = a cooler tire = less chance of tread separation = less chance tire manufacturer gets sued. It would be hard to imagine anyone keeping in check with the tire manufacturer's recommended pressure. I've always ran BFG A/T's (3 sets) around 40 psi and done pretty well with wear. Mi dos centavos.
Jason

Mine are stock size 275/75/16 BFG AT/KO's with around 45K miles on them and 10/32's of thread. The wear has been even and I alway run 35 psi all around. My LC is run empty almost all of the time, I don't even keep the third row seats in the LC.

I ran a set for about 30k mi. Ran 36psi except on trips when the vehicle was heavily loaded, then I would bump it up slightly to 38-39psi. Rotated every 5k and all tires had even wear and had approx 12/32" tread remaining when I sold them.

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom