BFG KM3's Side wall cracking!!!!! What the heck!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone, Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this same dilemma with their KM3's. Just came back from a local trip and noticed this huge crack on my sidewall... Is this a common problem, should I be concerned? I bought these tires new from four wheel parts two years ago. Tons of tread left and this happens. So much for the great BFG KM3!

Be aware!!!!

ZOHobGHNQOGANVPu3qUzrw.jpg

q467FWi7SHmH0%%Alukk0Q.jpg
zQBXTrK6SquPc9BP62QK7A.jpg

zQBXTrK6SquPc9BP62QK7A.jpg

Hello everyone, Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this same dilemma with their KM3's. Just came back from a local trip and noticed this huge crack on my sidewall... Is this a common problem, should I be concerned? I bought these tires new from four wheel parts two years ago. Tons of tread left and this happens. So much for the great BFG KM3!

Be aware!!!!

View attachment 2429700
View attachment 2429708View attachment 2429709

View attachment 2429706
I was considering buying these...I'm sure you would have known but did you possibly run over some debris (like a piece of metal) on the road?

Are they loud on the freeway?

I’ve got 2 sets of KM3’s with no issues. Is your issue with just one tire...or more?

I have KM3's, 9000 miles on them so far. There's a small crack / cut (?) on one of my KM's, nothing like what you have though. All 4 tires have some chunks out of the tread blocks. keep an eye on that be safe

I was considering buying these...I'm sure you would have known but did you possibly run over some debris (like a piece of metal) on the road?

Are they loud on the freeway?

No, I did not run over anything and normally if you hit rock it takes chunks of rubber out of tire not cracks like this. So dissatisfied, I know BFG had sidewall cracking with other tires in their brand long ago. I thought they fixed the problem and was assured this was the king of tires to buy... No Bueno!!!! I won't buy again.... Road noise is very minimal... freeway driving is fine.

Running KM3 without any issues...

I see the crack, but I also see what looks like cuts or other abrasions associated with it. As was mentioned earlier, you sure you didn't hit some metal or something that would make the cuts?

Tires look simple, but they're not. No manufacturing process is perfect and from time to time all brands have issues. Regardless of the cause, this is a data point, not a trend that's evident from other reports that I'm aware of.

Be aware!!!!
That's a typical cut, probably caused by a rock or stick, seen many of them. Can happen to any tire, but of supposed 'offroad' tires with supposed 'armored sidewalls' Goodyears and BFG's seem to be particularly susceptible in my experience. If you run low tire pressure offroad, that cut will likely work its way through and leak eventually. Or maybe even with normal on-road use.

Same as Spike. Seems to be more common on those tires here in the Desert. Likely the combination of heat and terrain.

Running KM3 without any issues...

I see the crack, but I also see what looks like cuts or other abrasions associated with it. As was mentioned earlier, you sure you didn't hit some metal or something that would make the cuts?

Tires look simple, but they're not. No manufacturing process is perfect and from time to time all brands have issues. Regardless of the cause, this is a data point, not a trend that's evident from other reports that I'm aware of.

No metal meets rubber here, maybe pics don’t show in full detail. Definitely cracks, jagged and random. Just putting out there for people to check your tires. My truck runs high desert, Big Bear, Tahoe, Gold country Sierra Nevada. So snow and desert. Can’t difference in temps really effect tires this much?

Discount Tire AKA America's Tire would do you right on something like that, in my experience. That's why I only buy tires from them. If it were me, I would have it looked at and not trust myself to decide whether it's safe to run. That's concerning to me, from a safety perspective.

Discount Tire AKA America's Tire would do you right on something like that, in my experience. That's why I only buy tires from them. If it were me, I would have it looked at and not trust myself to decide whether it's safe to run. That's concerning to me, from a safety perspective.
I have given up on bargain hunting tires for this very reason. Discount Tire would take one look at that and warranty it on the spot. They also do free plugs. In fact, I brought in my DD in with a screw in a factory tire (not even purchased at discount) and they plugged it for free, gave me a free rotation and said "just bring it back here when it's time for new tires." That's rare service these days.

RhinoOne, Just my 2 cents, i would replace that tire right away, it just wouldn't be worth the risk to me to continue to drive my family around with a sidewall in that condition.

I never had and issue with KM3’s as well. Got over 60k and 3 years..... over the rubicon 3 times, multiple snow runs, and still looked better than my KM2’s ever looked.

That looks like a "road hazard" to me.

I sliced up a 3 wk old 35" Toyo MT up in Big Bear. Similar to that, looks like a knife to the carcass.
Noticed it when I took it back for balancing after wheeling.
Americas Tire just replaced it with a new one, I didn't even ask. That was years ago, but I just always go there now.

Sometimes you get unlucky with those flint edge rocks...

That sure as hell doesnt look like a crack to me, looks like you've brushed up against a sharp rock. Which is a pretty normal outcome. Sometimes you just get unlucky.

Here in the Phoenix Metro area, some Discount tires will not warranty a tire that has been off roaded. SOME. When you read their warranty, it does exclude tires used off road. I personally have not run across this but have had friends who have...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom