Better fuel mileage? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cost benefit analysis is ,like, sooo boring.
Much better to pay $400+ per month on a payment so you can save $50 a month in gass right?
Compare the cost of a ten year old civic to a new Pius, i mean Prius (or any hybrid for that matter) and you will see with the aid of arithmetic the true reason for the choice to buy a Prius.
I'll give you a clue. It's the same reason that surveys show the majority of solar panels on houses appear on the STREET side of the home, not the SUN side.
It's also the same reason only the upper middle class or wealthy neighborhoods can afford either a hybrid or solar panels.
The appearance of being green is more important than actually being environmentally responsible.
And it takes either a lot if disposable income or unwillingness to do 5th grade math to afford to make that fashion statement.
The guy driving a older economy car who keeps the thermostat down a couple degrees in winter does much more for the planet than the Visa card hippy who has a Prius as his third car.
Just for fun, do a five year cost benefit analysis comparing a $6,000 Land Cruiser to a $30,000 Prius.
Include reasonable
costs.
Depreciation.
Loan interest.
Registration.
Insurance.
And fuel.

Here.
I did this math for a friend when the subject came up. It's a couple years old and reflects what I paid for my land cruiser. Which now has 205,000 miles on it and still purring. And a very conservative estimate on a cost of a new Prius.
Like I said, fifth grade math.

Mileage comp.

10,000 miles at 12 mpg times $3.50 per gallon is $2,916.66 per year. $243 per month in gas.

10,000 miles at 50 mpg times $3.50 per gallon is $700 per year. $58.33 per month in gas.

$2216 cheaper in gas! 185 per month.

Prius is $25,000. $471.78 per month at 5% interest over 5 years.
It is $286.78 cheaper per month to drive a paid off, $4,000 Land cruiser than a new Prius. That's $3,441.36 per year saved.
NOT including the increased yearly registration fees (appx $300 per year) and increased insurance payments ( Appx 600 per year).
(My land cruiser costs $30 per year to register and $50 per month to insure.)
The Prius will cost $3300 in interest alone. Almost as much as the purchase price of the used land cruiser.
Not including the fact that after 5 years and 50,000 miles the Prius will be worth half as much, at best, due to depreciation.
Yearly payment - fuel costs difference is $3,441
Yearly registration difference is appx $300
Yearly insurance difference is appx $300
Yearly total is appx $4,041
Over 5 years is $20,205
Plus $3,300 interest.
Plus $13,000 in depreciation.
Total extra cost of driving a Prius over five years is
$36,505
( to be fair, this does not calculate any extra maintience costs of the Land Cruiser. Over the last year mine has cost about $400 including oil changes. It is 19 years old and has 174,000 miles on it. )

Depredation of $13,000 on a Prius.
Depreciation of what? Zero on a land cruiser?

Buying pre-owned also is the best form of recycling, re-using. It does not require the usage or manufacture or environmental impact of a new car.

Sent via Psychic Ninja Powers!

That's what I sent my friend.
Feel free to tweak some numbers to personal taste, such as miles driven per year. 10,000 was the number he was thinking so that's what I went with. But even if you do increase the mileage remember to decrease the resale value too.
Go ahead and do the math at whatever reasonable mileage you like.

Soap box done.
Just please apply reason to problems such as the environment or economics instead of emotion, the world will be a much better place.

'94 Cruiser with 2.5 OME lift. Speedo is Yellow box corrected. 285/75 BFG AT's at 45psi. Keep the cruise control on 60mph(2100-ish rpm). Just did a tank to tank run from Lake Chelan, WA to Portland, Or and got 16.3mpg's. Around town is usually around 11mpg.

^^^^^Gmonkey -so obvious-I've never understood why people didn't comprehend this. 100% agree with every line of this. If you want the cheapest cost/mile get an older way depreciated generic 4 cylinder car for a couple thousand$ that is not holding a premium value for being sporty or desirable and has reasonably priced parts available new and used-like a 4 door Mazda/Hyundai/etc that can get 30+ highway. Run it another 100-150k mi. cheap driving there

All depends on how many miles you drive.

I put 25k a year minimum on my prius, that's 500 gallons vs almost 2000 gallons or put it into perspective 2000 dollars vs 8000 thousand dollars or 6000 in savings or 500 dollars a month. How much I spent on MM for prius? Almost non besides changing oil and tires. How much I spent on MM for the 80? A lot!

Now i could buy an old gas sipping beater but I don't want to deal with my car breaking down and late for meetings. Also I need comfort for me and my clients when i go lunch with them so beater won't work again.

Now and days I could get a new accord with 40mpg highway but those did not exist when we got the prius. But in traffic Nothing can really touch a prius/hybrid which I do most of my driving. Prius doesn't work for everyone but works really well for me.

...Misspelled via IH8MUD app

From an environmental standpoint it is almost always better to keep an older car running, rather than buy an additional (new OR used) vehicle. Not trying to talk s*** to anyone who drives a Prius, everyone's got different reasons for driving what they drive. But in college we did a case study on the Prius to see if they really were better for the environment. JUST the processing of the raw materials required to manufacture a Prius (mining, shipment, etc) far outweighed any benefit that came with the better fuel economy/emissions. I don't remember what any of the numbers were, but I remember being pretty blown away at what we found. Those batteries are really what make the biggest difference.

I studied environmental and natural resource economics. I learned quickly that the amount of stuff you buy matters a lot more than how much your stuff consumes in order to operate (environmentally speaking). I'm 100% behind people being stoked to "go green," but companies have adjusted their marketing and product lines to cater to that. EPA requirements aside, their first priority is still to sell product, not to go green.

Sorry, not trying to steal the thread but it's hard to keep my mouth shut with stuff like that. I'm a total tree hugger and my 80 is my DD because it's so dependable and I know I'll keep it for a long time, saving my need to buy another vehicle.

BTW my mpg in the city is around 14, by driving as slow as grandma, keeping up on pm, and keeping the tire pressure a bit higher.

Much better to pay $400+ per month on a payment so you can save $50 a month in gass right?
Compare the cost of a ten year old civic to a new Pius, i mean Prius (or any hybrid for that matter) and you will see with the aid of arithmetic the true reason for the choice to buy a Prius.
I'll give you a clue. It's the same reason that surveys show the majority of solar panels on houses appear on the STREET side of the home, not the SUN side.
It's also the same reason only the upper middle class or wealthy neighborhoods can afford either a hybrid or solar panels.
The appearance of being green is more important than actually being environmentally responsible.
And it takes either a lot if disposable income or unwillingness to do 5th grade math to afford to make that fashion statement.
The guy driving a older economy car who keeps the thermostat down a couple degrees in winter does much more for the planet than the Visa card hippy who has a Prius as his third car.
Just for fun, do a five year cost benefit analysis comparing a $6,000 Land Cruiser to a $30,000 Prius.
Include reasonable
costs.
Depreciation.
Loan interest.
Registration.
Insurance.
And fuel.

Here.
I did this math for a friend when the subject came up. It's a couple years old and reflects what I paid for my land cruiser. Which now has 205,000 miles on it and still purring. And a very conservative estimate on a cost of a new Prius.

Mileage comp.

10,000 miles at 12 mpg times $3.50 per gallon is $2,916.66 per year. $243 per month in gas.

10,000 miles at 50 mpg times $3.50 per gallon is $700 per year. $58.33 per month in gas.

It is $286.78 cheaper per month to drive a paid off, $4,000 Land cruiser than a new Prius. That's $3,441.36 per year saved.
NOT including the increased yearly registration fees (appx $300 per year) and increased insurance payments ( Appx 600 per year).
The Prius will cost $3300 in interest alone. Almost as much as the purchase price of the used land cruiser.
Not including the fact that after 5 years and 50,000 miles the Prius will be worth half as much, at best, due to depreciation.
Over 5 years is $20,205
Plus $3,300 interest.
$36,505
( to be fair, this does not calculate any extra maintience costs of the Land Cruiser. Over the last year mine has cost about $400 including oil changes. It is 19 years old and has 174,000 miles on it. )

Buying pre-owned also is the best form of recycling, re-using. It does not require the usage or manufacture or environmental impact of a new car.

Feel free to tweak some numbers to personal taste, such as miles driven per year. 10,000 was the number he was thinking so that's what I went with. But even if you do increase the mileage remember to decrease the resale value too.

Soap box done.
Just please apply reason to problems such as the environment or economics instead of emotion, the world will be a much better place.

From an environmental standpoint it is almost always better to keep an older car running, rather than buy an additional (new OR used) vehicle. Not trying to talk **** to anyone who drives a Prius, everyone's got different reasons for driving what they drive. But in college we did a case study on the Prius to see if they really were better for the environment. JUST the processing of the raw materials required to manufacture a Prius (mining, shipment, etc) far outweighed any benefit that came with the better fuel economy/emissions. I don't remember what any of the numbers were, but I remember being pretty blown away at what we found. Those batteries are really what make the biggest difference.

I studied environmental and natural resource economics. I learned quickly that the amount of stuff you buy matters a lot more than how much your stuff consumes in order to operate (environmentally speaking). I'm 100% behind people being stoked to "go green," but companies have adjusted their marketing and product lines to cater to that. EPA requirements aside, their first priority is still to sell product, not to go green.

Sorry, not trying to steal the thread but it's hard to keep my mouth shut with stuff like that. I'm a total tree hugger and my 80 is my DD because it's so dependable and I know I'll keep it for a long time, saving my need to buy another vehicle.

BTW my mpg in the city is around 14, by driving as slow as grandma, keeping up on pm, and keeping the tire pressure a bit higher.

You of course realize this kind of rational thinking is the perfect way to ruin a consumer economy... :)

All too true. Don't even get me started on fluorescent light bulbs.

Yea, X2! Of course once you start going down that road the question becomes when you change the oil should you just put it back into the ground where came from?

Just in the weed patch.

Fiber, of course.

The guy driving a older economy car who keeps the thermostat down a couple degrees in winter does much more for the planet than the Visa card hippy who has a Prius as his third car..

Yes, the older economy car as the primary driver is the way to go. The supply is plentiful. Where the hybrid really shines is in city stop and go traffic and gridlock, because the engine shuts off when the vehicle is not moving. They are a helluva lot more efficient than anything else in these conditions.

$3.79. Damn. Is that regular? It's $2.97 in GA right now.

Back when you posted that I was paying around $3.90 for mere 87oct regular. Now it's mercifully down to $3.40.

Believe it or not I still havent done a full tank calculation on my rig in the two years I've had it. Maybe I don't want to know. lol It's definitely around 10-12, and that's mostly hwy with about a mile of sand thrown in.
I'm stock besides a 2" lift and 33" tires.

Unfortunately I keep smelling unburned gas, especially when engine is cold. I'm changing both O2 sensors next week hoping that helps but I have no codes besides 401.

(BTW There's no market based reason under the sun for gas to be more than $1.75 a gallon. More like $1.50. - But traders are outrageously boosting the price of oil between themselves, and big oil closed half their refineries in the 90's for just this reason. Undo this and you get $60 a bbl oil and abundant refinery capacity = $1.65 a gallon gas.)

Last edited:
$2.78/gallon in NJ. Merciful

When I bought mine the first fill cost me $1.239 a gallon..........:flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

The least I spent was $1.049 a gallon on 3-23-1994..........

When I started driving it was FIFTY FIVE CENTS A ****ING GALLON.............:crybaby:

Last edited:
I have a 97 LC 255,000 miles, bone stock, original HG ...everything - other than installing Bi Fuel/CNG. Plus, I have a Daily Driver 97 LX450 with 230,000 on it. OME stock height springs with 30cm spacers..with new HG at 160000, Badlands winch- plus CNG kit added right after the head gasket was done. both 80's have Goodyear Wrangler Authority 265/70/17. On both trucks I have always gotten 15 city/ 17-19 highway depending on speed. On CNG I get exactly the same mileage only at $1.77/ gal for CNG (here in utah.) . If you have CNG stations in your area, and your local laws allow non EPA kits, it's a great option. I installed both of my kits myself for a cost of a little less than $2000 each. In four years I have saved over $10,000 in fuel. Engine runs clean, EGR stuff etc. doesnt load with carbon , oil isnt diluted by gasoline blow by, cats run clean. Exhaust is pure CO2 and water ( none of the oxides etc ) so its better for environment. Cost for fuel is $0.12/m city and $0.09/m highway. When gas got up to $3.79 the 80's cost the same to drive as my wifes honda civic. Back when gas prices first went up, and before I converted to CNG my LC 80 became an expensive lawn orniment while a drove the civic. With CNG I sold the civic and my wife let me buy the LX450. Only negative is finding space for the tanks and more frequent fillups ( 160 to 180 miles per fill with my CNG tanks ) You still can run on gasoline so total range is about 500. I'll never go back.

First you need to refine your method of calculating mpg. Fill it it, run it till the fuel light comes on then fill it up again at the same gas station, preferably the same time of day and same pump and then do your calculations. You're
guessing you used 5.whatever gallons but you have no idea what was actually used. Also make sure that you adjust for a change in tire size.

With that said and done if 12-15 isn't accetable to you sell it and move on.

I suppose the quoted poster was just looking for a more accurate mileage in the easily done test. I do something easier but marginally less accurate. I fill to the brim, set the odometer to zero, use the ride normally and refill at the end of the day or early the next at the same station, taking careful note of the amount of gas used and check mileage against the odometer.

Granted I am carrying the added weight of a full tank, for normal use it matters little if at all. Having done my measure under normal use I'm pretty sure I know my normal distances and can enjoy or regret the resultant read. If the read is bad I can then begin looking for the cause.

Kalawang

When I started driving it was FIFTY FIVE CENTS A ****ING GALLON.............:crybaby:

My senior year in High School it was $0.36 a gallon and the local Arco station offered $0.02 discount for regular customers. The cheapest I remember was $0.19 a gallon one weekend in 1970 when there was a gas war!! :steer::steer: :flipoff2::flipoff2:

AMEN Gmonkeyman! Wow, I try explaining this to people when they poo-poo my MPG's. Depreciation is a b**ch - actually, I've sold my last 2 80's for more than I paid. Try that with a Prius....

Include reasonable
costs.
Depreciation.
Loan interest.
Registration.
Insurance.
And fuel.

Here.

Mileage comp.

Over 5 years is $20,205
Plus $3,300 interest.
$36,505

Soap box done.

While It's great to remnace the good old time of cheap gas and even I remember 99cent has in the early 2000. But the truth is there will never be cheap gas like that again and here in Cali we had our average gas price at 4.89 with many gas stations charging around 5.25 and more for regular gas at one time.

Sadly it would be naive to think that won't happen again. Driving the cruiser is going to be a luxury activity in our near feature so do it while you can. For reference we currently have cheap gas price of 3.49 on average.

Plus my cruiser already have just over 200k miles so I think I'll let her rest most of the time and stretch her legs out in fun trips. She won't last forever.

While It's great to remnace the good old time of cheap gas and even I remember 99cent has in the early 2000. But the truth is there will never be cheap gas like that again and here in Cali we had our average gas price at 4.89 with many gas stations charging around 5.25 and more for regular gas at one time.

Sadly it would be naive to think that won't happen again. Driving the cruiser is going to be a luxury activity in our near feature so do it while you can. For reference we currently have cheap gas price of 3.49 on average.

Plus my cruiser already have just over 200k miles so I think I'll let her rest most of the time and stretch her legs out in fun trips. She won't last forever.

In NC, we romance cheap gas - $2.83 at BJ's. Gotta move out of California, it just doesn't jive to pay the sunshine tax....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom