BFG MT/R or BFG AT?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i know weve gone over this time-and-time again, but im wonderin if any of you out there are running either the BFG MT/R or the AT version?? i live in colorado, and of course, have to deal with the snow on occassion. road noise is important as well. i know the AT will be less noisy than the MT/R, but was wonderin if anyone had any feedback on their experiences with either of these tires. please help...-sean

yeah...thats what i meant...sorry

I say the biggest factor in determining a tire is: how much time you spend on-road versus off-road. If it's a daily driver I think you'd be happier with BFG AT/KOs. I have the BFG MTs on my Cruiser but it only spends around 2-3k a year on the road. Just something to ponder :beer:

BFG M/T hands down IMO. I've owned multiple sets of BFG A/T in the past and while it is one of the best, if not the best A/T tire out there, I prefer the M/T. I just purchased my first set of M/T 33/12.5/15 2 months ago and they are great. I don't notice much more road noise, if any. Neither tire is exactly quiet and it is always better to have more tire than you need. Something to consider though - the A/T gives a little better treadwear than the M/T, but also gives you less capability offroad and in the deep stuff. I guess it all depends on what you are using your Cruiser for. A daily driver with limited off road use may want the A/T, but anyone that uses it heavily for off-road use or lives in an area with snow, etc. may want the M/T. Just my opinion though. :D

BFG M/T hands down IMO.  I've owned multiple sets of BFG A/T in the past and while it is one of the best, if not the best A/T tire out there, I prefer the M/T.  I just purchased my first set of M/T 33/12.5/15 2 months ago and they are great.  I don't notice much more road noise, if any.  Neither tire is exactly quiet and it is always better to have more tire than you need.  Something to consider though - the A/T gives a little better treadwear than the M/T, but also gives you less capability offroad and in the deep stuff.  I guess it all depends on what you are using your Cruiser for.  A daily driver with limited off road use may want the A/T, but anyone that uses it heavily for off-road use or lives in an area with snow, etc. may want the M/T.  Just my opinion though. :D

I agree as well, i have a set of 33x12.50x15 BFG M/T's are great. I've logged about 10,000 miles on mine and they still have a ton of tread left! My cruiser is my DD it's the only vehicle i have so it goes everywhere. Lots of freeway use and i have the top off and the tires are rather quiet. By the end of the summer i might have a set of 33" BFG M/T for sale seeing that i want to upgrade to 35" tires when i'm 53:1 after my sm465 swap :D

I run the 285-55x16 BFG-MT/KM's on my GMC daily driver (33x10.5) and really like them. Handle well, survived a 2000 mile trip to KY/TN with a 8000# trailer/load last week, seem to be a great tire. I do want to sipe the center lugs tho, they are a bit slick on wet roads in 2WD with that 300 horse 6.0 V8 pushing thru the twin 3" manifold-back exhaust....hehehehe

thks guys...im goin with yalls advise. i have a little VW too, so my efjaysixty be fine with the MT's. thks again...-sean

let us know how they work for you
next time i get tires might try the m/t's ive got bfg a/t ko's on everything except my 80 and am happy with them other than their performance in mud (they suck in mud).

PO of my cruiser put 33x12.5 BFG AT on, and trust me when they wear down i'm going mudder. they are goodish, but honestly, apart from a tiny amount of extra road noise, the MT probably drive better that AT. i understeer to the max in the wet with AT. MT seem grippier on wet pavement.

I've owned both. I've used BFG MT's in Texas, Idaho, Colorado, and Alaska. They handle just fine on ice and snow. If you don't off road much, they will easily last 40k. Sit 'em next to an AT, . . .they look so much better. MT's, no question in my mind.

The BFG MT's are hard to beat for a nice all around tyre. Especially for the price. Supprisingly quiet and well mannered on the road and good in the mud and snow, No problems on ice or in the rain either. But I've still just got a well worn 2F engine pushing them so I'm not in any danger of being over-powered.

HECK YEAH!!! i just put those 33x10.5 BFG MT's and love em. no noise, and the driving is awesome. ill never look back! thks guys, sean

HECK YEAH!!!  i just put those 33x10.5 BFG MT's and love em.  no noise, and the driving is awesome.  ill never look back!  thks guys, sean
Until you get in some mud! :-/ :D

I've gotten 70,000 miles out of my last set of BFG Mud Terrains between my old 60 and my 80. That's amazing in my book. I love them. I just replaced them with the new KM's. I've heard that some people have been experienceing bead leaking problems with them but with the good luck that I've had so far, I didn't hesitate to get them still.

I've driven them in pretty much everything and have been impressed. Cruisin, I don't get the really gooey mud like you have down there very much but on the occasions that I have run through the crud, I came away very impressed. I was running a 33x9.50 though so I think that helps out in those conditions.

:wave:
I have 4 sets of tyres 1/ dumper style for real mud 2/ bfg 35'' mud terrain with chains for mud and slippery clay. 3/ worn jungle trekers from Malasia for good traction on the rough roads in dry season. 4/ 31.50 at for the highway use I change wheels and tyres all the time according to road and or weather conditions.

Just wondering...Anyone driven the BFG Krawler on the highway or just off road?

ive been wrkn those MT's and theyre fine. my roomate just put the same size AT's, and loves those too. i guess its all in the way you want em to look. i think the MT's are just a liiiiitle bit more advantageous to have on the trail....plus they look cool... :D

I love my MTs. Got 50k on em and lots of tread left. They look awesome.

I wasn't to happy with them in the snow tho.

Northern Vermont snow was a little rough this year. Got cheap rims and studs for winter.

Got the ATs on the Tacoma. Less noise on the highway. Don't look as good tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom