BFG KO2 Cracking at 10k (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

85x

Threads
Had my Ko2's about a year (roughly 10k) with moderate off-road use. Not really rock crawling, but dirt and gravel roads. After my most recent trip I noticed some cracks developing on all four corners running right down the center of the tread. Haven't seen too many people post about this problem, so I thought I'd post up and see what the consensus is. Thanks for your input.

full

IMG_1426.JPG

@Trunk Monkey Yes, correct. The lines you circled are what I am talking about. They are pretty shallow right now, but I just noticed them so I wondered if it will continue to develop.

I just went and looked at my KO2's. I only have about 3000 miles.. Nothing like that on them. Is that on all the tires?
I will keep an eye on mine in the meantime

I would start a conversation with BFG so they are aware of your tires. Tire warranties are very subjective but if you start the conversation now then you are building your base and showing you are not demanding anything just letting them know what you are experiencing.

In the bead of your tire there is a bar code that they can tell down to the shift and person and mold number and ect......

Better safe than sorry.

Those look just like sipes that are done at the tire store. I used to sipe tires when I worked at major tire retailer so I recognize them. When I used to perform siping, I would sipe perpendicular to the tire rotation direction(which is probably more commonly recognized). Depending on a variety of factors, siping can lead to chunks of the tire getting torn away as smaller pieces are cut from the siping. This is more common when siping tread with lots of factory sipes and siping that extends to the outer edges of the tire. Sipes in the center appear to be less vulnerable to damage and even more so, when they are not as deep.

IMG_20160627_145738.jpg
IMG_20160627_145759.jpg
IMG_20160627_145811.jpg

These tires were siped by the retailer, when they were first purchased. I requested that they be siped in the center only and at about 50% of the tread depth. The sipes were not very noticable when they were new, but became more obvious as the tires wore. Now the sipes are almost worn out of the tires and remain very shallow. as the tires wear, these will go away. Hope that helps.

EDIT:
Thanks to information in this thread, I have realized that though these cracks look very similar to siping, they are not caused by a retailer, and likely some sort of manufacturing related issue. These tires were replaced under warranty.

Last edited:
Bfg has some liability in this. Especially if you report the situation and photographs in a documented email. Then they'll be on the clock. And the retailer and the wholesaler as they may have stored the tired in an abnormal place. I dont know im just thinking out loud but send your pics.

Well damn... I'm at 3,000 but I'm going to keep a close watch now.....

I had this issue, BFG took care of me really well. 100% replacement which I didn't actually expect. I was also able to switch to KM2s.

I had this issue, BFG took care of me really well. 100% replacement which I didn't actually expect. I was also able to switch to KM2s.

Would you mind sharing what you did? Where did you purchase the tires? Did you contact BFG customer service? How many miles did you have on your KO2? Did you have to ship the bad tires to them?

I think we all can benefit to hear your story in case our tires starting to have this problem. I have maybe 4-5K miles now, and so far no problem - crossing my fingers.

Thanks
Chris

I bought them at discount tire. They gave me a hard time with the warranty. I emailed BFG and ended up going to Costco for the replacement. I had about 7k miles on them when replaced, and about 500 on my spare which had been rotated in. It was also cracking in that short time.

Had my Ko2's about a year (roughly 10k) with moderate off-road use. Not really rock crawling, but dirt and gravel roads. After my most recent trip I noticed some cracks developing on all four corners running right down the center of the tread. Haven't seen too many people post about this problem, so I thought I'd post up and see what the consensus is. Thanks for your input.

full

View attachment 1281810

full

View attachment 1281810
I have a set on my 2014 tundra with about 11000 miles on them and noticed 2 tires with light cracks in the same area your tires are showing.

If your tires are cracked, would you post the size, miles, when they are manufactured - see tire info link below, and anything else you think it is important. I think this would help the community. Lots of us bought KO2. If we have enough report, maybe we can figure out if there is a bad batch, or if it only impact a certain size.

Tire info:
Determining the Age of a Tire

20160630_140536.jpg
l
Mine are doing it too, all four tires equally. Purchased 11/17/2015.
5000 mile rotation and balance today.
LT275/70R18

Manager at Discount hasn't seen it before but also admitted they don't look for this type of thing but will
now. Have a ticket going with BFG/Michelin, who also say they haven't heard of the issue.

Definitely was not siped, spare does not have the same cuts, yet..
20160630_140523.jpg

Mfg date is 4315 and 4415

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom