bfg 275/70R16 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to upgrade my Michelin LTX MS to bfg 275/70R16.
Any advice to get a good pricing for 4 tires + 1 spare ?
i would consider too buying a used tire for the spare.

get the bfg 285 75, they fit perfect and will look much better, especially if you get a lift later on.

i do not plan on having a lift later, and am really concern about fuel economy with bigger tires.
Do you also deal with speedometer error with bigger tires ?

My fuel economy actually got better with the larger (285 75) tires, the speedo and odometer will be off about 7-10 percent, it will say you are going slower then you actually are therefore the miles racked on the od will be less per gallon giving you the impression that you are getting less MPG.
But in reality you are getting the same or better MPG as the engine turns less to generate the same speed.

One benefit is that it will take longer to reach the 200k mile mark on the OD. :D

If you live in the hills the engine will work harder and may use slightly more fuel.

Now if you went with 315's you would notice much more of a change in power and MPG then with the stock size.

thing is, i NEVER go in the mud, NEVER go rock climbing , and use the LC 80% on paved road (with potholes) and 20% on dirt road in Baja (washboard, but never extreme off road, and occasionally in the sand) where the vehicule is gonna be stationned full time very soon.
So i plan to change the (very soft) stock suspension with the "Old Man Emu Stock Height Replacement Kit" and need new tires since my Michelin LTX are really worn out.
Basically, the current set up is OK but need firm suspension and new tires that would be easilly avalable in Baja too.

No affiliation, but usually Costco and Discount Tires have pretty good deals.
BFG A/T KO's in 275/70 16 are 177.41 each at DT.
Costco (you should be a cardholder, though) have them at 206.99 each.
I agree with the others.Shoot for 33's (285/75 16). You won't kill them in 50,000 miles (see FAQ) and they look mean! Plus at DT they're merely 10 bucks more apiece.

the 285 bfg AT will work perfect for you and that size is available worldwide.

My costco said they will not sell me larger then the stock size tires anymore.

If you are reasonable and polite, you might be able to talk the Costco tire shop manager into putting a non-standard size on, but it will need to be close to stock, such as LT265/75R16/E (my preferred size). Costco's corporate legal policy is to stay with the factory size. A way around this would be to borrow a friend's pick-up and just take your rims in and have them mounted apart from the vehicle.

This might be worth it, as Costco is currently offering a $60 Costco Cash card by mail, when you buy a set of any four Michelin tires. I don't know how good they are, but the new Michelin LTX A/T2 design looks pretty aggressive, but I don't think they have the same side-wall strength as the BFG. Nor do they appear to be available on Costco's website. I believe they are available in the stores, but I would call ahead first to verify.

If you can wait, they typically run $60 off 4 BFG tires in the fall, usually early November I think.

I had great luck with getting a set of tires on ebay, 450 for BFG's and had my mechanic mount and balance them for 50.

Just my 2 cents

Arsene2000,

All you asked for was advice on how to get a good deal on stock size replacement tires (BFG A/T KO). I don't know where you are located, but I looked online for basic pricing. Then I started calling local shops that listed themselves as BFG dealers. Be aware that the online price will not reflect shipping in many cases, nor will it include mounting, balancing, and disposal of your old tires. Also, many shops include free rotation and balancing, as well as road hazard warranty. I had three nails removed and tires repaired for free by my local guy. So, make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

Stock size replacement BFG A/Ts are a good choice for minimum hassle. They worked well for me in all but the snotty, Virginia mud.

Personally, I did not want to change tire size until I could make the speedo/odo correct also. Teaching my kids to drive is enough challenge, an incorrect speedo is ridiculous in that context.

My sig line gives you the information regarding my truck's 200K birthday presents. I highly recommend the Mark's 4WD unit that Christo Slee sells. It is plug and play (plus a little RTV).

Last edited:
i do not plan on having a lift later, and am really concern about fuel economy with bigger tires.
Do you also deal with speedometer error with bigger tires ?

Yes, but it's not that much of a difference. Do what's best for you and get the size to suit your needs. Although if you're concerned about looks the 285 would fill your wheel well out better. It would not really reduce gas mileage that much as long as you stay with an all terrain. To me, Revo's seem like the tire for you.

Question: Does the 285/75/R16 fit alright in the spare tire undercarriage area under the vehicle?

yes...it will fit.

and the 285 is a much more common size i think too. not much bigger to make a difference in power/mpg.

check discount on ebay as they often have free shipping...

Thanks for the info. I already put 4 new tires on, but I didn't get a new spare so I was going to go get a used 285/75 put on for my spare and wanted to check first about the area underneath. $25 for a shop for the used tire and to put it on aint too bad, I guess so gonna take care of that later today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom