BF Goodrich tire issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just put a set of 285/75/15's BF Goodrich tires with OEM wheels on my 96 Land Cruiser and experiencing a vibration issue. Up to 60-65 mph, the truck runs nice and smooth. From 65-75 there is significant vibration and shaking going on, sometimes enough to vibrate the brake pedal!

Tires were balanced at time of install. Are these tires known to have issues like this (i came from a set of Geolanders) or is it possible that the larger than stock tire size is part of the issue. I'm going to go back to the tire store on Monday but thought I would see if any of you had experience with a higher speed vibration issue.

Thanks in advance, Eric

All stock bushings? TRE's? Wheels mated to the hub good at proper torque? Just some ideas.

What Phil said. Buddy just moved his 35s to a new set of methods on his Sequoia and he could barely hold the steering wheel when he left the shop it was shaking so bad at 40. We went to pull the wheels and 4 of the 5 lugs were WAY over torqued. Wheels were not centered on the hub. We reinstalled all the wheels and torqued correctly and it's smooth now

Thanks, guys. AFAIK, all stock bushings. What is the correct torque for the OEM aluminum rims (I think they are 40th anniversary wheels)?

You didn’t say which BFG tire you have. I have A/T ko2’s 315/75/16 and it’s smooth at 85 mph. I always insist on road force balancing.

Thanks, guys. AFAIK, all stock bushings. What is the correct torque for the OEM aluminum rims (I think they are 40th anniversary wheels)?
1590852492690.png

curiosity @NLXTACY

Thanks for the visual, retro. Wow, I had no idea that the late series alloy wheel is only torqued to 76. Is that a factory spec?

Thanks for the visual, retro. Wow, I had no idea that the late series alloy wheel is only torqued to 76. Is that a factory spec?
Correct.

It's become fashionable at some shops to install wheel weights only on the inside of the rim. I guess some folks think wheel weights don't look sleek when installed on the outer face of a rim. If all the wheel weights are on the inside face of the wheel, tell them you're rather have them balanced good, not just lookgood.

Im going to guess that this might be the issue. on my receipt the description says torqued to 103.

I had this issue and it likely attributed to my wheel coming off the 15frwy outside of Vegas. Turned out my torque wrench was way out of spec. I'm religious about checking torque on my torque wrench now.

It's become fashionable at some shops to install wheel weights only on the inside of the rim. I guess some folks think wheel weights don't look sleek when installed on the outer face of a rim. If all the wheel weights are on the inside face of the wheel, tell them you're rather have them balanced good, not just lookgood.

This happened to me at Discount just the other day. The tech was only putting weight on the inside of the first tire. So I asked him if he would do a dynamic balance instead. He said that it was balanced to zero and the machine gave it the OK. On the dual plane mode it said that it needed an additional 2.5 oz per side to balance it. I guess Discount could save a ton in wheel weight cost by doing this. I still made him do the dual plane balance and so far everything has been smooth on my new Geolandars.

What you want is a skilled tire dude who knows how to use a Hunter Roadforce balancer.

Not many shops have this combo to sell you.

I have run into a bad tire fresh from Michelin, but it’s pretty rare. Gl.

I have been in the aftermarket Offroad industry for 20+ years and have seen many issues with the BFG tires over the years. I would recommend you have the tires Road Force Balanced a good Road force Machine will also tell you if you can spin the tire on the wheel for optimum balance. Unfortunately its been my experience the KO2's don't do as well on solid axle vehicles and if your having issues out of the gate you may want to see if you can exchange them before you rack a lot of miles on them. With that being said there are a lot of people that have had great luck with the BFG's and like anything in life its hit or miss on what works and what doesn't. But after 20+ years doing suspension and tire's we have swapped a lot more low mile BFG's to something else than we have installed new ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom