BFG AT 33x 9.50 or 10.50 or 12.50? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've pretty much decided that my next set of tires will be 33" BFG ATs... given that they will last me the next 10-12 years I thought I'd do more research. I've got a 74 Fj40 with 1-2" of lift... and +/- 300 hp.

I've done tons of reading here on mud and have narrowed the field considerably. My use is very street biased (at least till the kids are a little older). I've read that the 10.50s are a little tippier on the street than the 12.50s... and I'm sure the 9.50s would be even tippier.

My experience with tires... 31x10.50x15 Michelin XC ATs on 8" wide rims, Bridgestone 7.50x16 Bias Ply tires on stock split rims, 33x12.50x15 Geolander ATs on 8" wide rims.

Very happy with 31s, quiet, 50k miles+.
7.50x16s scary to drive, rig felt very tippy, all over road, maybe one week.
33" Geolanders, happy with ride, stable, a little darty (have castor shims to install), 30k miles and counting for a little longer...

How do the different BFGs compare?
Would the 9.50s be a repeat of the Bridgestone experience?(scary to drive)
Would 9.50s be too narrow for 8" rims?
How tippy are the 10.50s? Compared to 31x10.50s?
Would you recommend 12.50s over narrower ones? (no sand to speak of here... just rocks, dirt, mud which I avoid, and snow)
:hmm:

At first i wanted the 33 X 9.5's but got scared off by the scarcity ( in the event I need to replace one or two due to failure). No that I have been on the 33X10.5 I love them. They have the skinny look I wanted, ride very nice.

33 9.5s are nice but really hard to find right now.

The tire shop told me two days for 10.50s... and 9.50s are a little harder to find but doable.:cheers:

The tire shop told me two days for 10.50s... and 9.50s are a little harder to find but doable.:cheers:
Good luck with that.
Michelin/BFG has none in their warehouse. I know two places that have a few right now. They are not discontinued but there is no scheduled run of them. 4Wheel Parts may have a stash of them that they are not advertising according the Michelin.
I have an insider. ;)

Edit: I see you are in Kanukistania.
Don't know about international.

I much prefer the 10.50s....they track well, you can find them fairly easily, and they still retain the militant tall skinny look.

I have the 9.5 AT on the 40 and 45. Have been very happy with them. They will probably fatten up a bit on 8" wheels.

Good luck with that.
Michelin/BFG has none in their warehouse. I know two places that have a few right now. They are not discontinued but there is no scheduled run of them. 4Wheel Parts may have a stash of them that they are not advertising according the Michelin.
I have an insider. ;)

Edit: I see you are in Kanukistania.
Don't know about international.

The 10.50s were in stock at their wherehouse... He indicated that it's never a problem to get them.:D

Do you have flares? Without, and any wider than 10.5's, you run the risk of throwing up rocks and mud on the outside of your tub. Not a big deal for some but if paint nics bother you, it may be an issue.

i have 9.50s on a 40 and a 60. i have not noticed or felt anything tipsy about them.
i like them, but believe that the product is short lived,if already not dead, though not officially yet. it has already been how many years that the 9.50 mt is gone. just how many other people are buyinh them?

Do you have flares? Without, and any wider than 10.5's, you run the risk of throwing up rocks and mud on the outside of your tub. Not a big deal for some but if paint nics bother you, it may be an issue.

No flares at this time... But currently have 12.50s. No shiny paint to worry about.:D

With manual steering I'm leaning towards 9.50s or 10.50s... But considering 12.50s in case I ever need to replace one.

there are plenty of 9.5's out there on websites etc. imo

manual steering - i love my 9.5's i couldn't imagine 12.5

I cant find 950s anywhere. Have been trying for several months. Everywhere says.....national back order with no scheduled date to make new ones.

yup i lied... i bought my spare only about 6 months go and there were a bunch of website that had them... now they're all gone :doh:

tire-easy.com was where i bought it.. they had like 50 of them in stock at the time

sorry!

there are plenty of 9.5's out there on websites etc. imo

manual steering - i love my 9.5's i couldn't imagine 12.5
They are all back ordered. Michelin has not done a run of them in about 10 months.
I understand that when I say I have an inside track noone should believe me..

But my brother works for the manufacturer and his desk is next to the BFG project manager.
THERE ARE NO FxxxING 9.50s. (right now)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom