Best year of the 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this has probably been talked about over and over but i am about to get a sales job and it requires more driving and my FJ60 is my DD as of now but if i going to be driving more i need to be rolling in something a lil' nicer for clients. So of course i want to look at an 80. I see on autotrader the price is pretty much everwhere. What are some things i need to look at when getting one?

I found the informantion on FAQ page and the slee web sight very helpful. There is a section on buying 80's, check it out.

Fly Rod

Newest, best condition, best price.
Consider both Land Cruisers and LX 450s.

I would stay away from a 91 or 92 if possible, the lack of power can get pretty anoying, and the brakes are not the best! I prefer a 93 or 94 you get the better engine and a good amount of front seat leg room! 95 thru 97 have a nicer interior but less front seat leg room, some guys on the board have modified the rails for the front seats to allow for more leg room!

Or find a '95-97 w/cloth and manual seats - plenty of leg room! You can always add nice leather to the interior for ~$1500-$2000.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=42645

IMO 96-97 and possibly 95 are more desireable, ABS, SRS, OBD-II, 134-a refrigerant, younger etc but they are more expoensive, that said right now I am looking for a 91-92 for a family member because they are considerably cheaper. there are things to be said for the 93-94 also.

...a 1994 of course.

I am not biased or anything nor am I hindered by any experience either.

Ross

RavenTai said:
IMO 96-97 and possibly 95 are more desireable, ABS, SRS, OBD-II, 134-a refrigerant, younger etc but they are more expoensive, that said right now I am looking for a 91-92 for a family member because they are considerably cheaper. there are things to be said for the 93-94 also.
I thought the switch from R12 to R134a refrigerant was sometime in '93, so all '94's have R134a. That is something to consider if you live where you'd use a/c alot, system work/recharge on a R12 system can be $$$$.

mabrodis said:
I thought the switch from R12 to R134a refrigerant was sometime in '93, so all '94's have R134a. That is something to consider if you live where you'd use a/c alot, system work/recharge on a R12 system can be $$$$.

The flip side to that is.

I have a 93 with R12 and people complain how cold the air comes out during the summer times even when it's on the loweest settings.

I crused throught Texas last summer with the air on and the rear windows cracked down.

Another one of my cars is a 99 and I assume it has R134 and well is this thing on? :mad:

for offroading -early diesel models : minimal electrical crap that say's "gooood night" in the water conditions, (ABS, SRS, OBD-II) , manual locking hub (2wd),
to the maal - as new and shiny as posible

I have NEVER agreed with Junk and I won't start now.

However, I agree with Raven and there's nothing wrong with that.

-B-

I'm happy with my 91, however there are some parts that are not available for 91's. Such as sliders and supercharger, not a real big deal but more power would be nice. I'll just weld up my own sliders.

ultimauk said:
The flip side to that is.

I have a 93 with R12 and people complain how cold the air comes out during the summer times even when it's on the loweest settings.

I crused throught Texas last summer with the air on and the rear windows cracked down.

Another one of my cars is a 99 and I assume it has R134 and well is this thing on? :mad:

slide the climate control lever a bit towards the red and away from the blue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom