BFG guys, why not Revo's? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK it is time for my 80 to get a new set of skins. I have been a die hard BFG A/T guy for alot of years. As a matter of fact I have had major snake bites in three Bridgestone Desert Duelers and only one in my BFG's. Yet in all of my research the Desert Dueler Revo's are getting higher rankings in the reviews. Price is equivelent and my local dealer will give an in house 40k warranty and damage replacement on them.

So why shouldn't I buy them, other than looks. I spend @ 50% time on dry pavement, 20% on wet/snow, 20% on back woods fire roads (dirt/rock) and 10% on wet/dry clay and mud roads. No hard core wheeling, yet. Has anyone found any reviews that rate the A/T higher? Just looking for someone to play devils advocate.

Revo guys can through in their $.02 also.

Thanks,

Fly Rod:cheers:

Looking at 285/75/16's

I bought the BFG TA KO based on side wall thickness and severe snow service rating.

My wife hits 90 degree granite curbs once in awhile around town, no flats yet.

I just coudn't picture my wife changing a 33" tire with three kids in the truck. I never really looked into Revos.

I have K/O's think they are great never a issue. One thing to consider in Oregon they are considered a snow tire and when traction tires are required you won't need to chain up. Don't know about the Revo's? I would guess it could easily be a price/service thing.

I ran the 285 revos on my 4Runner they are incredible. For one thing they are round--I doubt the BFG's are round. The ran great at speed and did well wheeling too. Granted a maximum traction tire is better for offroading but for what you are describing go for the Revo. When I bought them I found them for $150 each mounted and balanced and got firestone to match the price with a 50k warranty. I don't know of another A/T tire with that type of warranty--can't say enough good things about them. Now I run BFG M/T in 315's --revos only go up to 285. Check out www.tirerack.com --the reviews on the revos are great.:)

I've had both.

Never wheeled really rocky places with either. Of course, who am I kidding, the Revos are on the wife's 80.

Wet weather traction on pavement really sucks IMO with the BFGs.....other than that, I always loved them, and that same hardness equalled long life.

I bought Revos based on the reviews. Jury still out to see the kind of life they give me, but they handle great and noise is low.

Ran 275 Revo's and just stepped up to 285's .... they are great tires in the rain and snow, been great with mild wheeling, they are quiet and from most accounts are wearing pretty well. I've heard more then one person say the BFG's sucked in the rain on the road, and if you are in OR and drive 50% on road .... you are seeing some wet roads ......

I love my Revos. They work better in mud than the BFG I think because of the more open design which sheds mud. On the road they are great and balance super easy. My 285's have no weights on 1 of the tires and the other 3 have very little weight. The BFG's on my Bronco have been on for years and have held up good. I just think the wet traction on them sucks, but other than that no complaints.

Thanks for the input....

I have heard alot of people bag on the BFG A/T's snow and wet performance. I have never had to chain up with them even when I worked at the ski area. I must not drive hard enough, my wife would argue that point, but I have also never had a problem in the wet.

The main reason I am considering switching is due to the reported quieter ride and better wet/snow traction. It is too bad there are no quantitative tests on these factors. If we are talking a 3% increase in traction and lateral acceleration then no big deal. But if the difference is very noticable then I will switch. It really is not that wet in our little portion of OR. Only an average of 20" of rain per year. (not this year:doh: )

I also like the guys at Expert tire. They have always taken good care of me with no BS. They are very high on the Revo, though that may be thier margin speaking.

Keep it coming!

:cheers:

I went with the BFG for one reason - sidewalls.

Think about. How many tires have you seen ruined off road? What percentage were holed sidewalls? For me, it is 100%. That is the weak spot on the tire.

So if the sidewall is the achilles heel, where are you going to want the extra 10% performance edge? I want it in the sidewall. I'm convinced the sidewalls on the BFG are superior, based mostly on real-world experience seeing BFG remain intact and other tires not. I wish I'd had BFG radials on my 40 at Tellico instead of Swamper Radials....that was a long drive to Knoxville for a new tire!

Just my $0.02

Consider the Toyo's & Les Schwab

IMO, it's hard to beat the service at your local Les Schwab, and nice to know that anywhere in the northwest you are no further than 50 miles or so from free tire repairs, no questions asked. That being said, I have BFG's on my 80 because that's the way it came and I can't seem to wear them out. On the wife's heep liberty I just bought Toyo Open Country A/T's and they are great so far. I work for a heavy construction company and with fleet of 30 pickups we found these to be the best out there for longevity and A/T traction. We see 60k or so (our parts runner does 150k +/- per year) out of them on a regular basis on 3/4 ton pickups.

BFGs have been around a while and have a pretty good reputation, which makes it tough for a newcomer like the Revo to get a fair assessment since not as many people have had a lot of experience with them. However, there was another thread that compared sidewall plies and I think the D load rated Revo (285 size) is comparable to the BFG. I have done a lot of highway, some sand/clay, and a few times out on some moderate rocky trails with great potential for sidewall punctures and the Revo 285s have had no problems. After 30k on them they are wearing very well. My old '93 rig had BFGs. Compared to the BFGs the Revos are much quieter on the highway and better in wet conditions. Considering your planned usage, I'd go with the Revo 285s.

Buy your tires based on what you expect to need from them not based on what some bag, from the other side of the country or world, says about 'em.

When you guys say the Revo's are better in wet conditions, are you talking about traction, hydroplane resistance, and/or recoverability once the tire lets go?

To give an example, you can have a tire that has very high absolute traction in the wet butgives little warning of its limits and once you exceed them, is very hard to recover. You could have another tire that has lower absolute traction in the wet, but is very progressive and smooth in how it lets go and recovers well. I figure that you all know what hydroplane resistance.

Also for those that have run the Revo's and A/T's, were they on the same vehicle or different ones?

Thanks

Cary

Here's a thread on Revo's: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=29035

From what I have read, it's a toss up between the two. Revo's have performed excellently for me. As you will or may have read in the link.

Just read that you're in Oregon. Revo on road wet traction performance is excellent. Meaning hydroplaning resistance, traction and recovery. Although, in wet conditions, excellent traction means you're less likely to hydroplane.

Last edited:
Mostly on road for me with some mild wheeling with 285 Revo's. IIRC I put them on at about 130K and I'm pushing 155K now. No noticable wear on the tread of the four on vs the spare. Virtually as quiet as the stock LTX and no noticable performance (handling) vs the LTX either. Never had the BFG to compare. Wet performance thru over 30" of rain in SoCal last winter no issues. No snow when we went to the local mountains skiing last year.

roncruiser said:
Although, in wet conditions, excellent traction means you're less likely to hydroplane.

Hydroplaning and traction are completely seperate. Hydroplaning resistance is a tires ability to shed water and keep the tire in contact with the pavement. Traction is how well the tire sticks to the pavement. An extreme example is a racing slick, tons of traction, even in the rain, until the tire hydroplanes.

oh... defined that way... wet traction is excellent. Been through shallow and deeper puddles on highway at speed during heavy rains. No hydroplaning. Either that or recovery is instantaneous. This is just my experience though. I can feel resistance when I hit the deeper puddles. To me it means I'm just cutting right through with traction. This is here in San Diego where we rarely get rain. So when it does rain, the oil and grime leech up for some slick pavement. At least until it get washed away if the rain is lengthy.

I'm really happy with the Revos. No traction or hydroplaning problems at all. As far as hydroplaning goes, I often find myself motoring along on the interstate in very wet conditions the same way I do when it's dry. I slow down when I realize, but I've never felt unstable at interstate speeds in the rain.

As a side note: It seems like I read somewhere that the larger sized Revos had thicker sidewalls than the smaller sizes. I'm not sure where the size line is, though. Anybody read similar?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom