Beware of eBay Spark Plugs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
About 30,000 miles ago, I put a new set of spark plugs in my 2002 LX. It had around 95k on odometer so I figured it was a good time to swap them out. From what I could tell, all were original. I purchased a set of eight from a seemingly reputable ebay seller who had lots of JDM & Toyota parts and no mass quantities of spark plugs, leading me to believe the purchase was legitimate.

Fast forward to this morning, I’m taking my wife to work and while on interstate at around 70mph, I get bad vibration and flashing check engine light. Knowing this is typically indicative of a misfire significant enough to cause damage to cat, I exit and limp to an Advance Auto to use their OBD reader & pull codes. Got two misfires, cylinders 2 and 7. I knew I had factory coils on 123k; I felt fairly confidant they were the culprit. After moving a few around, restarting, etc I still get misfire and rough idle on same cylinder with flashing check engine light. Hmmmmm

I decide to pull coils and check plugs, here is where it gets interesting- all seven of the plugs I purchased from eBay (I dropped one, bending the ground electrode so I knew cylinder 1 had a Denso from Advance in it, this was replaced at same time as others) had rounded or missing center electrodes. I don’t know how it ran as well as it did for as long as it did, gas mileage is always norm, +/- 13.5ish around town.

The Denso from advance was literally fine, I can only attribute the premature failure I experienced to counterfeit plugs. It’s simply too coincidental that all seven would look this way except the one plug I knew was legit. Just FYI- don’t save a few bucks and make sure you source plugs from reputable seller. Photos attached of two of the bad plugs (all look identical) as well as a shot of the lone good plug. Crazy stuff!
77820FD1-B67B-454E-936D-62C4DEA09ED0.jpeg
623B052B-3A2C-4C7A-9A70-B07D29CCFE58.jpeg

0E545746-7C4A-466E-AE8E-FD9BDA67C773.jpeg

Last edited:
I haven't experienced it, but from various forums it seems like eBay is over run with Chinese knock off parts that are very hard to identify as knockoff. It's hard to trust anything on ebay anymore, seems like plugs and coils are a big one for faking.

Ditto...I had a set of "Denso" plugs do this exact same thing, which I believe I purchased from Amazon...maybe eBay. They had approximately 38K on them.

Ditto...I had a set of "Denso" plugs do this exact same thing, which I believe I purchased from Amazon...maybe eBay. They had approximately 38K on them.
Wow, thanks for the input! I fear this is becoming all too common, needless to say I won’t be making that mistake again. Figured I’d share with hopes of saving someone the trouble next time around 👍🏼

Why are plugs being bought from ebay and amazon? Ignition system components are not a place to cheap out.

Why are plugs being bought from ebay and amazon? Ignition system components are not a place to cheap out.

Agreed. It was a one time mistake that I made. Never again.

I ran into this on a set of eBay AC spark plugs I installed in my daughters car.The ceramic around the electrode disintegrated and a few days later another did the same.I replaced all with a set from a local parts house.If you click on the USA only option on eBay, you probably won’t get any results.eBay could care less…

I ran into this on a set of eBay AC spark plugs I installed in my daughters car.The ceramic around the electrode disintegrated and a few days later another did the same.I replaced all with a set from a local parts house.If you click on the USA only option on eBay, you probably won’t get any results.eBay could care less…
There is a seller called sixityauto or somehting on ebay and he is so far legit. I buy all my denso products from him. Also got the driver's door Aisin door latch mechanism from him and all are original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom