Better gas milage on f40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Doesn't make much sense to port and polish a head that doesn't see more than 3300 or so RPM regularly.

Morse_FJ40 said:
Mace, I would have to disagree with you on that statement about port and polishing. The valves might not help, but gasket matching and polishing the head would make a huge difference. The thing would flow much better!!! Less resistance since the air chambers had been polished.

later

Ryan

CruisinGA said:
Doesn't make much sense to port and polish a head that doesn't see more than 3300 or so RPM regularly.

ill see and tell you guys how it turns out, someones got to try it

700r4 (over drive).. Fuel Injection.. still aint going to get over 18 or so.. I am Praying for 15... I averaged like 12-13 on the way to moab with tbi 350 Stock Drivetrain, 35" tires

How about this: Probably the most powerful 2F motor. 2FTPI-T

isotel said:
700r4 (over drive).. Fuel Injection.. still aint going to get over 18 or so.. I am Praying for 15... I averaged like 12-13 on the way to moab with tbi 350 Stock Drivetrain, 35" tires

I run TPI with a 4L60 and get 15mpgs EZ. Maybe 18 if I went 45 (1200rpm) with a strong tail wind.:flipoff2:

Any clue how the turbo efi turned out? power? mpg?

Lift the Oil Cap and pull a Geo Metro in under it! Who cares, it's fun to be in and drive, I'd drive it weather it got 12 miles to the gallon or 12 gallons to the mile!

AlaskanWheeler said:
How about this: Probably the most powerful 2F motor. 2FTPI-T

I was wondering if Jim ever got around to doing that.. I talked to him a lot about it a while ago. I am glad to see there is another turbo 2f out on the road :)

The main reason a port and polish job are not the best idea is due to the DECREASE in backpressure that gives the 2f it's torque.

Can it make a difference? potentially, but only at higher RPM's. If you plan on spinning the motor at 4K all day long then by all means. Go ahead. if not, you are losing some of the power that makes a 2F great off road.

Hi All:

Needless to say, one does not drive a "F" or "2F" powered truck if overly concerned with fuel mileage!

I don't drive many miles each week, so my opinion is "I own it, I pay car insurance & license fees on it, I gonna drive it and enjoy it!"

Seriously, if you want a serious 4X4 and to have really good gas mileage sell the FJ40 and buy a Sukuzi Samarui!

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

Seriously, if you want a serious 4X4 and to have really good gas mileage sell the FJ40 and buy a Sukuzi Samarui!

WOW!! And I didn't think it was even possible to fit "really good" and "Suzuki Samurai" in the same sentence!

trekker said:
Light reading...

Land Cruiser Fuel Injection
Trash Your Carb and Enter the ’90s!

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/brandpages/toyota/131_0207_efi/

Great article.

I to suffer from the low gas milage scenario. Though I'm planning on going a little different route. I've picked up a 3fe. And plan on doing a head swap to my 2f. Giving me the best of both worlds. Torque of the 2f and slightly better fuel milage and streetability. The only thing I have to do now is locate some flat top 2f pistons since mine is pre 79 engine. Probably going to do this some time next year when I get the balls.

I don't mean to piss in anyones wheatys but if you were to read "How To Build Horsepower" by David Vizard you would understand that back presure has nothing to do with torque. He put it something like this "After literally thousends of dyno pulls on many differant engine combinations I haven't found a single engine combo that made more power at any rpm with a smaller exhaust."
That said, my ranger with a 2.3, header and 2.5" exhaust and no cat didn't loose any low end power.
Jonathan

so john..

Why aren't all aftermarket exhausts over 3" then???

If there is no downside...

My other truck is an srt-10 (viper pwrd pickup). I drive the fj40 alot since it gets BETTER gas mileage and runs on regular gas. So I guess it is all in your prospective of good gas mileage. I love the 40 and enjoy driving it more than the other, it actually gets more attention.

Carrollton, where is that?

o dam, i need more Cruiser buddies!!!

LandCruiserPhil said:
Put in a V8

I would say a fuel injected V8 would provide more fuel efficiency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom