Betsy the Farm Truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jynx

Turd Herder
SILVER Star
Threads
Well it ain't a Toyota, but it will probably haul one around eventually. Besides, I figure you guys will appreciate my strife as we go along.

Betsy is a 1985 Ford F-150 that we bought to serve full size duty as we work on getting "the farm" ready. She is about as basic as they come. Basic stats:
4wd, 300 I6, 4spd w/ granny low

Since she got to our house we haven't done much aside from amassing parts for her.

Currently we have a 2.5" Rough Country suspension system with new springs and shocks all around, a set of 33" BFG KM2's picked up from Elbert, a pair of EFI manifolds and a holly 600 carb.

It came with vinyl bench with an "awesome" real tree seat cover and a b!t#hin' grant GT steering wheel. The springs were soo bad you may as well have been sitting on the floorboard. Our good buddy Jason picked me up a really nice cloth bench and a OE steering wheel that I decided to swap in today and thus begins what will undoubtedly be the first of many new adventures.
20140615_135654.jpg
20140418_164032.jpg

Pulled the old seat and decided to clean the floor good so I lifted the rubber floor covering on the passenger side to find this maddness..
20140615_144234.jpg

Yep, those are holes in the pan and alot of nasty surface rust, so I guess I will give try my hand at replacing the pan soon. Drivers side looks much better. Some surface rust, but not bad. I ditched the factory rubber floor because the jute sound deadening was soaked. I plan to fix the pan, sand everything good, prime it, apply some lizard skin and then paint the floor.

I went ahead and put the new seat in just to get it in but it will have to come out to do the floors.
20140615_185916.jpg

I also played with some paint. I think I am gonna redo it in a semi-factory two tone.
20140615_190029.jpg

Massey Ferguson red and charcoal grey. Gonna really try to slick up the body to try to make the rattle can job look pretty good.

This one won't go like gangbusters, but hope to move it along.

Stay tuned. :smokin:

I've had a few of these old fords over the years. Yours looks fairly solid from what I seen, the floor board rust is typical but you have a good plan for fixing it. For gods sake if it ever needs a clutch, just replace the clutch and move on they're not worth that much lol.

Between here and there

Love the cup holder .

LOL, Yeah, but what you didn't see was the Titans cup full of misc bolts and screws that came in said cup holder.

you killing the character of the truck with all those upgrades... :)

Got my floor repair panel in last week. I ordered it from Bronco Graveyard and must say it was the most well packaged sheet metal panel I have ever ordered.

I also picked up a cheap cat to burn in until I get the $$ saved up to do the Offy Intake/ 4bbl carb and EFI exhaust all at once.

Picked up some new Radius arm bushings and a pair of Poly pivot arm bushings too.

I had planned to burn in the cat this past Sunday, but it rained most of the day. That is the first thing on the "to-do" list so I can at least take it down to get the smog test done to see if it will pass and to see about getting the title and tags on it. Fingers crossed on that one.

Once that is taken care of, then floors, tires, suspension and a trailer... :smokin:

you killing the character of the truck with all those upgrades... :)

I know it, but I just hate it when things are not to my standards... Besides if it had an awesome patina I probably wouldn't touch the paint, but I just can't get behind the half a$$ OD job it has on it now. I also know it won't be showroom quality, but I need to feel safe with Erin and little bit strapped in. Will probably be going thru the brakes and bearings while I have the front end apart. Once I start I generally have a problem stopping until... well until most of it is new or has been rebuilt.

Besides, most of the parts are cheap, except bearings, those d@mn timken bearings and spicer joints are :censor: expensive for a 30 year old truck, and they don't even come in little red boxes. :meh:

Well round 1 on the suspension goes to the 30 year old rusty bolts. I went out to try to swap out the rear springs.... almost 3 hours later I got a total of 5 bolts loose.

20140706_190040.jpg

The nut came off the front mount, but the bolt is seized inside the sleeve... Guessing the shackle end is going to be the same, therefore the plan now is to pick up all new hardware and a new recip blade and stack the odds in my favor for the next round.

Guess I will try to burn in the cat and install the new tailpipe this week whilst I hunt for hardware.

Last edited:
The nut came off the front mount, but the bolt is seized inside the sleeve... Guessing the shackle end is going to be the same, therefore the plan now is to pick up all new hardware and a new recip blade and stack the odds in my favor for the next round.

guessing you're gonna be better off with a cut off wheel than a reciprocating saw, tried that before and they basically just scratch the surface and don't really cut much. Sounds fun though in the 90* heat, best luck!!

Thanks Ted, now that you mention it I remember trying cut a LCA bolt with a recip and it taking FOREVER.... I have a stack of wheels for my little grinder, but probably should pick up a few for my other grinder too.

Last edited:
yeah major cut-off wheel or torch..plus a BFH for fun

Yeah... Cut or burn those suckers off. Gonna waste a LOT of time trying to get them off and will end up having to replace them anyway.

Well I gots 2 new shackles on the way and I was able to pick up all new grade 8 hardware tonight. So depending on how the cards fall I'm thinking I should get the rear knocked out this weekend.

I have everything to do the front lift, but gots the MIL coming to town to watch the little :princess: so Erin and I can go to the tractor pull saturday night. So I think rear and new cat will be my goal for this weekend. Anything else will be a bonus.

If the weather holds this week I might get a little done one evening as well. Or might just sit on the porch and smoke cigars and drink beer....:smokin:

I got out tonight and did a little exhaust work. Unfortunately somewhere down the line somebody redid the exhaust, so my catalytic converter is 1/4" too big. Will stop by pep boys and grab a few misc pieces of piping and hanger brackets to put it all together.

I did cut off the old tailpipe and slide in the new one. Just need to drag out the welder and burn it in.
20140716_203155.jpg

Shackles should be here tomorrow.

Also having an open C-channel frame is soo odd to me after driving Toyotas for nearly 2 decades. I may have to make some plates and box it in just to make me feel better.

Boxing the frame may not be an option buddy, I've had 3 that frame cracked by the steering box, they were all older than yours but still the same frame design. For your sake I hope not.

Between here and there

I wasn't even thinking bout that, I was really just looking at the rear frame rails and how open they look compared to every other vehicle in my driveway.

I am gonna have to clean up the garage tomorrow and we are planning to go to the tractor pull in Chapel Hill tomorrow night, so not sure how much work I will get to do this weekend. Maybe some on Sunday. If the rain looks like it is gonna make things too delayed or even cancelled, then I may back the rear in the garage and try to do a little wrenching.

Tractor pull no go last night .

Still raining here but hopefully will let up enough this evening so they can fire them big SOB's up and drag a sled !

Garage is built just waiting on electric now . Hope to have Grand opening next weekend . Looks like a big old white school house so I'm calling it " Ole Sckool " . Mainly cause I'm old .

Well Betsy was a real b!tch to me this afternoon. At around 1 I decided to try and knock out the rear springs.... grinder made short work of the one stubborn bolt and since all the others on the passenger side were already free I had the old springs out in less than 30 minutes.

New and old
20140720_144822.jpg

The new 5-leaf pack replaces the old 4-leaf and the block. And that folks is where the good ended in my afternoon. What followed over the next 4.5 hours was EVERY wrong way to try and install the new spring. If Erin hadn't been there to lend extra hands I'm not sure I'd be done now.

So 5 hours later we had the passenger side spring in
20140720_175632.jpg

I need to trim the u-bolts and finish tightening them down. Shocks will go on after we do the drivers side.

Gained about 1.5" from the old worn out stock springs and hopefully we got the process so the drivers side will go much faster.

And now that we missed our bar-b-Q with a bunch of friends we had pizza and Pepsi and I need a shower and about 4 ibuprofen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom