Better gas milage on f40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, i'm looking to buy a mid 70s FJ40, right now i'm seeing between 10-15mpg on these. I'm also a novice to this sort of thing, but how could i increase that and still maintain power/offroadability? Thanks!

10-15 is a pretty big jump.

I average 14-16 w/ 2F SM420/4.11's and 35's.
Timing and carbureation are key.

Theres lots you can do to improve it.

SEARCH.

I get around14-17 with a 1979 mostly stock FJ40. A Jacobs electronic ignition will help, but not much. Champion spark plugs will help a little. Timing will help a lot. Actually, the year of the FJ40 is important too. Some of the older FJ40's got fair mpg. I've never heard of a stock cruiser of any model get much over 19 mpg...

Short of diesels, I've never heard of a cruiser getting better than 20mpg. You can do what I do. Drive it once or twice a week and drive something else the rest of the time.

I get 15-17 with a stock points/carb non-USA system on both of my rigs. Up to 18.5 under ideal driving conditions and with AT rather than MT tires. 10 mpg is probably a bad tuneup, smog stuff, and a heavy right foot.

I get more than 25 MPG in an FJ40 with a stock 2F with 35s.

But that is only going down grade with the engine off (Mexican overdrive). :flipoff2:
Otherwise I get 12-13 MPG.
YMMV, but not much.
If the mileage bugs you, get a beater Honda Civic for DD.

Put in a nice mild cammed, Quadrajet carbureted small block Chev and keep your foot out of it. That's not as much fun but you have to choose

i was getting about 12MPG, i had a Weber 38, header, 3.73 gears and 33in tires.

my motor only lasted me 17,000 miles, so now its rebuild time.

i am planning on running a MAF RV Cam, the Weber, header, try to have the head wet flowwed, ported and polished, and some bigger intake and exhuast valves. i still need to check on prices of it all, so once im all done and back on the road ill post my new MPG

FJ40onNOS said:
i was getting about 12MPG, i had a Weber 38, header, 3.73 gears and 33in tires.

my motor only lasted me 17,000 miles, so now its rebuild time.

i am planning on running a MAF RV Cam, the Weber, header, try to have the head wet flowwed, ported and polished, and some bigger intake and exhuast valves. i still need to check on prices of it all, so once im all done and back on the road ill post my new MPG
Port and polish and the bigger valves is a waste of time.

I get about 15-18mpg on the highway. Not bad for a 40 year old motor. :)

Mace said:

TRUTH!

Mace said:

ok thanks mace

i just ran up to Portland, ME on saturday with my newly de-smogged, headered and tuned 2F and did the 110 miles on 8 gallons. that's 13.75 mpg.

not too bad, and there was a bit of ping in it when i was pushing into it on the upgrade. i was told my non-USA carb has a bit of a vacuum leak at the throttle shaft where it passes through the carb body. apparently it has worn over time, (15 years) and that it is irrepairable.

does this sound like a legit issue? i'm thinking i may buy a new carb during the SOR holiday sale.

Mace, I would have to disagree with you on that statement about port and polishing. The valves might not help, but gasket matching and polishing the head would make a huge difference. The thing would flow much better!!! Less resistance since the air chambers had been polished.

later

Ryan

Morse_FJ40 said:
Mace, I would have to disagree with you on that statement about port and polishing. The valves might not help, but gasket matching and polishing the head would make a huge difference. The thing would flow much better!!! Less resistance since the air chambers had been polished.

later

Ryan

well, im going to check on the cost and thinking about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom